Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
when boo first arrived she was all of 5 weeks old and is very scared of just about anything. But now she is 6 weeks and 3 days and now just started following me around the house and shes not scared of other rooms anymore. Will her fears of certain things go away on thier own or is there somthing i should be doing?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Little boo your pup was taken away from it's litter mates and mother entirely WAY to early a pup should not leave it's mother and litter mates until at least 8 weeks old good breeder's like to keep them with their mom and litter mates even longer that 8 weeks I am sorry the breeder did not tell you this. But 8 weeks is the rule of the thumb before allowing the pup to go to it's new home. Some of the important things a pup learns from it's mother and litter mates during these early weeks of life is proper socialization, confidence, bonding, bite inhibition, at 5-6 weeks old a pup is just getting weaned from it's mother's milk and onto solid food. So because your pup was take too soon this is why he/she has been scared that's normal in this case.

Here is an article on puppy stage developments and some things that may help with your new pup!

Puppy Development

Teaching Bite Inhibition | Dog Star
Daily

http://www.dogsense.co.za/2009/07/puppy-development-stages-and-pitfalls-of-adopting-out-too-soon/

Also get with performance kennels on here she is a great trainer and she can give you a lot of good info about your situation and where you can find a reputable local trainer in your area to start your pup off right with basic obedience training. Good luck I am sure you will get lot's of good responses on what you can do in your situation.

http://www.gopitbull.com/member.php?u=8363 If you leave her message on her page she is really helpful and good at responding back to member's here.

Good Luck to you and your new pup and don't forget to post pictures :)

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Yes her fears will eventually go away, it's just all new and different for her. My pup cujo is 9mo. old and he is ok with everything except the Ironing board hahaha he takes off when he sees it in my hands. I just call him and make him sit next to me then grab it just to see him bolt. smh lol

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Don't coddle Boo reasuring her when she is scared in her mind makes it okay to be scared. Talk to her in a normal voice and if she is scared of certain items hold them in your hands while you pet her. Sorta like introducing a horse to a bridle or the saddle pad. You rub the animal down with the item before you actually put it on. The same with your dog. I also make it a point of find different items and introducing them to my dogs like loud noisy toys. popping balloons firecrackers all those things you don't need your dog to bolt someday because it freaks out over a noise.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts