Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sierra, my 8 week old pit bull puppy, just got diagnosed with parvo. The overnight vet I left her in cost me 526$ just for one night. They said I would need to pick her up in the morning and after that it was in my hands. I have no clue what to do for her! Please help me save my baby! She first started to throw up about 4 in the afternoon on the 20th (Yesterday). She has not been eating at all. I have gotten her to drink small amounts of water only 3 times since she started acting sick. She has thrown up all over the place and only weighs 6 lbs now. She looks like a bag of bones and it makes me so sad.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Youre sayin 500$ just to tell you you have parvo good luck? The test cost 50$ for parvo here.You werent given any meds or directions?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The vet told me that he is giving her IV fluids, antibiotics, antinausea medicine, and to do all the tests to see what she has. They are taking care of her all night for that cost. We have to pick her up at 730 am, and we don't know where to go from there.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id go to another vet or call around. There are things you can do at hoe to help her through it some people have posted recipes for a slop kinda stuff to keep her hydrated I will see If I can find the links and post them here for you to save some time or if those people see it before I can find them they may be able to help. any antibiotics or anythign being sent home?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am not sure what they are going to do. She is in an emergency hospital. I will post what they tell me in the morning. I have some pedialyte and nutrical. I am just so worried about her and I want to know everything possible to save her.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
All I know is one of my dogs who I took on as an adult for a friend of mine had pravo as a pup. She is alive today and survived it Ava is almost 4. If you treat it early the chances of them recovering are good. It's not cheap and your going to need to keep the dog hydrated around the clock that is the most important thing. They should keep her on IV fluid at the vet. And you will need to keep fluids in her around the clock when they release her to you. I really hope your baby recovers there is hope though my girl and her brother are living proof that pups can survive it.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
BLEACH EVERYTHING! Parvo can live in the ground for a LOOOOOOONG time. I am sure that they have kept her hydrated, which is why it was 526$. If a dog makes it through the first 72 hours they usually have a good chance of survival. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Yeah that's true it can also live in the ground like in the front and back yard anywhere your dog has been in the house or in the yard it's there and you have to eliminate it... that crap is hard to get rid of once it infests the house. I am glad I have never had to personally deal with parvo.

·
K9 Pshrynk & Conciliare~
6,363 Posts
if you can afford it go to another vet... period..

if you cannot afford it.. .. pedialite and a baster or pediatric oral plunger; pedialite in plunger/baster and squeeze lightly, let it trickle behind her teeth back corner of jaw if she is not drinking it.. She needs fluids.... Thats the only way to give it all you got if you do not have money for a vet but you will need antibiotics too. The vet is your best option but overnight vets are so much higher in cost.

Im kind country and I've saved 2 or 3 pups with parvo with pedialite treatments; Parvo is a 7 day virus.. Do what you can and thats doing all you can do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What about the carpet in my house?? How do I remove the virus from the carpet? Should I bleach everything now or wait until she gets better?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Id bring her into the cleanest home possible , if she is out tonight Id start but its gonna be an on going process of cleaning for a looooong time. might as well get a start on it. I dont really know about the carpet Id steam clean to start I have heard of vinegar killing germs and smells in carpet but dont know if it can harm and discolor the carpet???

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Bleach it now and keep on bleaching until she recover's fully. You can mix 1 part bleach with 30 parts water put it in a carpet machine and clean the carpets.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Bleach it now and keep on bleaching until she recover's fully. You can mix 1 part bleach with 30 parts water put it in a carpet machine and clean the carpets.
What exactly is a "part", Sadie? I've always wondered that lol
Also, that won't mess up the carpet and bleach it? I am so doing that tonight as my once very white carpets, which are now questionably white, need it. lol
I am a steam cleaning master, but I think the carpets have about had it.
Tornado, hurricane, and a cyclone all living under one roof will do something to some carpets. OK sorry for hijack.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
a part is whatever if you use a cup of bleach use 30 cups water , if 1/2 cup of bleach use 15cups water ect.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Anytime lol I been having alot of those lately, figured I could do it tonight without the drawing though LMAO

·
Registered
859 Posts
If u can keep her hydrated and force food on her she would live ..hopefully my eldest pittie caught parvo when I took her to my grandma's house they have it in the backyard I guess. But we stayed up with her for three nites no sleep and she made it and is 15 years old now :)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts