Go Pitbull Forums banner

A bit upset.

Tags
bit upset
3K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  megz 
#1 ·
So I posted my introduction in the thread. So if you haven't seen it check it out. In short I just got my 9 month old yesterday. He's amazing!

However the suburb I live in really has upset me. Today one of the parents of my little brother's friend told their kid that they couldn't come up here because I have a pitbull.

It's really hurting my feelings. How do I deal with it? I didn't think it would be this bad already! It's been less than 24 hours...

#2 ·
thats part of being APBT owner. no matter where you go people feel that way. its a never ending battle. its just something you are going to have to listen to for being the owner. but as long as you love him and believe in him thats all that matters and who cares what other people think. stand behind your dog and he'll stand behind you im sure because youll never get it through their heads that they are good dogs. people look for the bad so they cant see the good :)

#3 ·
Hahaha! Welcome to the club, mate. I don't mean to make light of your situation but in all honesty it's just something you have to get used to. If you want to be liked in the neighbourhood you have to have a pomeranian or chihuahua. Then when they bite someone it will be cute.

#5 ·
my oner year old will run away from any dog bigger than her so last week we got her a chihuahua and it lasted 4 days here before we had to give it away cause it kept attacking my 4 year old... that was the first time weve had anything besides APBT and it will be the last time we ever get any other kinda dog

#6 ·
I personally dont care if someone has something bad to say about my dog Im so used to it by now if im in the mood i may educate them a bit if not i just smile and keep doin what im doin lol. if my daughters friends werent allowed here becasue of my dogs oh well I wouldnt care. I do crate my big dog when her friends are over though cause he can be rough and ogreish lol. I take my good girls luna and pep when i pick up my daughter from school and alot of people have changed views becasue of the girls it has givin them an opportunity to come up and meet this breed and see how well behaved and docile they really are, and watching them light up around the kids. if your dog is well behaved and well socialized use every oppotunity to show them in a good light walking the neighborhood helps it lets people around you get to know your dog as well. now if your dog is gonna get amped up and aggressive if he sees another dog then maybe the school isnt the best place to show him off but if he is like my girls take him everywhere some people will change oppinions some wont, dont sweat the ones that wont its there loss.

#8 ·
Ahhhhhh welcome to the club!!!!!!!!! This is just something that people do and sometimes your dog being the bigger man being well behaved will change their minds but sometimes it wont.... I said this in another thread that as passionate as we are about our dogs there are people just as passionate about hating them... Turn your head up be the bigger man and walk away from someone who wont listen.... You know what your dog is and what hes capable of love him for it and let the rest go...

BTW... Make sure you are an extra responsible owner and keep your dog out of trouble since you already how people think of him... Theyre just waiting for something to happen now....

#9 ·
Just got to push thru the ignorant bs lol. Try to show people in your neighborhood that hes a good dog no matter what breed and that they cant judge a book by its cover. The CGC is a great idea too. Best of luck

Went into petsmart today with alexa and a woman asked her breed, I said pit bull mix and she huffed and said thats what i thought..ran and told her hubby it was a pit...but then their boy came over and she loved on him (he was about 11 or so) and they changed their attitudes...it was great. they all pet her and said "we would take that dog if we could but shes already taken" because they were going to find a dog to adopt. I loved it.

#10 ·
You need tough skin to own this breed. None of my three-yr-old's preschool classmates are allowed to come over and play except for one and that is because they own a pit bull as well. Suits me just fine as I don't want to clean up after them anyway.

#11 ·
lol, If you were Old like me you'd love it, hahah, when i see some Door knockin THUMPERS or Salesman, I open the window and say " My Pitbulls are around back, you better not let them see you comin up the driveway, LMBO...

#13 ·
LMAO out back ? mine usually at the window watching them come up and then at the door when I open it half an inch to yell out to get off my patio im not interested LMAO most dont return ....

#15 ·
ok I have a confession to make (sorry off subject)...

The last time two pavement kickers (mormons, no offense) came to my door I told we worship the devil and if they didnt get off my property I would let the pitbulls loose... I have never seen people move so fast in my life lol... It was mean but I didnt want to deal with it that day... The funniest part is that just beyond my door and visible fromt he door is a huge cross on the wall with footprints in the san d on it....

#16 ·
I'd like to think Im a Decent guy, but theres 2 Things that make me wanna snap, 1 People that Steal, and 2 People that think it's OK to Violate my Personal Space... Door Knocker's are about the same as a tele marketers in my book, And I could choke them right threw the phone....
(Were gonna get Warned about bein Off topic...lol)

#18 ·
I haven't had any prejudice against my Athena, yet, but I have had the prejudice just because I have dogs. Right now I have 5. All of them are house dogs. With that comes dog hair. I've had people complain about it when they come over. My response, you don't like it, don't come over. I go through great measures to make sure my house isn't a big hair ball, but it's never gonna be perfect. Doesn't bother me. I'm more content with my dogs than I am having people come over anyways.

#23 ·
I haven't had any prejudice against my Athena, yet, but I have had the prejudice just because I have dogs. Right now I have 5. All of them are house dogs. With that comes dog hair. I've had people complain about it when they come over. My response, you don't like it, don't come over. I go through great measures to make sure my house isn't a big hair ball,WOW, QUOTE

Funny you say that. My Parents have a German Shepard and a cat. My fathers 75 and a Health Bodybuilder, Looks 60 yrs old,My mothers Lazy. Besides the fact the Dog was Never trained and has Dragged him down a Trail, and Jumps and scratches my KIDS, I WONT go over there Because of the Hair... Now dont get me wrong, Ive always had 2 dogs in my house, Now 3, But the short hair breed doesnt bother me, IDK why, But maybe because it's not like TUMBLE weed like the others, hahahah.. Its accually got us into arguments, and I havent been to my parents home in 2 yrs. They do come here on hollidays so its not like we arent talking over it. YOUR HOME in no way can resemble my parents though, Besides the Dogs hair, the uncontroling behavoir, and they havent throw out any Mail or Paper's they have in yrs..Its Hair mixed with Papers all over and I GAG !!! My dad cant control the dog, so it takes off and jumps in the Stream, them runs into the house shaking all over, It smells like a wet LONG haired Swamp dog in there !!! OMG, Idk, maybe its my Personal problem, But my blood Boils when I talk about it, so Ive just let them be. I use to spend alot of time Helping them and Redueing things, i paved there Drivway for free, Painted the House, Finished there Basment etc.... It is to bad though because there Grandkids havent been there in yrs after all the work they wanted me to do so that they had a Basment Playroom for the grandkids , all they do now is pick them up for Dinner and drop them back off, My kids dont even want to be there after the scratches on there Face and the Smell and stains they get from the Rugs from wet dog Feet. Well in the end i say its not my Business so that it can not cause trouble between us, But why have a Beatiful Home and 4 acres that looks like a million Bucks on the ouside, and somthin you would have 2 Burn down on the Inside !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just my story, There Hair Is extreme, has nothin to do with the Post's Here, Just added to the Thread ;)

#25 · (Edited)
I am so sick of dealing with this issue. in the warm weather its almost daily for me. I have a friend who refuses to let my dog come over, but a labrabull is allowed cause its half lab. derrrrr I have actually lost a few friends because I take him everywhere with me and if we are not welcome I would rather not go over their house. If your so judgmental without ever meeting a dog, what else would you judge is how I feel. Not good people to me. Instead of getting mad or sad and turning blue trying to convince people how stupid they are to have these thoughts and feelings I look at it that everyone is afraid of my dog so when we meet new people and they love him, it makes me proud and happy. If I chat with people who seem anti pit I don't say more than 4 or 5 sentences and depending on their reaction I gage if its even worth my breath to talk to them about it.

One issue is my pup has a big scar on his back, so people ALWAYS assume he is fought. that sucks. (his litter tore him up at 5 weeks so thats not a very nice story to tell to haters either) Why must the first thing people ask when they see Gargamel is "what happened to his back". I mean if anyone had something wrong with them, would it really be the FIRST thing you ask about? its weird to me, lol.

Love this cartoon I came across :) Thats totally me lol

Attachments

#26 ·
I'm sorry this occurred but it is a part of owning a loving kissy face dog. My biggest issue in my area is a man hassling me about wanting to buy Beastley...and take him off my hands. If he only knew I will whoop his a$$ if he tried to touch any of my dogs.

#27 ·
you will learn very quickly that to be a pit bull owner you have to be thick skinned. don't worry about what others have to say or think, they are the ones missing out.
it is sad when a kid can't visit your house because of the dog you own. now that poor kid has a fear in thier head because of thier dumb parents.
i have a rule that i meet all of my kids friends' parents before any sleepover, which means the parents have to walk into my home with my two big boys. i am lucky and we have never had an issue, likely because my boys are pretty well behaved, i do always warn of the cement whips, aka thier tails, though.

work on getting that CGC and then talk to your neighbors with thier little terror dogs and see if they even know what a CGC certificate means.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.