Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Video may upset people half way into it. It's not gory but maybe disturbing to some (bleeding hearts ;)) I hope it's okay to post this up. It's on youtube and some of it is informative...people need to know what their dogs are eating in kibble. Even some of the better more expensive kibble can still have 4D meats in them. I'd like to know peoples thoughts on this and thought I would share.

Does Your Dog Food Include Euthanized Dog?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
does no good w/o a list of foods its in

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you can bet that alot of those pretty colorful bags at the grocery stores are some of the foods it's in. Did you watch the 10 minute video?
It is normally labelled on dog food ingredients without a specific protein, such as "animal digest."

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
no, i didnt watch it... i'm sure Kirkland is safe as i've never seen "animal digest" on the ing. label

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just figured it was worth the share...I have heard about euthanized animals and road kill being added into kibble before but the video goes undercover and shows the details of it all.

·
Premium Member
834 Posts
I never feed anything that has unspecified 'animal' proteins. Can't say that I have seen that particular video before, but while it is pretty accurate in what it does portray, it is leaving out a lot of info. It makes it seem like all pet food and kibble contain this, which they do not. If a product specifies, let's say chicken, as it's main ingredient and never specifies anything (even anything as seemingly innocuous as 'animal fat') else, then it is only allowed to contain chicken. (the wrinkle in this is that companies ARE allowed up to 6 months of changing a formula to update packaging, allowing them to 'use up' old packaging on a product that may now be different)
Dog food IS randomly tested for levels of euthanasia drugs like Euthasol, because this actually used to be a much bigger problem than it is now. Scary stuff

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
All dog feeds "short cut" in some form or another, even what can be considered the BEST kibble out there short cuts.. Even if the protein sources are organ and 100% grade A with strong consistency, usually the veggies or fruits included are of lesser average.. All feed companies, no matter excellent or cheap are in the industry for a profit.. No profit no company, simply.

The video is extremely lopsided but it is to be expected, what it dictates is some what accurate though not fully. If i'm not mistaken the video half way on is from PETA, so that has to be kept in mind as well.. They show you what they want you to see and nothing more or less.

The loopholes for the industry are extreme as well, a company can compress kibble with mostly corn and grains then "spray" on flavorings and the other listed "ingredients" and then market that said food as a primary ingredient of say Chicken.. When actually the chicken is nothing more than sprayed flavorings.. Virtually all of your Iams, Pedigree, Old Roy, etc use this as its FAR cheaper. Some of your cheaper quality feeds such as Diamond also used to use this however i believe they have stopped though their practice isn't much better than the other guys.

You have to remember that when you pay $20 for 40 pounds of dog feed there is a REASON that feed is priced less than a dollar a pound, regardless of what the ingredients suggest. Though even with your more "pricey" feeds some are more honest than others.

Feeds that produce both high and low quality feeds... The higher quality really isn't THAT much better to justify the price jump, it is all marketing.. If the price can be some what justified the consistency is never there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts