Go Pitbull Forums banner

Activities question

1K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Willahondro 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Sorry if this is a total noob question, but I have run into a bit of a dilemma and wanted some pro advice. I have a Foster 10 month old Pup. He's extremely loving and social with all the humans and animals (including the two Jack Russell Terriers) living in the house. I've read somewhere that these dogs need to work off a lot of energy otherwise they get bored and occasionally destructive. Normally, it's not an issue because I will run all of the Dogs, PitBull and Jack Russell, and play a game of fetch that will literally go on for a long period of time. Now here's the issue. I've had to start working until late at night, and it takes me an hour to get home so if I'm lucky I'm walking in the door at 11pm.

Playing fetch in the dark sucks... so I've thought about walking Robbie at night, except I don't have a reflective vest for him to wear and he's a blue so he kind of blends with the shadows. The street I live on is far enough off the main road that there are no street lights. I don't want him to get spooked by the car that didn't see us walking on the side of the road, and I don't want to trigger any of the defensive behaviors of a startled Pit Bull if we ran into someone out there walking around in the dark. If he were smaller, I'd just run him in the house with the other dogs, but Robbie is a big pup, and I don't want him to hurt himself or anyone / thing else. Are there any other experienced owners that have had this problem? How did you deal with it?

Someone had mentioned to me of getting a treadmill and running him on that for half hour to 45 minutes... I don't know about the Dog but I personally hate treadmills, they're boring. But Then again, I'm not a dog so maybe that is a totally viable option.

Thoughts?

See less See more
#2 ·
Oooo Get a glow in the dark ball!!!!! Or one that lights up!

When I lived with my dad we spent many nights outside playing fetch with the black Lab with a glow in the dark ball, she loves it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.