Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up my 8 week old american bully on Saturday. My husbands side of the family is giving me such grief. Saying it wont get along with my cats or small chihuahua. Any advice on this? They told me the dog will eventually hurt my other animals and when I have kids hurt them too and also might hurt me. I am feeling a little scared now. But I know any breed of dog has its negatives. ANy positive feedback to me on my new little member to my family. Oh my husband is in Baghdad so I am having to train on my own. I am excited about the new puppy and just wish they would leave me alone.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Check out some threads on here Ill post some links in a bit. If buying from a reputable breeder who puts temperment and health 1st you should end up with a very loyal family loving dog who is great with kids and people. Now the breed can be DA { dog aggressive or animal aggressive} its part of there genetics and part of what they were { the APBT} bred for originally. Bullys arent always DA but very much can be and this typically will kick in around 1- 2 years. Socialize your dog with many people and places and work on setting boundarys as early as you can , just alot of hands on work. Im sure if you spend some time reading on here you will learn alot even before you pick up your new pup. If this breed was so aggressive and mean most of us wouldnt own them , alot of us have kids who have grown up with out dogs and never had an accident. { Now if your buying form a breeder who doesnt know what they are doing and doesnt put temperment and health 1st youmay end up with an unstable dog as in any breed}.
check out these links.
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/36349-pitbulls-dog-parks.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-training/5288-new-puppy-owners.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/obedience-...ing-american-pit-bull-terrier-your-puppy.html
http://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/11710-newbs-everyone-else.html

Also I recommend getting a crate and looking into crate trainning right off the bat. When you arent home or to busy to supervise him with your other dog crate him. Just best to prevent any lil fight when you cant be there to seperate if needed. If you use the search at the top of the page you can type in crate training or any other question you need answers for , should come up with anything you need.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome! You really need a thick skin to own breeds that are considered a pit bull. You might lose friends. You might lose family members from coming over. You also might change everyone's mind with the great dog you will get. That's what happened to most of my friends and family and the ones who didn't even want to meet my boy it's their loss not mine.

Animal or dog aggression is very typical but it is in a lot of breeds not just pit bull type dogs. Just be prepared socialoze as mch as possible with all types of situations, stay away from dog parks. Human aggression is NOT typical at all. BUT your chi has a worse temperament statistically than a bully does. THats who I would watch out for lol.

Don't stress about the haters stick around and learn we all have families and kids around our pups and we are responsible no matter what breed it is. Don't leave your animals alone without someone supervising them. You never know what might happen so don't chance it and if you start by using a crate now there will never be a transition issue if either of your dogs decide they don't really like the other one some day down the line.

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
i argued with my professor during class because he said pitbulls were killer machines lol.

Much respect for being a military wife. If you raise the pup right, and do the things you have planned for it, he/she should be good. Best part of owning a bully is that youll be proving your family members wrong.

Forgot to mention Bullies are supposed to be a bit calmer and not as DA.

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
You might lose family members from coming over.
Ames, you say that like it is a bad thing :p

Coopercat, getting the pup at 8 weeks he will have plenty of time to learn the ropes and respect your other pets prior to his being much much bigger than them. There is always the chance will the bulldog breeds that they will be dog aggressive but they seem to be more tolerant to smaller breeds like chis when they're raised around them.

My bulldog (petbull, whatever you want to call it) lives with a sheltie mix and 3 cats relatively harmoniously. The cats might swat at him from time to time but he knows not to mess with them. He's 5 and was "raised by cats" as my husband likes to tell people.

You have a better chance getting the puppy this young but again, there is no guarantee. As Angel mentioned, best to crate train from the beginning and never leave the dogs alone and unattended.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
My mother in law said the same things to me...
and time after time she has had to eat her words. I raised Keira with 3 cats and a 6-7 German Shepherd (RIP baby boy :( )
We just got a tiny Miniature Poodle puppy and guess what? Keira thinks he's her baby. She is also a "Mommy" to a hamster.
Did I mention the kids? My son is 4 and my daughter is 7. Never had a moment's worry. :) Just make sure when you have children you teach them to respect the dog, and other pets should always be watched when with the puppy so that you are always alert to any change in temper. Good luck! :)

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I don't really have much to add other than my girl has small prey drive especially with squirrels lol! She's caught quite a few already. However, her and my cats get along great and my cat loves to rub up on Bella while she is laying down lol! It's pretty cute. Bella is crated while I'm at work or out doing an errand though. Just never leave them unattended and never let your guard down if you see they get along really well as the future progresses because that is when you may come home and find a dead pet.

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Truth - you will never know until time tells.

be careful always! Proper introduction and proper seperation will help tremendously. like.. dont leave them to roam the house together for awhile until you catch a grasp of their relationship.

·
Rather be hunting/fishing
401 Posts
For the haters in your family, just print a few of the pictures with our kids and our dogs sleeping together, i freely give you permission to print the one of Zoe and Zeus

http://www.gopitbull.com/pictures/42847-zeus-am-staff.html

Outside of that, most advise from the members here will keep you on the straight and narrow if you will.

Give me some time to find the actual post for whats listed next, and dont quote me till then on this.

Also I read a statistic from one of ASPCA's till i find the link again, it was someone like since 1985, 300 kids have been killed by dogs (all dog breeds), which is like 11 a year. but in that time something 20,000 kids have been killed by there parnets like 3 a month.. i need to find that link.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Everyone has given great advice on this thread. The most important thing to adhere to is not leaving your pets alone together. I can't stress enough to crate train your pup from the time you bring him home, and make it a comfort zone for him, not a punishment. Feed him in there, give him toys in there, and quiet time when he's over-exacerbated by the excitement going on around him. It will make it easier in the long run. You may want to crate train your Chi, as well, to make it easier on both dogs and yourself.

The most important thing to remember in owning these types of dogs, is you can't ever trust them not to fight. While they may not be the aggressor, they most always finish what another dog started. I would learn to read a dog's body language, and understand the early warning signs of aggravation, and discomfort, as well as happiness, submission, dominance, etc. This will better help you understand your dogs, and the situations you place them in.

·
Registered
546 Posts
How much research did you do before you purchased your puppy? Your family's comments should not be surprise altho they are incorrect.

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
i'm sorry your family said such things to you.. luckily my family welcomed my dogs w/ open arms.. cant say the same about some friends..

·
Registered
962 Posts
Just raise your pup to be the best dog ever and prove what a good dog the breed can be and maybe, just maybe, you will be able to change a couple peoples minds. if not ignore them and enjoy your awesome dog ;)

·
Registered
546 Posts
Meant to add - keep your skin thick and do your OWN research. My mom doesn't like 'pit bulls' but she adores my Ruby girl and thinks she's 'not like them' ... LOL Train your pup and develop a great relationship with him and you should find a great companion. As others have mentioned, be prepared for the possibility of your dogs not getting along at some point so you are not surprised IF it happens. Just enjoy your pup and don't listen to people who don't have one or don't know about them...

·
Registered
614 Posts
Well I cant help much but my 9 year old chi and pitbull lived togher for almost 2 years. Fine,no problems at all. A lab mix ended up killing my chi,but him and my pitbull always got along and even slept beside each other,no problems

:cry:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts