Go Pitbull Forums banner

Advice on separation anxiety??

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  ktlove161125 
#1 ·
So I have a 3 month (I believe, he is a rescue pup) pitbull mix. I have been attempting to train him to be on our enclosed deck for when no one is home. It has a cover that shades half the deck all the time. I've been trying to put him out there for like 15 minutes at a time throughout the day to get him use to being out there alone, but he constantly whines to the point where he is yelping and sounds like he is being beaten, just from being alone. I need help to find a way to correct this because soon I will have to leave him for a few ours outside and I dont want him whining like that. I want him to think of it as a good place to hang out in for a few hours, not hell?

He also whines if I leave him in the bedroom, even if it's just while I go use the restroom for a few mintues.

Please help me!

#2 ·
When I am home my dog loves to sit by my side and wants to be where I am as well. I would start by getting your dog used to a crate, its more of an enclosed space and they feel its their own and its not too big so they are uncomfortable.

I will like to ask what kind of a deck? Is it high up? As your pup grows if there is no top on the entire thing he may jump off and fall to the ground, or if its not that high escape and start trouble. Some dogs are also not outside dogs, lol. But since your pup whines everywhere, my guess is that every time he has whined you have gone to hush him up and he wins, now he knows EXACTLY what he needs to do when he whines.

The key is to try and keep him occupied and let him think the crate is a safe place to be so when he is inside its OK. But you have to let him stop whining before you go get him or else he thinks the only way to get out is to whine long enough. What do you do with him now when you are not home?

#3 ·
When I am home my dog loves to sit by my side and wants to be where I am as well. I would start by getting your dog used to a crate, its more of an enclosed space and they feel its their own and its not too big so they are uncomfortable.

I will like to ask what kind of a deck? Is it high up? As your pup grows if there is no top on the entire thing he may jump off and fall to the ground, or if its not that high escape and start trouble. Some dogs are also not outside dogs, lol. But since your pup whines everywhere, my guess is that every time he has whined you have gone to hush him up and he wins, now he knows EXACTLY what he needs to do when he whines.

The key is to try and keep him occupied and let him think the crate is a safe place to be so when he is inside its OK. But you have to let him stop whining before you go get him or else he thinks the only way to get out is to whine long enough. What do you do with him now when you are not home?
I appreciate your quick response!

Well the deck is off the ground, about 4 to 5 stairs and the railing is tall, roughly chest hight. But I dont plan on using the deck forever. It's a temporary solution until I can properly fence off the yard for him, or until he is properly potty trained, then he'll end up staying in the house occasionally.

And I do wait until he stops whining before I go out to him. I try to make sure he is quite for at least 15 seconds before I open the door to him. But thats basically the longest amount of time he is quite until he begins to whine again.

We have attempted crate training, and oh man, I have never heard and animal cry so much. I felt like a horrible person. this is the reason we thought the deck my be a better solution?

And right now, there is always someone at my house because of roomates, so they help what him. But I know in the future that will not always be the case.

#4 ·
Have you tried making the crate a nice, fun place? Try feeding your pup only in the crate, and throwing treats in there and asking pup to "kennel up"..... same thing with toys; throw them in the crate and make it fun (and don't close the door). After a few days of pup thinking the crate does not = hell, you can start closing the door for a few seconds at a time and praising for not screaming/whining.

I'm sorry you and your pup are having a hard time with this. My girl was the same way and now she loves her crate.....but it's taken us 2 or 3 months. Just time and patience.
Good luck with your baby!

#5 ·
Before leaving the puppy alone try exercising with him, pit bulls are naturally very high level energy dogs, and in your case he is a puppy which means even more energy! Taking him for a walk would take some of the energy away, leaving him the a "restful state" in which his mind is calmer, distracted, walks are especially helpful in bonding with dogs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.