Go Pitbull Forums banner

Adopting a dog vs buying from a breeder

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  performanceknls 
#1 ·
I thought this would make a good discussion to talk about the positives from buying from a breeder vs adopting a dog. Given what happened to Helena (the APBT who blew out 2 ACL's) I find this to be very common with rescued or adopted mixed breed or dogs with unknown back grounds. Not that registered dogs do not have their own health issues but more and more I see my clients dogs having structural issues and most are rescues or mixed breeds. I think bad or careless breeding practices by BYB plays a huge roll in this as well. Do not get me wrong I have seen my share (and own a few) adopted dogs that are very healthy but it seems like more and more dogs are falling apart. Some has to do with how the owners exercise the dogs but that is another topic all together.
I think getting a dog from a good breeder can reduce you chances of having these issues later on in life. While I still think adopting dogs has it's place, I think you cannot beat a breeder when it comes to quality.

#2 ·
This is a good topic and for me I'm all for adopting dogs but buying from reputable breeders has its place as well. I think for people who know what breed they want, and have a desire to train for particular activities the breeder is preferred because the ancestory is known and what the dog will end up looking like is more predictable. But as far as having just a pet I think rescue group and shelters are great places to find dogs, and rescues go to lengths to make sure your a good owner for the dog. I think the health of the dogs does come into question when dealing with adult or young adult dogs in shelters that may have come from BYB or mills. When I see puppies in shelters (and i probably think this way cause i just adopted my puppy from a shelter) I feel that they are usually from accidental breeding and alot of times are mixes which most likely doesnt have any greater chance of genetic problems than any other dog. JMO

#3 ·
I think if you want a pet, then adoption is great. If you want to work a dog your running a big risk with an adopted dog IF you dont know the background of the dog. You could get the dog home and it just not want to perform or even worse end up getting hurt like you stated in the OP (blown ACL's).

#5 ·
I think I will always get my dogs from a breeder, unless I'm adopting a puppy and not an adult dog from a shelter. I believe that adopting adult dogs comes with risk. I know that shelters temperment test and everything, but I just don't feel comfortable about it. I have never had a problem with buying my dogs from breeders and years later I am still in contact with them. Now I have taken in adult dogs from a friend of mine, but in that case I knew that background of the dogs and if I hadn't taken them they probably would have ended up in the hands of someone irresponsible.

#6 ·
Hm, I am all about adopting because there are so many poor animals in shelters that need a home. For health reasons you would probably want to go to a good breeder IF you are looking for a pure breed, however my experience has been that mutts seem to be very healthy dogs. My first dog was a dalmation/lab mix and she never had a thing wrong with her and she lived to be about 13-14. Kallie and Indi are mixed breeds and Kallie has her allergies, but so far nothing serious. My mom has a several hundred dollar yorkie at home and he acts the same as her free adopted yorkie lol..they both are, well, not the most behaved dogs out here and the several hundred dollar yorkie was from a reputable breeder but has food allergies. I like seeing the personality and appearence of mutts develop so I will always be a shelter person ;)

If you wanna show or anything like that, then a breeder is the best bet, but for a great pet adoption is the best choice IMO

#7 ·
All are great points but from a professional that sees 100's of dogs a month I can tell you mixed breeds are not as healthy as some may think. This is why I started this thread because more and more I am seeing structural issues from these dogs or weird deceases pop up. I started out with rescues for some of my dogs and I love them dearly but from now on I am only keep what I breed or get from another breeder. One because I show dogs but 2 because of health concerns. I really find it heart breaking when I see a family adopt a dog and go through a few sets of classes with me and then health problems start to develop. Now of course not all rescues have health issues I am just saying in the last 5 years I have seen a large increase and it is interesting to me. I do not feel shelter dogs are less worthy but something to consider. I have no idea why rescues are starting to show up with more issues, I just think it is an interesting observation.

#8 ·
Some of the dogs from BYBs can make it into the shelter system, but I doubt this is the reason for an increased number of health issues with mixed breeds. Everyone's experience is different, so I guess I have been lucky with my pups! :) Maybe the conditions in which one specific breed is going thru before getting to the shelter has something to do with it? Haha just brainstorming..don't listen to me!

#9 ·
I would have to say it is more of an enviromental issue rather than a actual health issue with dogs. We have more pollutants in our water and ground and air than we have ever had before.... okay maybe they were there before but we didn't have the tests to know it. And also with all the genetically modified foods on the market I think this also plays a big role in the health of our pets.

The oldest dogs and the most healthest were just mutts that we rescued. Montag a bordercollie/ dobie lived to be 16yrs old. His brother was 17yrs old. Gemma and Blue Jean lab shepherd crosses were 14 and 12yrs old. Onxy was a mix of 4 different breeds he lived to be 25yrs old and he ate mostly a rice hamburger tomato diet and we stopped give him yr vaccinations at 8yrs.

#16 ·
The oldest dogs and the most healthest were just mutts that we rescued. Montag a bordercollie/ dobie lived to be 16yrs old. His brother was 17yrs old. Gemma and Blue Jean lab shepherd crosses were 14 and 12yrs old. Onxy was a mix of 4 different breeds he lived to be 25yrs old and he ate mostly a rice hamburger tomato diet and we stopped give him yr vaccinations at 8yrs.
I have never heard of a dog living 25 years, thats incredible, was that a typo.........

#10 ·
I believe that if all you want is a companion then adopt. However if you want to compete and need papers for registries then buy from a reputable breeder.

#12 ·
I wonder if the care and nutrition of the dog prior to being adopted plays a role in the over health of the dog. I wonder if the rescues that Performance sees have issues because of years of poor nutrition, or bad nutrition and care while the dam was pregnant and on the street, or in a neglectful home.

Because I have dogs at home already, I feel more comfortable getting a pup from a breeder. I can get a good idea of the size to expect, and bringing a pup into a home with dogs is easier than bringing in a dog. I hate that shelters will alter a dog at 8 weeks old in order to adopt it out at a young age. It's a double edged sword, yes you do not want more unwanted pets out there, but I just feel like altering too early invites health concerns as well. Many of the responsible rescues out there make the standard for adopting so high, the paperwork and home visits, only to go on a long waiting list might turn many folks away, especially when the adoption fees are often $200+. When the average Joe looks for a dog, they will not understand the process and may be turned off, because they can get their choice of a pup from a BYB for the same cost, and no hassle. So this is why I think many 1st time owners turn to BYBs. My hubby would never tolerate the adoption process for a rescue. He hates being "judged" and would never agree to a home visit lol. It is hard to make people who have never been involved in rescue understand the process. As far as he sees it, we have dogs, they are obviously healthy, the vet can confirm that, we have a house, our licenses can confirm that, what more do they need. When I tell him how people try to adopt dogs for bad purposes, he says, well they can call the vet and see that we treat our dogs well, its just something he can't justify. He thinks home visits mean you have to put on a show and bribe people to give you a dog, like serve them food and stuff. He just doesn't get it, and I imagine there are a lot of people out there who feel the same way. They fill out the app, submit references, and then feel like the length of time for a response due to limited volunteers, and the strict home visits etc are very strenuous. So with rescues it's a catch-22. These are just some observations and speculations I have made, although I have purchased all 3 dogs from breeders, up until these 3, I have never had anything but rescues.

#13 ·
I think that nutrition provided by previous owners does have somewhat of an effect, because if they are deprived certain nutrients in developmental stages, the risk for certain diseases may elevate as the dog matures. In a lot of cases you'd see a dog on a poor diet with a combination of complete lack of exercise, and surely that takes it's toll.

As far as the adoption process, I was unaware that it was so complicated. I know that the purpose is bring dogs home to responsible, caring families, but I didn't know about home visits.. I wouldn't think you'd have to prepare dinner for them LOL kinda funny your old man thought that, Jami.

#14 ·
The difficulty of the adoption process depends and where you adopt from. I got Kallie for 80$, she just needed to be spayed when she was old enough..they gave her shots and a chip. Indi I adopted for 35$ and she came to me with shots and needed to be spayed when she was old enough. For Kallie the shelter called about a year later and asked how she was and that was the last we heard from them. I think shelters should ask for something in return, because many of them are run on donations. I also believe that you eliminate some unwanted owners by requesting some amount of money or commitment. The shelter I adopted Kallie from liked when owners would bring in their other dogs to see how they would get along (and probably to see the way the currant animal was being cared for). With Indi I had to fill out an app with various questions such as amount of space and previous experience..all things you could lie about, but if you have an honest person you might get some idea of where the dog you have put money into rescuing is going. When you put "free" on something you get all kinds of people. We had to do this with some farm kittens, and we didn't wanna send them home with everyone that showed up...but there wasn't much we could say since we didn't have any requirements. I know cats are different, because free kittens are everywhere lol but I think the same thing goes for dogs. If someone invests in the animal it is likely they will continue to invest if the animals needs vet care and such.

#17 · (Edited)
I've done both routes.

Mostly I prefer to go to a breeder, I think whether I actually pay the breeder or not is irrelevant, I'm still getting a pup/dog from the breeder even if I do not pay.

I like the ability to have a pedigree, know the parents, get a health guarantee, have an idea how my pup will turn on in terms of structure, drive and temperament. Many times you really can't get this from a shelter dog, though somewhat you might be able to in certain rescue situations. There is also people privately re-homing dogs that might be suitable for conformation/dog sports.

To me health issues are a concern. Especially with certain breeds. Temperament can be too.

The difficulty of the adoption process depends and where you adopt from. I got Kallie for 80$, she just needed to be spayed when she was old enough..they gave her shots and a chip. Indi I adopted for 35$ and she came to me with shots and needed to be spayed when she was old enough. For Kallie the shelter called about a year later and asked how she was and that was the last we heard from them. I think shelters should ask for something in return, because many of them are run on donations. I also believe that you eliminate some unwanted owners by requesting some amount of money or commitment. The shelter I adopted Kallie from liked when owners would bring in their other dogs to see how they would get along (and probably to see the way the currant animal was being cared for). With Indi I had to fill out an app with various questions such as amount of space and previous experience..all things you could lie about, but if you have an honest person you might get some idea of where the dog you have put money into rescuing is going. When you put "free" on something you get all kinds of people. We had to do this with some farm kittens, and we didn't wanna send them home with everyone that showed up...but there wasn't much we could say since we didn't have any requirements. I know cats are different, because free kittens are everywhere lol but I think the same thing goes for dogs. If someone invests in the animal it is likely they will continue to invest if the animals needs vet care and such.
You could have had requirements. That is what you could have done about it. Whether it be free or $10,000 the choice to have requirements or to not let someone take or buy the animal lies with the current owner. Even with free you can have a list of criteria or you can turn people down. I'm sure you still did not send them with outright bad people? If someone said they were going to take the kitten and bbq them or let their dog chase and kill it you certainly would not have let them have it.

I agree that "free" can bring all sorts of people, some of the least responsible and some very bad ones too. But I don't agree that it is likely for someone to continue to invest after the initial investment, if only it were that simply. Sadly many people buy puppies only to get rid of them later or neglect them (no medical care, not fed properly, left abandoned in home or yard). Some people think they paid a lot $100-300 so that is why they don't want to get rid of this "valuable" dog but fail to feed or care for it. Sad shame really. I can't argue against charging something. As I do think it helps for many irresponsible people not to even take a look since it will cost them something in the first place, but in the end many irresponsible owners will still pay to get the dog but not to care for the dog. (it would be nice to see numbers on this in different areas)

Patch yes dogs can and do live to be 20yrs+ Though this is pure bred included. Just as their are mixed breeds who die young.

I believe that if all you want is a companion then adopt. However if you want to compete and need papers for registries then buy from a reputable breeder.
What happens to the reputable breeders pet quality dogs?

