Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so i got my girl about 2 weeks ago... maybe 2.5 lol shes now going on 9 wks... anyways since ive had her, shes inside most of the day... well ever since i have brought her inside(opposed to her litter,who is outside) i have been training her from day one! and shes one smart PUP!

that being said i have a few questions... about training of course and i would appreciated if someone would respond.

i started with paper training her... she is getting great and is having ALMOST 0 mishaps...by paper training i mean she is doing her "stuff" on paper.

then i started with teaching her "COME" and the first few day she was getting it then POOF! Now she has SELECTIVE listening ... so ive been consistant and patient and know shes "just learning...!" correcting and walking up to her to make her follow(am i doing this correct?)

next i started with teaching SIT and shes pretty much got it down (W/or W.o treat)

then while we play i also am teaching her "DROP IT" so whatevers in her mouth she lest go of.. shes still learning it.. but knows the concept

well today i took her out on the lead (Which is new to her) so she was kinda getting into it and i see that with some practice she will get it, she was kinda trying to stay behind but she would follow when i would praise her..

my MAIN questions is.... whats the next command i should train her?? or what do i do next? she is going to start to learn that if she WANTS to go outside, shes gonna have to WAIT and be on a lead! or wait for ME to take her outside
i know im teaching her alot and i dont want to over load her brain, but i want her to listen and be a smart dog when shes older.

any help would be appreciated!!!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Sounds good , she will do 2 steps forward and 1 step back I find with pups , then they enter that rebelious phase { kinda like the teen years or terrible 2's lol} and you will find things she knows she will try and get away with not listening kinda like you said selective hearing lol. Just be consistent. A good thing to teach is the 'look' or 'watch' command teach them to look at you while walking on or off leash { helps when they are older and you need to get there attention , { I use it when we pass spastic dogs in the trails or when off leash dogs run up on us ect} use the treat and I hold it at my eye level and say the command "look' or watch whatever you want for that command and dont let her break contact until you give the release word , if she breaks it give the command again and keep her attention { try doing short ones 1st just a few seconds and work up} eventually you can do it without the treat and without the hand by the eyes lol, just takes some time and consistency. I also like the leave it command have something yummy infront of her and teach her she cant take things { I hate when dogs help themselfs to stuff they arent suppose to have , like my dinner when i run to the washroom lol} Leave it is a great tool in my house. Sounds like your ona good role with your pup though just be patient and consistent :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you for replying!!:)

even though she is "MY" first dog that i can actually say is MINE, i have been taking to this "TRAINING" thing quite well if id say so myself... my next Objective is to crate train her, that way she knows IM alpha and Im who she is suppose to listen to.

i have started teaching her "LOOK AT ME" because i have been reading alot of older and newer posts on obedience but no luck on that one... lol

shes also learning "Get IT" kinda lol again with that "SELECTIVE HEARING"

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
the crate training isnt so much as IM ALPHA lol , its more a secure place for them I leave mine open during the day and most of my dogs will be found in a crate at some point during the day just on there own cause they like it. NEVER make the crate a punishment thing , if she has done something bad dont use the crate to send her too { atleast not for the 1st while when she is learning , I send my 3year old there when he is bad lol , most times he goes before I even tell him lol} but try feeding her in the crate and keep a fav toy or balnket in there make it comfy for her. Its a great thing to have and its the 1st thing I train my dogs to be used to , saves your property when you cant be there to watch or when you have company and want to put her up for a bit ect. BEST tool you will ever have for your dog.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i meant more as her seening me as alpha by taking "Privileges" away from her IE running out the room when the door gets open, trying to eat her sisters "JUNK" food, basically doing things without my permission, lol you probably know exactly what i mean. asfor the crate training, yeah i have started reading about it, because i dont have one YET, but this weekend, my lil mjs getting one:) so i started reading the threads on here about it. so i kinda get the picture

but like i said i didnt know if i would "OVERLOAD" her with commands since this is my first TRAINIEE :p and i just wanted to know if i was on the right track.

·
Registered
471 Posts
with every dog I have had , bulldog or not they have learned the sit command when I am holding the food bowl , then they know to sit when you are getting there food instead of jumping on you and knocking you over .. just a pet peeve of mine lol

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
You should also wait until your pup is reacting correctly 90% of the time with one trick before adding in another one. If the pup isnt ready it could get over whelming.

One great one you should try is getting her to go to a spot in your house when you command it. I have my boy got to his dog bed. That way when someone arrives unexpectedly (like pizza man or a neighbor) you can tell her what to do instead of her not knowing and getting anxious and reacting like she should be protecting you. Just teach her to go to a corner and wait if you don't have a bed until you tell her to come out and it will do wonders when the time comes for you to have visitors. you might need to teach her how to wait first though, if you have not worked on that yet.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
ok so i got my girl about 2 weeks ago... maybe 2.5 lol shes now going on 9 wks... anyways since ive had her, shes inside most of the day... well ever since i have brought her inside(opposed to her litter,who is outside) i have been training her from day one! and shes one smart PUP!

that being said i have a few questions... about training of course and i would appreciated if someone would respond.

i started with paper training her... she is getting great and is having ALMOST 0 mishaps...by paper training i mean she is doing her "stuff" on paper.

then i started with teaching her "COME" and the first few day she was getting it then POOF! Now she has SELECTIVE listening ... so ive been consistant and patient and know shes "just learning...!" correcting and walking up to her to make her follow(am i doing this correct?)

next i started with teaching SIT and shes pretty much got it down (W/or W.o treat)

then while we play i also am teaching her "DROP IT" so whatevers in her mouth she lest go of.. shes still learning it.. but knows the concept

well today i took her out on the lead (Which is new to her) so she was kinda getting into it and i see that with some practice she will get it, she was kinda trying to stay behind but she would follow when i would praise her..

my MAIN questions is.... whats the next command i should train her?? or what do i do next? she is going to start to learn that if she WANTS to go outside, shes gonna have to WAIT and be on a lead! or wait for ME to take her outside
i know im teaching her alot and i dont want to over load her brain, but i want her to listen and be a smart dog when shes older.

any help would be appreciated!!!
You can introduce the come command but do not expect much till she is much older. She is way too young to have a reliable come command but you can lay down the ground work now.

The next thing you should tech her is how to be a puppy! You can do a few things then give her a break from learning anything new. Keep working with what you have taught her but keep you training session under 5 mins once or twice a day. Too much is not good for a young pup or they will begin to stress and shut down. I see it all the time with owners who get over ambitious with new pups. The pups learn fast so they think more it better and I warn them not to but some do not listen. What happens is they have a perfect pup for a few months then it is too much stress and falls apart. When this happens it takes a lot more work to fix it then if you just took your time. I am not saying you are working her too much but keep this in the back of your mind.

A few things to remember when you are training dogs. Never correct a puppy or dog if they do not understand what you are asking of them. For example if you just taught your pup to sit and a few weeks from now you say sit and she does not and you correct her, that is not fair. She is too young to fully understand what it means there for you cannot correct. After a few months if she blows you off then you can correct her.
Never call a pup when they are in trouble! You cannot call a dog to you then correct them, they will learn coming to you is bad. If they are in trouble you go to them even if you have the chase them down.
Never give more than one command or you will teach them bad habits.
Never give them an opportunity to be wrong when you are teaching them something new like sit. What I mean is do not give a command if you are not in the position to show them what you want.
The dog has to work for something and praise is not enough, use food or toys to motivate your pup then wean them off the food later on. You do not want them not to do something if you do not have food but you also need to help them be motivated to work for you.

You can teach a dog to do something by two ways, motivation where they do it on their own, or force where you force them to do what you want. I like motivation then later on wean them off the food.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeahh thats EXACTLY what i dont want... but i mean it takes time and practice as well as patience... thats why i was wondering if i was adding to much at once, but like i said yesterday, shes got SIT on check! with no TREATS!!:D and the food bowl sit aswell.

today i started teaching her STAY... and it went swell!! :) she stayed for like 15 seconds before i told her "ok cmon!" and she looked at me and ran.:clap: treated and praised! been trying it through out the day and shes starting to pick it up

ahh how i love my dog!:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts