Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
ive tried leaving him in the house while gone but he just tears ANYTHING up. last week it cost me my MATTRESS. i couldnt put him outside cause he had just been neutered. if i leave him outback in our huge yard he digs up flowers, garden, plants, hoses, anything bassically. hes not a terrible dog, he comes, goes, sits, lays, goes outside to bathroom, goes to his bed, he listens pretty well. ive tried everything, i tie him up if i must when im gone, but he still messes stuff up. today he tore apart my brand new hose and completely tore apart my back lawn all while i was showering and getting ready for the day. i lost my temper and smacked the mess outta him, now i know its not right but arrrhhhh. ive tried everything i can, he has plenty of toys and knows they are his, he gets plenty of excercise, all the basics. HELP PLEASE!!!!:mad::hammer:

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Until he respects your house he needs to be in a crate while not supervised. Make sure to NEVER use the crate as punishment, give him treats like frozen peanut butter in a kong when he goes in so he associates it with good things. Those last a while and can keep him occupied.

Also, make sure not to keep toys out until he knows they are coming from you. Do not allow him on furniture and your bed until he behaves. The good way to think about it is NILIF (nothing in life is free) you need to get him to look to you for guidance instead of finding things to do on his own. Until he is under control, no unsupervised outside to tear the yard up. Does he dig in the same spots or different spots? Some people have said burying his poop in the areas he digs up might help him not dig. Others try chili pepper and other things to dissuade. Take a look at this thread.

http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/11559-nilif.html

When you say enough exercise, what do you mean? I do about an hour of flirt pole and spring pole, about a half hour of fetch and a good 2-3 mile walk a day, and that's the least I can do without my pup getting bored and acting out. How much do you give your pup? Some need more than others to get rid of energy.

you can NOT lose your temper and beat him, it will only make it worse and could turn your dog into reacting in other ways which could be even worse.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I play fetch with him any time im hoe and evey time i go out to smoke which unfortunately is a lot lol. he walks about 2 miles a day n i play tug a war with him some too. i dont have a crate, but i do have a shed out back that finally i took everything out of so i can put him in there while im gone. he digs anywhere doesnt matter, hate itwhen he does the garden or flowed bed. like i said it took every ounce of patience last week to notkillem after he tore appart me n my gf's matress........thats gonna cost us a lot! used to le him sit on couch or bed with me, but noticed he started losing respect for me so i cut that out real quick. he now has his own bed and goes when i ssay go to bed. another thing i dont like is how willing he is to go with anyody or how hes so willing to invite anybody in. i live in a sh!thole town, itd be nice to know that hed try at least to scare people off by barking. also people are known to get their dogs stolen here which is another reason. any pointers are appreciated. oh yeah he does have plenty of toys, hes just now learning the concept of fetch. gonna build him a spring pole next week

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Take a look at the NILIF and hopefully others with more experience will chime in. Sorry, but that's all I got, lol.

Seems like he is getting exercise like you said, you could also look into a treadmill for inside running, especially getting cold and ice (not sure where you are from lol)

Some people will disagree with me, but is he neutered? I found my boy's attention span was ONE TRACK ONLY on ANYTHING until he was neutered and almost instantly he could focus on training and what I was asking instead of trying to go outside and mark everything up. I got my boy snipped when he was 2. His personality didn't change at all, just his drive and focus. Has he ALWAYS been like this or has anything changed in his routine to cause the rebellion? Look on craigs list, you can usually find cheap crates on there, I would get one for when you go to sleep, just until he learns to behave.

Also, please keep in mind these are not guard dogs. Trying to get him to be leery of people is NOT a good idea for this breed. You should get a doberman to a rottie to protect your pit bull (and your house) when you are not home, lol. They LOVE people and should NOT be afraid of them.

And can I get a picture of this little crazy pup of yours, LOVE pictures :)

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
:goodpost: @ Ames

You need to give that dog of yours PLENTY of TLC and praise (treats...etc) for doing things right and FIRM corrections for when he does them wrong.

He is just a pup so he is exploring his limits...remember that you are his pack leader so remain calm, confident and persistent. Sooner or later he will catch on.

Also, it is in these dogs genes to love people...contrary to popular belief.

Good luck :)

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Registered
106 Posts
ive tried leaving him in the house while gone but he just tears ANYTHING up. last week it cost me my MATTRESS. i couldnt put him outside cause he had just been neutered. if i leave him outback in our huge yard he digs up flowers, garden, plants, hoses, anything bassically. hes not a terrible dog, he comes, goes, sits, lays, goes outside to bathroom, goes to his bed, he listens pretty well. ive tried everything, i tie him up if i must when im gone, but he still messes stuff up. today he tore apart my brand new hose and completely tore apart my back lawn all while i was showering and getting ready for the day. i lost my temper and smacked the **** outta him, now i know its not right but arrrhhhh. ive tried everything i can, he has plenty of toys and knows they are his, he gets plenty of excercise, all the basics. HELP PLEASE!!!!:mad::hammer:
:welcome: Well I can tell you that I've had to replace my water hose & my in-laws' lol. Your pup is like a toddler right now & you have to let him know who is ALPHA. 1st thing you should do is get that crate and when ever you are gone...he should be in it. As for digging...easiest solution is supervise him when he is back there then you can stop him from digging.

