Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I'm new to site due to a slight problem. I've got a pb (Blackjack - BJ) who's turned very agressive towards other dogs, his only young, maybe under a year but big & strong. I'm now worried about taking him anywhere. I ended up with him cos my ex suddenly appeared with him one day in pretty bad state, wouldn't and still won't tell me where he came from and since then the ex is now the "not talking to me" ex and I'm left with BJ!!! I've had him a couple of months, think he's wicked!!! Any suggestions?

·
GYPSY PAVING
445 Posts
Hi guys, I'm new to site due to a slight problem. I've got a pb (Blackjack - BJ) who's turned very agressive towards other dogs, his only young, maybe under a year but big & strong. I'm now worried about taking him anywhere. I ended up with him cos my ex suddenly appeared with him one day in pretty bad state, wouldn't and still won't tell me where he came from and since then the ex is now the "not talking to me" ex and I'm left with BJ!!! I've had him a couple of months, think he's wicked!!! Any suggestions?
Thats Normal behavoir for a American Pitbull if thats what he is. At almost a yr your not going to take the NORMAL disposition Out of him. It's not about Teaching a Old Dog New Tricks, it's called trying to make a Tazmanian Devil a rabbit. The Best thing i can say is Get a APBT (American Pitbull terrier)book or Read on this forum about DA (Dog Aggresion)
Also Stay away from Other Animals w/him , and keep him contained or you can be in a HOOPLA of Trouble and He will have a DEATH sentance from your County Dog Control !
As far as the EX, IDK,But he sounds like a Jerk for Abandoning his PET ! Get a trainer, read, and Have BJ as a Best freind, and forget the EX. hahahaha.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
You probably won't be able to make him any less DA but there are things you can do to walk your dog safely with out him trying to fight. Teaching your dog "leave it" will be a great way to start working with him. Try to keep his focus on you and not on other dogs. Some of the dogs you see in shows are highly DA but you'd never know since they stand so still and only pay attention to their owners.

·
Registered
6,167 Posts
You probably won't be able to make him any less DA but there are things you can do to walk your dog safely with out him trying to fight. Teaching your dog "leave it" will be a great way to start working with him. Try to keep his focus on you and not on other dogs. Some of the dogs you see in shows are highly DA but you'd never know since they stand so still and only pay attention to their owners.
:goodpost:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have trouble like that if i try to take mine on a WALK. But if I RUN with him, at a decent pace, then he cant get his head down in the dirt, and he stops snooping around. If i get him in "jog mode" and i myself ignore and dont look at other dogs, then he also ignores them.

I found that he tenses up when i do, He knows if im preparing to hold him back, and he gets more tense. as we are jogging, and we see another dog across the street, i give him slight tugs sidways (not pulling back) and make him stay slack on the leash. If the leash has constant tension, then he stays tense and gets worse and worse.

if a dog approaches, i scoop him up (im not sure if you could do that).

good luck, and watch "dog whisperer" marathons on Nat Geo channel !

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
"leave it" is a great command. I can walk as slow as I want with my dogs and they stay right at my side. I can't stand it when they pull. We had a huge American Bulldog and that boy was so hard for me to walk sometimes. I wish Ryan would have taught him "heel" and "leave it"

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys, I'll try all of the above!!!! By the Way the "EX" is a "She"!!! All that bleeding heart compassion!!!! Still BJ cool, will let you know how I get on :)

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
When I started training Dosia with distractions I would go to the park with my sister and her dog, they both got along. She would make her dog sit or stay in one spot and I would walk Dosia around him. When he would pull and try to play with the other dog I tell him leave it and pull him back to my side. Every time we walked by him and he stayed by my side when given the command he got a piece of a hot dog. It didn't take him very long to get it and now he is excellent on walks and couldn't care less about barking dogs slamming into their fences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.