Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the summer we lost Tia, too long and sad of a story to get into, we've not finished going thru the grieving stage but we approached by a fellow worker of my husband's about taking in an older staffy.
The oldest we've ever taken in was a 3 yr old rottie girl. We knew all of her background and there were no real surprises.
I could use some advice about taking in a 3+ yr old spayed staffy. Before we decide anything I wanted to get some feedback from other folks that have done an older adoption.
The one tidbit I have is she's in the house with 2 other dogs with no problems. Sorry I don't have alot of background info on this lady yet, but I didn't want to plow into this half-cocked.
Feed back appreciated.
C

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
IMO, getting an older dog is great because their temperament and personality are fully developed. You know what you're getting into more so than with a puppy. And especially since she's living with someone else right now, you can get all the info on her quirks, so you don't walk into this with no idea of how she'll actually be (ie. if she were in a shelter instead).

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
If it was my home I would want to know more about the dog in particular older dogs along with younger dogs can all carry issues depending on how they were raised , not raised, how they were bred ect. Did they give a reason why they are rehoming her at this age? If you have kids and other animals you may want to take that into consideration, with me a dog who hasnt been raised with kids I would only take in as a trial to make sure they fit , here if they arent good with kids they wont be staying but thats my house rules, You have to think about what is and isnt acceptable to you and make sure its a good fit with your family and lifestyle. The up part on getting an adult is you dont have to deal with the house breaking { hopefully lol} or the nipping puppy stages lol.
I would have alot of questions about the dog
-good with kids /animals if you have any in your home?
- health records , all shots utd , any health issues that may cost you alot of $$$?
-any bad habits, chewing, aggression, ?
I would also taking in an adult want to be able to have a trial period so if it doesnt work out you arent stuck in a bad situation { we did this with out adult we took in,luckly she fit in just fine} but see if they willlet you take her for a week or so and see how that goes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The only additional info I can add is that the staffy was his daughter's and there's a divorce pending. She's leaving and the soon to be ex doesn't want the dog. I also know they have kids- we don't- and the staffy's living in the house with the daughter's dad. I don't know the staffy's vetting, energy or training levels. The dad's not wanting to take the staffy to the shelter and will keep her if we don't want her. So, the staffy is not in any immediate danger.
Heck, to tell the truth, I'm unsure just how old the staffy is. Right now after losing Tia, our youngest is 5.

Thanks for responding and with the advice.
C

·
Silver VIP Member
1,069 Posts
We adopted a 6 year old GSD over the summer, and he is amazing. Every dog has it's own personality, but I liked being able to go into this adoption knowing exactly what we were getting ourselves into. You should meet the dog, spend some time with her-- and talk to the ones who actually know her, if that's possible. The daughter or son. Get all the info you can BEFORE you make a decision. (We got Caesar's vet records all the way back to when he was rescued from his first owner by Animal Control) and we spent several hours with him before saying for sure that we would take him.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
solid advice from everyone. Thanks I'll keep it all in mind. Will post if we go forward to meeting this girl.

·
RateMyPitbull.com Moderator
4,389 Posts
Good advice here. I totally recommend older dog adoptions. As already mentioned, their personality and temperament is set, they are already trained (big plus), and they have less chance of being adopted compared to younger dogs.

If I were in the situation of needing to adopt another dog, it would be an older dog. I don't have the time to train a puppy right now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, the dad decided to keep her. Which is a-okay with me. I think there would have been drama from everyone, BUT the dad over the dog. I'm just not going to be in a huge hurry with adopting. When the right one comes along we'll know it.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Get as much information as you can and meet the dog and spend some time with it. A dog with an unknown back ground can have issues. I recommend if you get the dog do it on a 2 week trial first before making it a for sure thing. I have brought many older dogs into my home and I also have young children. For the most part they have all been great,but not every dog will fit every type of home.

Edit.. well never mind just saw your last post lol.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts