Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Dosia is doing amazing with WP. He took to the harness very well. My question would be how often should I increase the weight he pulls. Right now he has a Jeep 4x4 tire that we hook to the harness and he drags it back and forth across the back porch. Probably for 10 minutes or so. After this last week and a half of working he's just running with the tire now, like there no effort in it lol, so I'm thinking I need to add a bit more weight for him. What would you suggest to add more weight? And about how much more should I add with out stressing him?

· Registered
135 Posts
Back and forth on the porch is too short of distance. You are better off using a tow chain and starting with a 10 or 15 lb weight. You want to drag weight him at least 200 to 300 feet. Are you on wood, cement, or dirt?
Dirt and grass are best. Do not use the tar road.

During the drag weighting, are you stopping to give him a quick break?

· The Yard Of Many Colors
3,422 Posts
i agree... id have him drag it alot farther.... the easier it gets for them the farther you make them go or start taking them up and down hills :D

3,422 Posts
Thanks for the help guys. I wanted to take him to drag at the park but it was all rainy :(
i luv takin ours to the park to work... its funny seein some of the looks youll get though :D

· Registered
135 Posts
i luv takin ours to the park to work... its funny seein some of the looks youll get though :D
Oh so true!

I say.. train in the rain, unless there is lighning.

I had a neighbor ask me if I was fighting dogs, because I had a weight track, in my screen room. I was so angry! I wanted to say to her "Gee, I must be good", I've had the same dog for 5 years and not a scratch on him"...

but, some people don't have a sense of humor.

Sorry.. off topic.

3,422 Posts
Oh so true!

I say.. train in the rain, unless there is lighning.

I had a neighbor ask me if I was fighting dogs, because I had a weight track, in my screen room. I was so angry! I wanted to say to her "Gee, I must be good", I've had the same dog for 5 years and not a scratch on him"...

but, some people don't have a sense of humor.

Sorry.. off topic.
I've had AC called on me for them draggin tires and being on the genny mill... It's funny seeing their faces the next week when I've still got all my dogs :D

· Banned
3,725 Posts
I wouldnt go higher than his body weight in dragging until you x-ray his hips. That's just me but I wouldnt want to cause any long term permanent damage.

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you guys so much for the help. I think we'll just stick with the tire for now. I'll try and get some pics of him at the park :)

· Banned
3,725 Posts
Thank you guys so much for the help. I think we'll just stick with the tire for now. I'll try and get some pics of him at the park :)
If you are not planning on competing then its alright to let him run with the weight since you wont be going that much higher. If you were planning on competing you have to train him to mantain proper form, once you get to heavy weights I would def x-ray him. He looks in excellent shape though:clap:

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks so much, we are planning on competing so there will be some x-rays in the future. He's just a beginner and I don't want to stress his joints, so I guess well just take it slow for now.

· Premium Member
4,654 Posts
Hey KG here is how I work it and how I believe you get the best results. Weight pull training is no different than weight lifting for humans as muscle is muscle. What you want to build in your dog is strength, not bulk. The way to do this is to tear the muscle down, it rebuilds itself stronger and bigger too. However you have fast twitch and slow twitch fibers. To do it right, less weight longer distances works best. But mix up some short quick bursts as well, just focus more on long distance drags. You will find you need less weight as you are dragging it further, this builds endurance. When I was training hard we were dragging about 2000 ft. Eventually, instead of going up weight I went to 2500ft then 4000 ft. Basically it was 1000ft to the back of my property line, so 2000 there and back. As we built up I did all the dogs 2000ft then came back and did them again. I never acutally did 4000 at one time. My goal was for the dog to be hot, tired and working hard the last 5-600 feet. I wanted it to be hard but yet not so hard they wanted to quit. NEVER try to max your dog out at home. There is no point, no one keeping track or setting records. Leave your max for the show. At home build the mind and body!

Reactions: Black Rabbit

· Original Prankster
13,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you so much for the advice. We went out today and circled the property a few times so he was dragging through dirt and grass instead of on the slab, not quite 1000ft. He did great. he gets super excited now when he sees his harness :)

· Jr MEMBER
1,309 Posts
Oh, and one thing to keep in mind. You don't want your dog to be running with the weight, if you're avoiding frustration. Some dogs get frustrated when they're used to being able to run with a weight and then when hooked onto something heavier and they can't run they get frustrated. If it's that easy for him to pull and he runs each time, just walk next to him. :D

I'm checking out the park this weekend, hopefully sometime Saturday after 3 since I'll be helping Haven Humane over at the City hall till 3.

· Registered
135 Posts
Hey KG here is how I work it and how I believe you get the best results. Weight pull training is no different than weight lifting for humans as muscle is muscle. What you want to build in your dog is strength, not bulk. The way to do this is to tear the muscle down, it rebuilds itself stronger and bigger too. However you have fast twitch and slow twitch fibers. To do it right, less weight longer distances works best. But mix up some short quick bursts as well, just focus more on long distance drags. You will find you need less weight as you are dragging it further, this builds endurance. When I was training hard we were dragging about 2000 ft. Eventually, instead of going up weight I went to 2500ft then 4000 ft. Basically it was 1000ft to the back of my property line, so 2000 there and back. As we built up I did all the dogs 2000ft then came back and did them again. I never acutally did 4000 at one time. My goal was for the dog to be hot, tired and working hard the last 5-600 feet. I wanted it to be hard but yet not so hard they wanted to quit. NEVER try to max your dog out at home. There is no point, no one keeping track or setting records. Leave your max for the show. At home build the mind and body!
Love this info! :clap: Thank you ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.