#15 ·
I agree with the investment, don't get me wrong. The real issue adoption process that I was describing was not shelters, but rescues, and they often do not get govt funding, and they need the money they charge in order to care for the next animal that comes in. It is just hard justifying an unpapered pup to hubby when it costs $250, and they want a home visit etc, he just doesn't understand, he comes from the mentality of if you want a particular breed, get it from a breeder, if you want a mutt go to the shelter. But I hate the shelters because a lot of shelters just go through the motions, and I feel I can't trust their temperment evals a lot etc. Plus I would not bring my dogs to a shelter to meet the new dog, as that is asking for Kennel cough or parasites to come into my home. I know Dave's shelter is great and well run, and from the stories and photos you can tell people care, but that is not the case with most shelters. I went to the SPCA before we got Lady, and the lack of care and socialization was disgusting, I could not trust one of their scared malnourished dogs to come into my home, no one was there to answer questions, or knew anything about the individual dogs, if I asked how it was with other animals, I got asked if I wanted them to take the dog out so I could see it. I got a kitten from Animal Control in NY, and it ended up feral, but I didn't want to take it back because they wuld put it down, so I tried to work with it. One day it ran at the door as I was coming in, I grabbed at her, and she mauled me. SHe got into the yard, and hubby ran out to try to get her, and when he got her she nearly took out his eye, so she stayed outside, we tried everything to coax her back in. No luck. She diappeared in a day or 2, I called animal control to ask for a trap to try to get her, and they said they had no reports of a loose animal lol wtf? They said they only deal with strays when I told them my animal was loose. So she was lost. I put out food and treats and tried to lure her back, but she never came close to me, so I left food in the yard, but after a day I never saw her again, I looked in the streets for her body, but found nothing, I called shelters, and vets and AC no sign of her. This cat came to me so messed up that after years of living in the house with us she was still wild. We were never able to pick her up, she sat near us in the house sometimes, but you couldn't touch her. All our other cats are fat and lazy and they beg to be touched lol. So shelters are often just a place filled with idiots who don't know anything, and don't care.

#18 ·
No that was not a typo. He was 25 yrs old his brother was 23yrs and their mother died from cancer at 22 yrs. Yenta ( the mother) was an abused dog the guy that had her almost killed kicking her when my dad brought her home she had part of her intestines hang out her back end. Goes to show what love can do. We got her when she was only 8mos old.

#19 ·
Well my mom was handling who was getting a kitten, because I wouldn't let them go home with anyone if it was up to me lol We did end up keeping two of the cats so we didn't have to send them away with unknown people. There were so many free kitten signs up around our area we never would have got rid of them any other way, and my mom did not want to send them to a shelter, but you're right..if we got a really bad vibe from people we wouldn't let them go, and we would try to educate people on proper care. Sometimes people get free kittens and puppies and use them for bait or target practice:( I understand an intitial investment doesn't mean continued investment, but it is a start at least and the fact that it might thin the irresponsible owner pool is a good thing. I prefer adopting from smaller local shelters, because they seem to be in it for the good of the animal and like I said Indi was from a local shelter that originally started as a poodle rescue, and she was only 35$, so someone looking for a cheap family dog might have to shop around. I think if you feel a bond with the dog you might pay 200$, even tho I think this is way to much for a mutt IMO. I am not a fan of the Humane Society, but I would take them over the city pound in a heart beat. My experience with the HS back in Indiana was that they could benefit from much better facilities, but a few people working there really did seem to care about the animals, and at least the animals there get a while for adoption before they have to be euthanized.

I know of a few people that have gone to breeders because they want a specific breed that has been bred from healthy parents. If more people would research breed health issues they might stop going to petshops and using a good breeder. One can only hope tho.....how I HATE petshops!!!!!!!

#20 ·
any advice

I want a apbt but im kind of ify on adopting a puppy because you really never know his/her background only what they give you. You dont know his family background either, but if you go to a byb I feel like its almost like getting one from a shelter. You see there parents but 9 times out of 10 they havent been breed/cared for right. Then on the other hand if you go to a repitable breeders your paying thousands of dollars atleast the ones I've seen and referred to. So right now im stuck. Any advice?

#21 ·
I want a apbt but im kind of ify on adopting a puppy because you really never know his/her background only what they give you. You dont know his family background either, but if you go to a byb I feel like its almost like getting one from a shelter. You see there parents but 9 times out of 10 they havent been breed/cared for right. Then on the other hand if you go to a repitable breeders your paying thousands of dollars atleast the ones I've seen and referred to. So right now im stuck. Any advice?
I have never seen a real APBT breeder selling their dogs for thousands of dollars the most I have seen is 800 and some for as much as 1500 but that is rare. Are you sure ur not looking at AmBullies alot of time they sell dogs for thousands of dollars and IMO if they are selling a dog for that much then all they care about is making money and not the breed. I'm sure other people on here will have plenty of input!:)

#22 ·
I have another APBT that was bought from a byb blow an ACL. This is a new client I just picked up yesterday. I am telling you I am seeing many health issues than the past. I guess it mean "free" is not always "free".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.