Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have been kicking this idea around for a few years now and have finally decided to push through with it... Instead of saying I am going to work out more this year or quit smoking this year (will probably never happen) or whatever else... I am going to open a rescue this year for mainly bully breeds but in certain cases I will help any dog...

There is a bully rescue in the area already but they do not cover surrounding states and transport which I will do...

So here's my idea (sorry if I ramble or get confusing ideas spewing in my head): I have located about 10 acres outside of town in a remote area (close to the 10 acres we are building our house on) that already has a small house on it which will be used for office space. I have contacted several "vendors" in hopes of getting outdoor and indoor kennels, food, and other supplies donated. I am going to contact (in the next few days) some of the breeders, clubs and animal event planners in the area (300 mile radius) to put stands in their events to promote awareness of the breeds. I also want to have trainers on property and offer training services in several areas eventually but I want to start with basic training for potential adopters. I will have a contract written up with each adopters including things like all dogs are microchipped and all dogs will come back to me if found, adopter will not get dog back if I acquire it from pound due to their negligence, home inspections before placing dog, all dogs spayed and neutered before adopting them out, and a plethra of other things. I will have the property set up as a complete kennel set up with other areas separated into exercise runs.

I am thinking a contract with the school districts here to do a once a year or twice a year speak to students about animal abuse and responsibilities. Also I want to push for laws here that punish irresponsible owners to the hilt and punish byb's for adding to the problems. I have already teamed up with a couple other rescues here as I have put in a lot of time with them already.

The other rescue is not big on young dogs (for whatever reason) so I want to gear mine towards saving the young dogs...

I dont know I have a notepad full of ideas and have been writing my buiness proposal for about 10 months now and wasnt sure I would go through with it as it is a heartbreaking and stressful business but I am going to put everything in motion this year. Oh and I have also been talking with state reps to team up with the state on animal abuse and neglect and punishing the right people instead of the wrong dogs.

Anywho, if anyone has any ideas, suggestions, comments or questions by all means GIVE ME YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!! hahahaha

Ok Im done...

Reactions: Eric

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh and I forgot to add that of course part of the responsibility of the rescue will be to fight BSL ...

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
no ideas, sounds awesome, I wish you tons of luck, what a wonderful thing to do in the new year :D

·
Super Moderator
4,564 Posts
Build a website for donations. That's the only idea I have to add. You are awesome for taking the initiative.

Reactions: Eric

·
15 wins 3 losses
461 Posts
Build a website for donations. That's the only idea I have to add. You are awesome for taking the initiative.
Good idea!! I know there's people out there who would donate or give away their money just to do it.

Also, maybe look up a way to become a non profit organization, so that way the donations are tax deductible. People would be happy being able to write it off for taxes.

I will say, that you are amazing for doing this. If I lived close to you, you would have your first volunteer :)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys... A website is a good idea... I'm gonna look into... And you are free to look me up if you are ever out my way... Lol

I appreciate the comments guys but I really just do what I do because I love my dogs...

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Maybe the other rescue figures younger dogs will have a greater chance of being adopted??

I don't really have any suggestions since it seems like you've got everything already thought out and planned. Kudos!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm not sure what their deal is but I am looking into it just cause I like to one up competition lol jk but really I just like to know what things and everything I'm up against

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Are you going to be the only one rescuing/fostering dogs? Or would you let volunteers foster too?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well in the beginning I will be the only one in possession of them but eventually I would like to maybe have fosters... I like fosters simply because I can get a more personal and realistic view on a dogs behavior... I don't however like trusting people I don't know... In the beginning I will be able to house 100-150 dogs myself

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
100-150?! Wow, that's a lot of dogs. How are you going to house them? What are your plans for getting them out of their kennels (or whatever they're in) so they can get exercise?? How are you going to socialize them properly with people, etc? Food and vet bills?? Are you going to register as a 501(c)(3) tax exempt charitable organization??

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I have several people lines up to help with rotating dogs for exercise and human interaction... That what the separate areas will be for... The way I have the plans done it will give me room for about 25 exercise runs... I'm thinking I will set up a weightpull and agility tracks for those dogs will added energy... I have plans for 175 separate 5x5 kennels... And as of right now I'm looking at being non profit but weighing my options as far as financing goes either way... Start up is a minimum of 350,000 of which I have most of that already... I have 20 volunteers so far plus I plan to employ 10-15 people as well.... I got conformation from two trainers this week that are willing to donate their services for reviewing each dog individually in situations so that they can be placed properly... Plus I will be hands on with each and every dog exposing them to every element from small kids to big kids to small dogs to large dogs to cats to rabbits to horses to cows to fireworks and gunshots and everything in between... I want to test them in every possible thing I can so that perfect homes are found... The other trainers will also do basic obidience with dogs who obviously have no structure... I plan on two to three employed individuals being on call including myself 24/7 for support for adopters who run into anything...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have two grocery chains willing to donate and help with food and obviously have taken into account the cost of food... Also I have two nearby vets who I will contracting for all the vet work including spay and neuter on every dog that have agreed to do all of the work for certain flat rates that way I do not have an extreme amount of overhead that I have to pass on...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I imagine that with the extreme amount of time dedicated to each individual dog I will have dogs on my property for approximately 2-4 weeks or longer each dog... I will say that any dogs who show any human aggression will be evaluated by a dog behaviorist and myself and ultimately if there is no legimate reason found for the ha like pain or sickness the dog with be put down at that point... I will not put an ha dog in anyones hands to risk media problems...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Kate!!! I have been throwing ideas around for something like this for about four years now just taking random notes in a journal dedicated specifically to this and different situations and stuff.... Yeah lol its been a long time coming...

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think it's great you want to start a rescue :) It's not easy and here are some the downfalls and some advice: I would start out small. Rescuing bully breeds is overwhelming. You will be flooded with emails and phone calls. Only 1 in 800 pit bulls find a home so most of the people that contact you will be completely desperate. Because bully breeds are commonly dog aggressive it makes housing a bunch of them very difficult. My husband and I have added more rescues very slowly, our personal limit is much lower than our legal limit. On average it takes 6+ months to find a home for an adult pit bull. We've had several of our rescues for over a year without a single application, some of them came in as puppies. It's a 24/7 job with no pay. We always have lots of people saying they're going to volunteer and then they never show up, we have learned to only count on ourselves. The expenses also get overwhelming, this week alone we've already spent several hundred in vet bills. Most of our rescues come to us needing immediate medical attention. Pit bulls are the hardest to rescue because they are the most abused type of dog and the most common type of dog at animal controls. The best advice I can give you is to start small and gradually grow or you will get in over your head very quickly. I worked/volunteered for other rescues for almost 10 years before I decided I was ready to start my own. If you have any questions please let me know.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another thing I think may work is a rehab program within this... In other training the right dogs for rehab dogs and maybe utilizing that to do more education about the breed...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts