Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 6.5 mo old pup that is a bit nervous when walking on leash outside around my block in los angeles. He is fine to walk until we go past my gate and about 10 feet away. It is there and then that he gets nervous, tail is semi tucked. I can get him to continue to walk forward, but he always turns around and tries pulling hard back towards the house. The cars, people, and other dogs barking seem to spook him too. How can I get him to gain confidence and not be afraid or nervous?

Interestingly, he walks fine anywhere else. He pulls, but not in a running manner. I only experienced this at my current place in LA, but it occured when I first got him at 10 weeks when I lived at another house. Any help is great. Thanks.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Maybe you should try using treats to get him past uncomfortable areas. Im not an expert but it might help

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
You need to encourage him. He has to feel safe and secure. Praise him as he walks and don't try to rush it. Work with him slowly, you have to build up his confidence. Give him treats, praise, whatever makes him feel like a big boy!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know what it is about my block that spooks him. Whenever I take him to pet stores, or to walk at parks or public places, he's happy to keep going. Only in my neighborhood does he show signs of hesitancy.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Maybe there is an off smell he doesnt like, try the treats and praise to get him over it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts