Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I just want to give a little background on our sweet pup before I jump into some questions.

Brigid is a 7yo rescue that my wife and I have had for four years. When we got her, we quickly moved from a studio apartment to a townhome with its own backyard. It didn't take much time before she was obsessed with the backyard. Some of this obsession stemmed from the dense rodent population (which we didn't know about at the time) and later she associated the backyard with pure fun and joy. This got to the point where she would station herself by the back door at all times, she would physically shake with excitement as we were opening the door, and would bolt through the door before it was opened all the way and jump off the back porch to make laps around the yard. Due to several injuries from jumping off the concrete porch we attempted to train her not to jump. We also tried to teach her to "heel" so that she wouldn't be hit by the door on her way out. These attempts never lessened her enthusiasm. I also want to add that she also spent time bathing in the sun, laying in the dirt, and being generally curious in her exploration of the yard.

Ok, fast forward to the present. We have moved to a new home with a yard (without a fence) and take her on multiple walks a day. When we let her out in the yard to play, she turns around to go back inside. We try to entice her with a toy or ball, but she quickly bores of this. She is not interested in being outside, in lounging in the sun, or in exploring. Inside her mood worsens. She goes from room to room (following my wife and I) with her toys and spends most of her day sleeping or laying on her dog bed. We've tried "enrichment" activities to keep her busy, but she completes the activities too quickly or get's bored (She is not really treat motivated). We fear she is depressed and are growing more and more worried. She still eats and drinks water, She never asks to go outside and must be encouraged to use the bathroom in the yard. She seems very bored, and subdued. The attention we give her throughout the day doesn't seem to be enough to keep her interest. She is very easily trained and we are trying to think of ways to keep her busy and happy. We've only moved into this home a month ago. Should we be worried? Is this a phase?

Anyway, thank you for reading this long post. Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
concerned Mom and Pop

·
Super Moderator
5,297 Posts
First, welcome to Go Pitbull.
It could very well be that it will take some time for her to acclimate to her new surroundings. If you haven't already, I'd suggest having her checked out at the vet to eliminate any health issues. Past that keep on doing what you are doing. Give her plenty of physical and mental exercise.
We would love to see some pictures of your girl. What is her name?

Joe

1 - 2 of 2 Posts