Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as some of you may know i just got a pup thats 7 yrs old.. great temperament but has a few minor issues that could be major if left unattended. so any suggestion as in gettn him to learn his name.. keep in mind his is extremely paranoid. and its hard to get his undivided attention

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
as some of you may know i just got a pup thats 7 yrs old.. great temperament but has a few minor issues that could be major if left unattended. so any suggestion as in gettn him to learn his name.. keep in mind his is extremely paranoid. and its hard to get his undivided attention
Did you actually mean 7 yrs old, or 7 months as stated in your title? Either way, I'm sure he had a name he was going by at the shelter or where ever you got him from, and more than likely different from what you're calling him. Regardless, it just takes time to get him out of the "shell shock" state, and adjusted to his name. You should be following a 2 week shutdown phase, just to allow him quiet time to adjust to the sights, smells and sounds of your home, and not really interacting with him, aside from taking him to the bathroom.

To get him used to the name you've chose for him, just use that name in front of everything you tell him, when ever you talk to him. It will help tremendously.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Say his name every time you give him something or work on him with anything - Like '[name], here's a treat' or '[name] good boy [name]' or '[name], come (while tapping your thigh and making eye contact)'. And defo read about the 2 week shutdown - that can make a big difference in transitioning the dog to your new-to-him situation.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts