Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,
Im new to this forum, but I have just been thinking lately that my pup is definitely small. Here is the latest picture I have of him he is about 8 months old right now. Just seeing what peoples opinions are b/c I know alot of people do not see their own dog as beings big especially when they had him since he was a little baby

Thanks Mark

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
hard to tell in a pic if they are big. What does he weigh and how tall is he? and is he APBT ? or american bully?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

I know he looks great but hes a little small. I dont really care I love the heck out of him just the way he is and hes a little snuggle bunny too. But I will have to get a stacked pic of him and his a APBT not AM Bully. Do some just grow slower than others?

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Do you have a ped for him?
My Ecko is short and stocky. He was neuterer early because he is a shelter dog. But he is healthy and size doesn't matter to me. :)
Also, they are pretty much still growing until around the age of 3. So he's not done growing yet.

What did you name him?
and
Welcome to GP.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No ped,

his name is COBALT

because when I got him @ 7 weeks his eyes were so blue and the name just fit. now hes all types of names Tobe, Tobin, Cobe, whatever works lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
well APBT's arent big dogs to begin with so not sure what your comparing him too? they are like 25lbs-50lbs average , maybe 60-70lb if on the larger side. Whats his ped look like? and weight and height would help.

Edit: just read no ped, without the ped he isnt pure and cant be guaranteed he is even APBT. Alot of people confuse bullys for APBT even the breeders. You very well may have a mix or bully of some sort. Also they all range in sizes so much you cant compare to another dog of the same breed even. he looks healthy thats all that should matter.

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Good name for him. :)

"I have just been thinking that my puppy is small for its age. But I know they can grow up until they are 2. Is he just a slow grower or what. I saw his mom and dad too his dad was a 60-75 blue nose and his mom was a 45-60 red nose here is a picture give me any insight you have or questions."

Nose color is not a blood line, just a nose color. The average weight of a true APBT is around 35lbs to 65lbs. If the parents weighed that much I'm not sure that I would call them APBTs. Do you have a pedigree?

You should stick to just one thread per question or you'll confuse others and get multiples of the same answers.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i'd wait till he's 1.5 yrs old before you neuter .. also ABPTs arent supposed to be huge.. weight ranging 35-65lbs.. males on the heavier side

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didnt mean to post 2. Im new to this and it didnt show up when I did the first one so I did it again and was more specific. But I was guessing on the weight of his parents probably on the lower end of those guesstimates as well. I also do know the nose color doesn't mean anything besides the color thats why I put red nose and blue nose I was just stating what they were.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
really everyone has been telling me to do it when they are 6-8 months old and thats where he is now so I was going to do it asap. But what are the advantages to waiting?

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
quoted by one of the more knowledgeable people here

I would not reccomend doing it before he has time to mature. at least 12-18 months but that is JMO. If you want to do it earlier wait till at least 9-10 months

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Waiting will allow his hormones to do what they do and help him mature a bit quicker. Sometimes neutering early can slow things down. Neutering is a good idea, but if you don't have any intact females around you can hold off for awhile. Keep him on a short leash and don't let any accidents happen.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
really everyone has been telling me to do it when they are 6-8 months old and thats where he is now so I was going to do it asap. But what are the advantages to waiting?
It has it's advantages and disadvantages like everything else in life ;) however if you do it at 18 months old he would be more matured and his growth platelets will be closed off by then. If you neuter under a year you end up with a more taller finer boned dog. I personally would wait to but its your decision.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
werd ^^ i'd wait till 1yr at least.. 1.5yrs would be ideal

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MAC

Do you have any pictures of Ecko on your profile Im new to this and cant really figure that out. Or you dont have any pictures on your profile or there is no option for it? I would like to see what you mean by that your dog is Short and Stocky to get an idea and comparison to what my dog could become THANKS

·
Super Moderator
4,580 Posts
Any chance to show pics of my boy and I'm down. :)

He's around 3 in all photos.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts