Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone my 4 month old Harley Quinn was diagnosed with Demodectic mange after a skin test at her vet visit Friday. Vet said its localized and only on a spot on her head and they want to "monitor it" before the do anything with meds. My question is should i be worried or really wait on them or try so home remidies?

·
Premium Member
1,003 Posts
my understanding is that demodex in puppies often clears up on its own. but a friend of mine just went through this with a puppy. he had great results without medication.
wash daily with hydrogen peroxide/borax mixture
apply thin coat of honey

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Start some quality probiotics like Primal Defense by Garden of Life.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Just keep a healthy puppy, when the immune system strengthens, the spot (and the demo) will work itself out.

In the meantime, I had luck with Goodwinol ointment on a localized patch. The irritation subsided and the hair grew back nice and quickly.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Its not that big of a deal, it can flare up and down depending on how they are feeling, My boy has immune issues so it can flare up if I don't look for it. Revolution is a heart worm preventative that also treats mange using that monthly and Bee Pollen (Which helps with TONS of things, but skin and immunity building as two) I have not needed anything else.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My pup was dx'd with demodex at 8 weeks and got prescribed weekly dips with advocate and antibiotics. It kept coming back due to genetics and a compromised immune system. Hopefully you won't have to go through all that drama, but if you do - ivermectin worked for him the 2nd time, and the hydrogen peroxide/ borax soak has worked for him every time since. Best of luck :)

·
Registered
200 Posts
Ivomec worked for my girl after having no success with the goodwinol ointment. She had one spot develop a few months after treatment, but that has gone away now that her immune system has matured.

If you do the dips and medicated shampoos, know that their skin and coat will look really dry and ratty. It's temporary. The skin and coat will heal and get back to healthy once the treatment is stopped.

·
Premium Member
1,612 Posts
I have seen a lot of pups get mange... My boy had it. We followed the Vet's recommendations about treatment, He hasn't had it again.

Ask the vet for a treatment plan, and then work on improving your pups immune system from the inside out, and you should be in the clear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts