Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Kane just turned 6 Months.

He has been getting 2 Cups AM and 2 Cups PM of ToTW Sierra Mountain (lamb) Formula.

He's been on this food since 2 Months of age.

He's weighing around 50lbs and looks great. Past week or two he's been getting a little picky about what he's eating. He eats treats still. Wants food and WILL eat the TOTW but doesn't seem thrilled about it.

I think i'm gonna take him into our Vet just for a little check up to be safe, but does anyone have any suggestions or opinions on this?

Stools are normal, regular, and have no abnormalities in them that are visibly different than his normal movements.

I was thinking of switching him to another brand of food, either Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Orijen. If I do switch to Orijen should I switch him to the Puppy formula? As I said he's 6 months around 50lbs hi 40's - 50.

Thanks for the Help!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Don't switch! You will make a picky eater, dogs go through growth spurts where they need a lot of food then they slow down and will not eat as much. That is what is going on with your pup. Unless you have a reason to be medically concerned I would just cut down on the amount your feeding for now till his appetite picks back up. This is very common in pups as they grow but if you start changing the food you will compound this problem and create issues. Here is a thread about this very topic ;)
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/27671-puppies-not-eating-well.html

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't switch! You will make a picky eater, dogs go through growth spurts where they need a lot of food then they slow down and will not eat as much. That is what is going on with your pup. Unless you have a reason to be medically concerned I would just cut down on the amount your feeding for now till his appetite picks back up. This is very common in pups as they grow but if you start changing the food you will compound this problem and create issues. Here is a thread about this very topic ;)
http://www.gopitbull.com/health-nutrition/27671-puppies-not-eating-well.html
Hmm good read ! Thanks. I have seen him slow down in the past as described, and I just pull his food back up after a while, and we try again later but it seems worse than normal the past couple days. Maybe i'm just over reacting. Not new to dog ownership but haven't had a puppy around for a LOOONG time.

Hah I don't want a picky eater though, so ToTW lamb it is for a while, might make a vet pit stop (no pun intended) anyways though.

Thanks!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Cutting treats could definitely help. Is he your only dog? If so, it could be that he's just not all that hungry and he knows there's no other dogs around to eat his food. I had a dog that did the same thing. She was my only dog since I got her at 8 weeks, and since she didn't have any other dogs to compete with, she started to only eat when she was hungry right around 6-7 months old. If he's normal otherwise, I don't see any need for concern. Just stick with your normal routine and cut out any extra treats, bones, etc until his eating habits go back to normal. Feed him the same amounts at the same times as you always do, if he doesn't eat it after about 15 min, pick it up and save it for the next feeding. If I was in your position, I wouldn't even feel it was necessary to go to the vet, but that's just me (and the vet here is expensive, lol). I would be exstatic if my boy ate less, I wouldn't have to spend as much money on food! hahaha

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
TOTW recently change their formulas, many people have had issues with this food lately. Give him a little more time on it and if then you feel you should switch i would personally recommend Orijen. My dogs do excellent on it. I feed 6 Fish and occasionally Regional Red. Great food. :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
I switched Lo when he was 1 to totw then I noticed he seemed like he had trouble pooping.
I just keep him on the buffalo formula now and add like a tablespoon of flax seeds every couple days...big improvement and I think he likes it better :)

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He currently is my only dog, but he doesn't have free access to food. Treats have stayed the same for the most part. I took him to the vet on Thursday evening and our Doc said he sounds like he has a respiratory infection. Put him on 10 days of Antibiotics.

After about a day he seemed to be doing much better. Food is going down like normal. I've been very happy with ToTW up to this point so I won't be changing. He does well on it, and zero problems with his movements.

Anyways thanks everyone for the suggestions / thoughts.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So he was not feeling well that's why he was not eating? Poor guy but happy he is on the mend and eating ;)
Thanks, so am I! He's about halfway done with his course of Antibiotics

Poor little fella was just under the weather I gather. His food / treats / anything else he can get his greedy little mouth on are disappearing like usual. He weighed in at 49.5 lbs at 6months when we went in.

I've had him on reduced exercise since Thursday. Not getting his two normal walks and no puppy play time with his girlfriends or dog park to keep is breathing light and not working too hard, per the Vet's instructions.
I think Friday we'll get back on our normal schedule. But all in all he's doing great

Thanks again to everyone for the help / suggestions

1 - 11 of 11 Posts