crate & supervise

Oh & pit bulls love people so they suck at security overall

·
Registered
11 Posts
Im having the same problem with my year old loves to tear things up. Espically digging he has destoryed my mothers garden bed nd ive tried everything. He gets alot of exercise at least a 1/2 mile a day. Plus we go outside a he'll run around the back yard with his ball. His new thing is lifting he leg on everything inculding me! Hes a great dog very passionate but its so fustrating

·
Registered
10 Posts
Im having the same problem with my year old loves to tear things up. Espically digging he has destoryed my mothers garden bed nd ive tried everything. He gets alot of exercise at least a 1/2 mile a day. Plus we go outside a he'll run around the back yard with his ball. His new thing is lifting he leg on everything inculding me! Hes a great dog very passionate but its so fustrating
half a mile a day? if its a year old pitbull you've got there is no way thats enough excercise unless hes got health issues preventing him from going any further? if hes lifting his leg and peeing on you then hes marking you as his territory and hes top dog in the pack, thats not a good place for him to be for your sake and everyone elses. If that continues you may end up with real dominance issues. Get a few books, Caesars Way, be the leader of your pack is a good read. good luck with him.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
GREAT ADVICE!!! NoWuCme..

Your dog is a working dog, you'd have better luck taking him everywhere you go! LOL (dont eat the car, not the car )

Jokes aside, sounds like your dog needs a lil more exercise and firm obedience training.. Have you thought of getting a dog crate? Most dogs I've had need a crate or at least crate training until their about a year or so, prevents the house from being wrecked and the yard being obliterated.

Obedience Training - Pitbulls : Go Pitbull Dog Forums

Here ya go ^^^ plenty of great tips and hints..

:welcome: to gopitbull.com !!

·
Registered
7 Posts
shock collars

Our male pit is 85 lbs and quite strong. When he was a puppy he ate shoes, furniture, and blankets. He was also eating socks and other small items and we were worried they would get lodged in his intestines. We ended up going to farm and fleet and getting the roaming shock collars hunters use with their retrieving dogs. When D was just a little pup we wouldn't because he was too tiny, but as he got older and larger and was used to the yard collar the shock wouldn't be so harsh. The hunting collars allow three different buttons, one for just a tone, and two for shock. There is a dial, 1-8, for shock strength. To give you an idea our girl is only 45 lbs and we never go higher than 3 with her, our boy, D is 85 and has a high pain tolerance so we have had to go up to 6. the other two buttons are for shock, one does the strength of the dial and the other does double that strength automatically. When D would do something unfavorable, such as bark meanly at a neighbor kid (he thinks their back packs are attacking them) we would give him a tone and then a shock. After a while all we had to do was tone him. It's great because we can take the dogs to family events and public parks and we leave the roaming collars on so if they go too far or jump on grandma because they're too excited we just tone them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
For furniture when D was a pup we used Red/Cayenne pepper and sprinkled it on any lamp cords or furniture legs, especially rocking chairs, so if he licked them he would get a bitter taste

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
NO shock collars unnecessary and cayenne pepper kills a dogs scenting ability... Kids put that all in there lockers and cars at school and ruined 4 or 5 dogs.

Dogs are a reflection of their owners and or the time an owner spends with them; I've had the most high end dogs you can imagine and shock collars are a waste of money IMO your voice needs to be the shock collar.

Respect is earned .. NOT given, no matter the species....

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
NO shock collars unnecessary and cayenne pepper kills a dogs scenting ability... Kids put that all in there lockers and cars at school and ruined 4 or 5 dogs.

Dogs are a reflection of their owners and or the time an owner spends with them; I've had the most high end dogs you can imagine and shock collars are a waste of money IMO your voice needs to be the shock collar.

Respect is earned .. NOT given, no matter the species....
:goodpost: Unless your hound responds exceptionally well with harder forms of training, shock collars will break down soft dogs extremely quick. Even with a harder hound its not something that is really needed if you are doing everything else properly, very, very few situations/circumstances would require the use of one and even then its not something that you keep using.

Reactions: Firehazard

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Shock collars really need to be used the right way or they can be abusive. Not too many people use them correctly without getting guidance for a professional first. The example above would not be a reason to use a collar IMO. I love E collars and I use them all the time for different types of training but when you are too lazy to teach things the proper way and just use the e collar I have issues with that.

Back to the OP a crate your can find on craigslist or get one new at walmart for about 70 bucks that is cheap compared to all the things the dog has and will destroy. I suggest crate training your dog and you will be much happier when you get home. There is a stick thread I made in this section that talks about how to crate train.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts