Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started a thread yesterday about AC showing up on my doorstep due to a empty complaint by a neighbor...

Well the ACO apparently talked the school district office in our town and suggested that I go to every school with my dogs to talk to kids about animal abuse, a commitment to animals, the right ways to handle a strange dog and "pit bulls" (a general overview).

The school district office called me today and they said the ACO said I was the most responsible owner he had ever met (which I know I am not perfect but?) and that they would love for me to do a monthly talk to the kids at each school about animals and how to handle them... So do a different subject each month...

They absolutely want me to bring one or both of my dogs to use as an example for how to approach strange dogs and how to train positively and other things...

So starting in January I will be at two schools each week doing a 30-45 minute lesson....

What do you guys think and (since you guys inspire me so much) what would you guys like me to add into these meetings that maybe I would forget...

·
my crazy little mutt pack
3,272 Posts
omg HOW AWESOME!!! that is great you are getting rep coming your way, i don't have an idea right now but just had to say I'm impressed

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am extremely excited especially to talk to the high school kids...

I will not be taking Nikita to these events until I work with her more since she is still a bit young and hyper...

Sarge is a absolute lover boy though so he will be at every one...

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
O M G Brook, this is freakin fantabulous news, omg I am soooo happy for you, I agree with Ariel, just make sure to cover the basics about how to approach a dog and reading a dog's body language and things, talk about BSL, very briefly, even with the younger kids, put it in their terms, lol. they will understand, but make sure and get volunteers from the classroom to show what you are doing, if htey see a peer up there it makes it easier for them to comprehend.

I would love to know how this goes, go get 'em girl :D Mad props and rep coming your way when I get home

·
Banned
835 Posts
great news, that is truly a great opportunity and an honor to meet and greet
the kids. is it possible to make a documentary about it? just video all the
assignments and you can edit it later, but its a great opportunity to be able
to make a you tube vid so it gets across to millions instead of a few hundred.
this could be a real huge step in the right direction. I'm elated it found you,...
instead of having to fight for it. milk that cow!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Padlock: Yeah I talked about video taping it the only problem is privacy laws since they are minors... Some parents do not authorize the school to put them on video and with several hundreds students I wouldnt be able to pick volunteers because I wouldnt know which ones cant be video taped... Great idea though I am still going to try and figure something out...

K8nkane: I thought about this and I will be doing some of this since he does some out of the ordinary stuff like speaking on command, shaking on command and walking a few steps on command... Oh he also sit/stay then I walk away (about 15-20 feet) and tell him "jump" and he will run full force and jump for the treat I hold above my head... I probably wouldnt do that with the smaller kids but the older kids would get a kick out of it... Also if you 'shot" him he will "die" on his back legs straight up... He will also "find the" whatever you show him before you hide it...

I would like to teach him a few more before we do this just for fun entertainment like jump through a hoop and such....

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
I always keep in contact with my DC officer, i call him straight away if i receive a note on the door or in the mail. i think that way there is a trust thing built. our neighbours have been doing the same thing, conplaining, making up stories.

GRRR

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know its a pain to have neighbors that cant just live in peace... But in this case it turned out really well and presented an opportunity to me that I cant refuse... I think having this neighbor is a blessing in disguise...

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
One of the things that would be great for you to address is for the kids not to assume that any dog is going to be "mean" or "nice" just because they know what breed it is. You know, "not all Labs or Yorkies are 'nice,' just like not all Pits or shepherds are 'mean.'"

I would also probably talk about some of the things that can get a dog excited (ie, triggers) like food, toys, loud noises, other pets, etc. So that they know what kinds of things are going to elicit a reaction, and what they shouldn't bring/do around a strange dog.

And make sure they know NOT to jump into a dog fight. Its not worth them getting bitten.

Can you make -- or get someone to make for you -- a booklet or worksheet that kids can study at home? Then they can talk with their parents and maybe teach them a thing or two. :)

·
Premium Member
3,058 Posts
Too awesome good luck.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was thinking a flyer that I have already started... I want the main point to be that children should avoid strange dogs of any breed and how to handle one if it comes to them... Then animal abuse and that when they get an animal the commitment is for life... Great ideas keep em coming!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I think after I do the schools in our district having the district write me a letter of recommendation and solicit other districts to let me go into their schools too...

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Wow, what an opportunity you have there! I would first, and foremost, make sure that your pups are on board with this idea as well. Can they handle the attention and excitement of a million kids petting, shouting, etc. at them? Preparation is all I'm saying here, you don't want something to go horribly wrong and prove the naysayers right. This is in no way a knock on you or your pups, I just want you to know what situations you'll be involved with:) Second, know your audience. There are alot of misguided people out there that have passed their "knowledge", or lack thereof, onto their offspring. Hell, alot of these same kids may be abused themselves and have become very numb to the plight of animal abuse:( Statistics are great concerning our breed, but in reality, these kids probably could care less, they're more interested in what's in front of them. So keep it simple and direct. Be ready for lots of questions, off the wall questions LOL! I applaud you in your efforts to clean up your area by identifying the horrors of abuse, neglect, loneliness, etc. with pit bulls, and all breeds for that matter!!! It is only a small step in educating, but it is one step closer to the top of the stairs;) Good luck Brooke, and keep all of us abreast of the situation please!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I had thought about the environment I will be exposing them to that's why Nikita is not going she gets to overly excited... Sarge on the other hand has had experience with big crowds... I did a speech in Vegas at a animal day thing where there were hundreds of dogs and people and he did great plus he always around strange kids since I take him to the park with my kids and all their friends meet him at our home as well...

I will still of course be on the aware side but I have no doubt he will do fine... Hopefully when Nikita is a bit older she can do stuff with me too but I am still working on her

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
A worksheet would be better. Something they can interact with, if that makes sense. Like draw a line between the dog (showing diff drawings of body language) and what it's trying to tell you (happy, upset, etc). A bit of a project, I know, but I'd bet money you can find workable things on the 'net that you could adapt to your purposes.

Like so:

Michigan Humane Society: Humane Education - Safety Quiz
AVMA Products - Bilingual Dog Bite Prevention activity/coloring book
http://bowwowow.com.previewyoursite.com/FunPages07.pdf
Doggone Safe Activites for Kids
accessKent | Dog Bite Quiz

Good luck! I think its a great thing that you're doing.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Awesome stuff... Thank a bunch!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts