Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Everyone,
First I'll start with a little bit of background, I've been reading a lot of posts on this forum and doing a lot of research about pitbulls for about a year now, I like to think I know my stuff. I am looking to get a new pitbull puppy but need you're advice. I am a 19 year old college student (no I'm not broke, I have plenty of money lol) I have never owned a dog before and I am heavily involved in boxing (the only time I will be apart from the puppy is during my classes and during training/workouts, but at that time one of my 4 roommates will be home). I'm not the stereotypical college student, I don't drink and I'm very responsible. I am not worried about training or giving the dog enough attention, what I am worried about is the vet costs. I also have a few other questions.
How much does it cost to have a female pit spayed I have heard anywhere from $100-$400? How much can i expect to spend on puppy vaccines?
Lastly, I have a feeling you guys will hate this but I want your advice on a situation. A student at my school "breeds" pits. He gives them out at 4-weeks old (young I know). I haven't asked him yet but I also doubt any one of these new pups sees a vet before it gets in my hands. But, everyone who I have talked to that has bought a pup from him is extremely happy with it. Would I be okay in buying one of his puppies or should I avoid him and go to a breeder/rescue?

Thanks for all your help! Any extra advice would be appreciated as well!

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts
I would def look at a rescue before supporting someone who shouldn't be breeding.

From a rescue you can get a dog that is already spayed, and health checked, with shots for less that what it would cost from a breeder. Plus you would be saving a life.

Vet cost are not bad unless a major issue happens. Dogs getting to poison or something it shouldn't eat, or getting loose and injured are things that can cost large vet bills.

I have 6 dogs and only I work my husband stays home and I afford all the proper vet care for them.

However if something big happens it can run from $200-$500 or up to a few thousand.

There is also an issue of your roommates. Often in homes with multiple people handing and dealing with the dog certain people will let the dog do undesirable things that can cause health or behavior issues and it came be come stressful on the living situation.

You need to make sure your roommates are prepared to reinforce proper behaviors the way you want and keep up to your standard of care if the dog is out with them and you are gone.

·
Auth. Top Breeder
788 Posts
I would def look at a rescue before supporting someone who shouldn't be breeding.

From a rescue you can get a dog that is already spayed, and health checked, with shots for less that what it would cost from a breeder. Plus you would be saving a life.

Vet cost are not bad unless a major issue happens. Dogs getting to poison or something it shouldn't eat, or getting loose and injured are things that can cost large vet bills.

I have 6 dogs and only I work my husband stays home and I afford all the proper vet care for them.

However if something big happens it can run from $200-$500 or up to a few thousand.

There is also an issue of your roommates. Often in homes with multiple people handing and dealing with the dog certain people will let the dog do undesirable things that can cause health or behavior issues and it came be come stressful on the living situation.

You need to make sure your roommates are prepared to reinforce proper behaviors the way you want and keep up to your standard of care if the dog is out with them and you are gone.
darn how come i cant type fast enough to say the same thing lol

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,258 Posts

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Rescues are the way to go in my book but sometimes it can be hard to get one as most rescues have standards that you have to beable to full fill.

What bloodline is this person breeding is it even what you are looking for? Are they registered with ABDA or UKC?

As far as vet costs I would call around to the vets in yor area adn ask them what the cost of a spay runs also the office visit and vacc costs. Then go out and price crates and toys and all that stuff plus you would want to figure out what food you are going to feed. That will give a good idea of the initial cost.

Good luck with getting your pup.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Shots and vet visits all depend on the vet you use.

As for spaying, it depends on the vet. My vet honestly charges $650. which is very high. Of course there are clinics and programs that are cheaper as well as other vet facilities.

Check into the laws in your state. In several states it is illegal to sell pups that young. If your sate is one of them, I'd suggest filing a complaint asap. You can also call you local animal control to look into the issue.
If more people would get involved in stopping BYBs who do illegal things less of them would be umping out pups.

People like that care nothing about the breed let alone the individual dogs. Those poor pups

Commend you for doing research and please continue to do so... a year is nothing. learning about them is a never ending venture.

Before getting a pup make sure where you live always them. Finding a place to live that allows APBTs if you do not own your own home can sometimes be a challenge.

There is an awesome rescue dog who is very trainable who was just put up on here. I think with your lifestyle he might suit your needs. He is 2 so not a little pup, but I think you should take a peek any way.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Click the words to see the thread with his videos:
belowhttp://www.gopitbull.com/general-discussion/20584-awesome-working-pitbull-indiana-shelter.html

·
Registered
191 Posts
You didnt say where you lived but in Chicago there is free spay and neuter for pits / mixes . Check the pitbull rescue sites for your area and you can find all kind of stuff for free for pits. In the Chi we even have an obedience school that gives free classes to pits.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your advice! As to the situation w/ my roommates, don't worry, I'd be giving the riot act before the puppy came in and they would all know the rules. I am from Philly and the main reason I was even considering taking one of these pups is because: 1. I want to start with a puppy. 2. Most breeders around me breed "bullies", all the pits weigh well over 100lbs. And this guy does not. 3. If I take one of these pups I know I'd take better care of it than most of the college kids around me do. I think he sells them for about $200

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
In IL and also in your home state of PA I know it is illegal to sell a pup under 8 weeks.

here is the link to the laws:
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovuspuppysaletable.htm

Please don't give money to a BYB who will then just have more reason to keep pumping out these pups. Either find a reputable breeder or a great shelter pup.

Never rush into just getting a pup because it is convenient.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Patch- Wow, I didn't know that! Looks like it's a shelter for me. Good news is I called the guy just now, he does get all the pups their shots until they leave him
If he is giving shots at 4 weeks that is way too young IMO.

Very high risk pups usually don't even get vaccinated until 5 weeks.

Most vets like to do the first set between 6-8 weeks.

Some other info:
A good breeder also will fully worm the pups and get a clean fecal back from the vet before placing pups.

A good breeder does socialization and early training with the pups.

A few rescues to look through:
Chicago, IL: Adoptable Pets: Petfinder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts