Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i have been reading a bit on this 4mth rule and how it gets pretty close to your dogs adult weight.

here is my question, where about in the 4mnth rage do you get the weight you should use. It it exactly at 4 mnth or is it more like 4.5 mnths.

the reason i ask is that there is a rather large difference, even just a week makes amost a 6 lb difference at adult weight

at exactly 4mnths(one day early) Papo weighed 31.6lbs. Now yesterday at exactly 20wks old, about 4.5mnths he weighed 38.4lbs. Now thats a 7lb difference that will add up to about 10lbs at adult.

I could honestly care less how big or small my dog gets.

anyone care to shed some light on this?

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
whoa he gained 7lbs in two weeks?? What are you feeding that boy?! lol
Its just a guess, I would say age at 4mo-ish is the general rule. It can be pretty accurate or it can be way off. A lot depends on the dogs ancestry. If there are some big dogs back that it can suddenly show up or they can end up about the same as their parents.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
whoa he gained 7lbs in two weeks?? What are you feeding that boy?! lol
Its just a guess, I would say age at 4mo-ish is the general rule. It can be pretty accurate or it can be way off. A lot depends on the dogs ancestry. If there are some big dogs back that it can suddenly show up or they can end up about the same as their parents.
lol, he actually doesnt eat much at all. Ive posted in earlier weeks on how my dog doesnt eat. I also exercise my dog every day(well maybe not sundays), and he hunts with me on the weekends, so he gets plenty for exercise for his age.

I do an open feed. Mornings he gets 2 cups. Some days he only eats half, other days its gone by noon. On the days he eats it all i usually throw another cup in there. Sometimes he eats it others he wont. His activity level also effects his eating.

On avg. he eats 2 cups a day. I feed canidae with occasional chicken. I also give him NuVet vidy every morning.

I keep well track of his weight, every week i weigh him. He gains 2-4lbs every 7 days(3 on avg), and gains 10-12 every month. Its been very steady growing so far.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
lol, he actually doesnt eat much at all. Ive posted in earlier weeks on how my dog doesnt eat. I also exercise my dog every day(well maybe not sundays), and he hunts with me on the weekends, so he gets plenty for exercise for his age.

I do an open feed. Mornings he gets 2 cups. Some days he only eats half, other days its gone by noon. On the days he eats it all i usually throw another cup in there. Sometimes he eats it others he wont. His activity level also effects his eating.

On avg. he eats 2 cups a day. I feed canidae with occasional chicken. I also give him NuVet vidy every morning.

I keep well track of his weight, every week i weigh him. He gains 2-4lbs every 7 days(3 on avg), and gains 10-12 every month. Its been very steady growing so far.
Thats a lot of food. I do NOT free feed and I never recommend it. Even my pup only gets a cup and a half a day, but I also like a fairly lean dog. The bigger dogs get one cup a day thats it.

I like to keep them pretty close to show condition though, but if he's just your pet then who cares lol, my two pet dogs are fat and happy. hehe

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats a lot of food. I do NOT free feed and I never recommend it. Even my pup only gets a cup and a half a day, but I also like a fairly lean dog. The bigger dogs get one cup a day thats it.

I like to keep them pretty close to show condition though, but if he's just your pet then who cares lol, my two pet dogs are fat and happy. hehe
well after months of attempted the you eat when i feed you thing, it didnt work, Papo is a nibbler, no matter what i try its just the way he is, hence why i open feed, but my open feeding is limited to 2 cups a day maybe 3. I wouldnt really call it a free feed because he is NOT free to eat as much as he wants.

Papo is a very active dog, well we hike or do some activity every day.

I agree with the lean dog, i like my dog that way aswell, and Papo is always showing a couple ribs(hes def not overweight).

hmm, i thought i was under feeding him. Roomates 5mnth old lab eats 4 cups a day, and our neighbor feeds his female pitty(5mnths old) 3 cups a day.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
ok well, first off, i'm feeding kolby to much, cuz he gets a cup in the moring, one for lunch then one at nite, and snacks in between! so .....note to self, cut down on the food!
someone had told me that until they are two yrs. of age they mature. and they actually grow until a little over a year.now i'm assuming they are meaning 'grow' as height and weight, and 'mature' well, yall get it... but if they are their full weight at 4 mths. ......*scratchs head*???
i just dont understand..someone shed some lite for me please! thanks.

·
The M.F. Problem
4,878 Posts
OMG!!!!! I have a puppy right now that has gained two pounds in the last two months! 7 pounds in 2 weeks is friggin' crazy!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
ok well, first off, i'm feeding kolby to much, cuz he gets a cup in the moring, one for lunch then one at nite, and snacks in between! so .....note to self, cut down on the food!
someone had told me that until they are two yrs. of age they mature. and they actually grow until a little over a year.now i'm assuming they are meaning 'grow' as height and weight, and 'mature' well, yall get it... but if they are their full weight at 4 mths. ......*scratchs head*???
i just dont understand..someone shed some lite for me please! thanks.
No no no, lol, they are saying take the 4month weight and double it. lol..thats the guesstimate of full weight!

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
No no no, lol, they are saying take the 4month weight and double it. lol..thats the guesstimate of full weight!
Oooo....ic, *laughs my booty off at myself*
well, that makes a bit more sense....:D

thankx bedlam!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts