Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have known of this site for about a year now, and find it to be very helpful! Alot of edcuated people and great advice!

I have a 3 year old, 70 pound, spayed, bully type named Shay. I was given her as a puppy at around 10 weeks old. She is has been wonderful with my kids, all my family, friends ect. and gets along with other dogs; as long as they are oposite sex. Very smart and extreamly loving! She is very brave and outgoing!

In our neighborhood we live in now, we have been here for about 4 months now; there is loose dogs running around and almost every one around here has a dog or 5! We found out right away that Shay has some form of leash agression or thats what people have been informing me. She knows how to walk on a leash but likes to pull a little of the time. Now I did walk her regularly at my old house where she grew up, about 3-4 times a week down the street, about a mile, twice a day. Since it was a very respectful neighborhood, there wasnt hardly any barking dogs or ANY loose ones running around; like there is here! So she hasnt really been exposed to that.

I didnt do much training with her besides basics and so this is totally my fault. Walking her on a leash has went from a stress releiver to "I am not strong enough to deal with it". She goes bananas when she hears another dog bark. She will stiffen up, growl, bark, hair rises up on the back of her neck, tail goes in the air and thats just when she HEARS one! When she actually sees a dog barking or one loose, she will lunge towards the dog, try to pull out of her collar, twist around, bark and growl like she is the meanest dog in the world. First couple times she did it, she thankfully only herd dogs bark and I got her under control, but the last time I walked her about a week ago, there was one loose and it came charging towards us (little poodle mix something; small dog) and if my hubby wasnt there to help out, she would of gotten out of my grip and it would of been a big desaster. She is NOTHING like this at home. She will bark at other dogs if she sees one but when she is on the leash its like her personality goes from Dr. Jackel to Mr. Hide in a fraction of a second. She has had her socialization throughout her life, have met about 50+ dogs between our family, my hubbys friends and mine and people we used to go on doggy play days with at least once a week thoughout her life; but she has never liked female dogs, but we have never let her get in a fight, EVER! And no dog has jumped her either. Always had good, calm greetings with other dogs. But when she is on the leash it seems she thinks every dog is female and she just wants to eat them!

She knows some basic commands such as sit, wait, leave it, down ect and I give her a treat when she minds, which she does 99% of the time. Very well mannered dog, dont jump on people, doesnt play rough, and is very respectful. But when we are out on the road, she wont even pay any attention to me anymore! As soon as we get walking down the road she will litterly listen and look for another dog to bark or come into sight now. She usually sees the other dogs or hears them before I do! She didnt do this in our old neighborhood; besides pulling, that was her only problem and after a few corrections she stopped it and would heel beside me the rest of the walk. But once she hears one or spots them out, a treat is not yummy anymore, she would rather have the other dog instead; and I cant seem to snap her out of it either.

I need some advice! I am so affraid to walk her again because it seems like this is getting worse and worse every time we go out on a walk.

Please if you have any advice you can give me, it would very much be appreciated!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Have you tried using a prong collar on walks and teaching the leave it command. I live in an area much like yours and know which streets have which dogs to best prepare a safe walk. I use streets that have well contained dogs to walk down and teach my dogs leave it while walking.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I would get her a prong collar and start working with her on distractions. When you walk her I would also work on heal as well. When your out walking and she hears or sees another dog quickly turn around so she has to do the same and tell her "leave it!" If it is something you feel is not going to work you could also try a trainer that deals with this type of issue.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No I have never used a prong collar on Shay, because up till 4 months ago she was great on walks! Only thing I used besides a regular collar was a halti, so she would stop pulling me down the road. She don't do that much anymore and so I transfered her back into her normal collar. She knows the command heel and leave it really well at home, the lake, petsmart, and when we lived back at our old house I used to take her to the parades and cornivels when they went though town... cant get much more destracting than that lol.

But I never really did a bunch of work on the commands with strange dogs around, and dont even know how to go about finding someone who would take the time to practice with me out on the road with their dog. There is no way I will take her on another regular walk till she has more training under her belt. She is just too strong for me when she gets out of control and now most of my new neighbors already think she is another mean out of control pitbull and she really isnt!

I did some searching around my area; Wichita, Kansas. and I dont know if I am just not looking in the right places but I can not seem to find a good dog trainer that knows what to do with a pit type dog. Maybe one of you can help me find one around my area?

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Do you have a friend or family member who owns a dog? Even if it is a dog she already knows this can help out. When I was working with Dosia on distractions I would have my sister make her dog sit in a certain spot and we'd walk by him. If Dosia tried to run over to play or break the heal I'd tell him leave it and start over. It did take a bit but I can walk him past barking dogs and he pays no attention to them at all he just stays straight ahead.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Hopefully you can find a trainer or help with the training. If she is that uncontrollable I fully understand not wanting to take her back out.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes we have friends with dogs she has met and played with, but since we moved they are in the town we used to live in about two hours away.

I have to let her burn energy and it flusterates me that it has been a week since I took her on a walk; because I am scared she will get out of control and something bad will happen.

UPDATE: Had her out in my front yard on a leash this evening after making her pretty tired playing fetch in our back yard and this couple went by walking past our house and she went bazerk on them!!!! Did the same thing she did as if she seen a loose dog! WTF? She acted like she wanted to attack them, and she has never done that! Now its starting to scare me... I popped her on the nose, told her NO and took her inside right away and put her in her kennel. Only disapline I could think of at that moment. :confused:

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
The the kennel should never be used as a punishment. Dogs do not understand why that happened to them. You could have popped the leash told her "NO" and have a treat distraction to get er focused back on you. I think the enviroment she is living in is changing her. She use to get go on walks she had a different life and now there is chaos that wasn't there before. Since you are in a new town is there a place that you can take her to walk her. Maybe be a park that all dogs need to be leashed or a trail nearby. That way you could work on having her focus on you with less distractions around. Once you get her to focus on you on these walks you could move to a place that has more activity. You will need to be patient and consistant in her training. Plus if she was around alot of people before and now she isn't around anyone she will act different.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
I wouldn't recommend putting her away as a punishment. They don't understand it. I understand it's frustrating and it probably feels like you're the only one with the problem right now. Trust me, we've all had areas of obedience training we've struggled with.

The idea of a prong collar or a check chain is a good one but you need to know how to use them properly or they don't work. Finding a trainer to show you how to heel her and get her to focus on you instead of distractions would be a good plan. Sorry I don't live in the U.S. so I can't help you find one in your area but I'm sure someone else will be able to.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well since I didnt have no treats on me, and we was both just relaxing on the porch I didnt think to have any. And I know I shouldnt of put her in her kennel but like I said, that was the only thing I could think of when I reacted because it shocked me! I am new to this town so I dont know it very much or where to even find a park around here; I am sure there is because its HUGE! Ill do some research and find out; good idea!

She is still around my kids, my hubby, me and my hubbys buddies he has met at his new job. And our family comes down or we go see them at least once a week, we take her. My best friend is supost to be coming down this coming weekend but she is pretty busy so I dont know if that is going to happen just yet.

I dont like this neighborhood either so I kinda dont blame her. Everyone is always letting their dogs loose to run the neighborhood. I have actually called the dog cop to come assist the situation but he didnt do much but pick the dogs up and then the next day they was back out running again.

I talked to my husband about moving to a better neighborhood, one that keeps their dogs up and not running amuck in the streets... but as of right now, money is pretty tight so thats probably not going to happen any time soon.

I am still seaching around and asking people about a dog trainer. I dont want just any old one, I want one that has some expierence under their belt and who have delt with pit type dogs like her before.

I get the feeling that she might possibly be protecting me? She has always favored me more than anyone and maybe since its a new place for her, she thinks its her duty to protect me from on comming people and other dogs we dont know? I dont know that is just the vibe I feel I am getting from her lately.

Going to do some hardcore training about 15-20 minutes a couple times a day and next wednesday I am going to buy me a prong collar and see how that works out for us.

I will keep everyone updated and hopefully I either get her more responsive to my commands or I find someone professional who can help me out. :roll:

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
Going to do some hardcore training about 15-20 minutes a couple times a day and next wednesday I am going to buy me a prong collar and see how that works out for us.

I will keep everyone updated and hopefully I either get her more responsive to my commands or I find someone professional who can help me out. :roll:
You've got the right idea about keeping training sessions short. Just remember to finish the session on a positive note i.e. if she does the command right, don't keep going until she does it wrong and end there. They will remember the last one so make sure it's a good one.

I've never used a prong collar before but I assume the principle should be the same as a check chain in that a short sharp correction is all that's required. If the collar is tight around their neck the whole time she won't know the difference between being corrected and doing the right thing.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I personally have never used a prong collar, so I can't speak on it. I use a harness and a regular 2" collar. I have separate leashes attached to each one so if by chance once breaks I still have control. I carry within my pocket bits of chicken or pumpkin (high value treats for Beastley). At the first sign of his hackles rising, ears perk, stare, I say "come" and make a fast turn in the other direction, when he turns with me I say good boy and offer a treat. This way he learns to stay at my side. You may also check out the UKC website and click on your city,state. They will have a list of training/trainers they recommend in your area. You can also contact your local shelter, Humane Society, ASPCA, or vet for trainers they use. Good luck, keep us posted. Report the loose dogs in your area and file a complaint.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Prongs can be a great learning tool if they are used properly. If you do a search at the top of the forum on prong collars there is a great thread on how to properly fit and use them. I have had great results from prongs.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
The harness backed up with a good flat collar will help curb the leash agression. some dogs fire up with pressure applied to the throat. prongs are great to correct behavior but always back up a prong with another slip color. Its not fun having the prong fall apart when your depending on it to restrain a strong dog. A good trainer will teach you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Wow I cant believe I am still up!! :hammer:

I have been reading and watching videos on prong collars for about 3 hours now. I have to get up at 7am and head to work and its already 1am!

Anyways I already have a harness for her, so I think I am going to fit the prong collar propery and leave it untouched with one leash till she needs a sharp, to the point, correction, from it. And have my back up harness and lead, to fall back on incase she breaks the prong collar some how! :confused:

Also thought about getting one of them weight back packs I seen at petsmart for her, give her some weight to carry around besides her own, once we get to the point of going down the road again.

But for now she will burn off energy by playing fetch with me and then doing some one on one training in the back yard a couple times a day. We will start there and build on distractions slowly as she progresses.

You all are great, thanks for all the helpful advice!! I will keep you updated on how she does! I dropped my phone in the water but will get pictures up soon!

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
The harness backed up with a good flat collar will help curb the leash agression. some dogs fire up with pressure applied to the throat. prongs are great to correct behavior but always back up a prong with another slip color. Its not fun having the prong fall apart when your depending on it to restrain a strong dog. A good trainer will teach you everything you need to know.
I actually had a prong collar do that once on a walk with Loki. There were two little yippy dogs behind a chain link fence across the street and he pulled and it literally fell off of him. I have no idea how or why but those little dogs were dang lucky there was a fence between them and Loki and I was lucky he was distracted by them enough that I was able to grab him quickly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually had a prong collar do that once on a walk with Loki. There were two little yippy dogs behind a chain link fence across the street and he pulled and it literally fell off of him.\.
Does prong collars have a tendency of falling apart in the worst possible moment?? What makes them fall apart? The links mess up, come apart or what? :confused: I really don't want that to happen, expecally with Shay! That would be bad! :cop:

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
Always have a back up collar or harness just in case. I've never had one come apart on me but I can see if it is a little too loose the links could come apart. Just make sure it is fitted properly for your dog.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Always have a back up collar or harness just in case. I've never had one come apart on me but I can see if it is a little too loose the links could come apart. Just make sure it is fitted properly for your dog.
Ok I will do that! Thank You

Shay's Training Day 1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
147 Posts
hi if you don't mind can i ask some questions and if i can add some of my short experience with my dog and his habits towards other dogs and the corrections and steps I've taken.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts