Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where to post...I've had my pitbull for a year now. Everyone tells me she looks to skinny but she eats so good. I can see her spine and ribs. Should I look into bulking up?

·
Registered
55 Posts
People aren't used to seeing a dog that is the proper weight. A couple more pounds wouldnt be terrible, but if she eats enough for her activity level, I'd ignore the people. I get those comments a lot. My collie was ideal and everyone thought she was too skinny. My staffy is almost to ideal pet condition. He was overweight when we got him, so we've been working on that. He eats 1cup high protein/cal kibble with a soft boiled egg or some raw meat 2x a day. He gets treats and puzzle toys during the day, so that's extra cals he works for.
Your dog looks to be of a smaller build than mine, so she shouldn't be bulky.
I'll include a pic of my Gimlet doing his favorite activity, walking on the treadmill, even though his stripes make it hard to see his condition. As a side note, her nails are super long and look like they're putting a lot of stress on her feet.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
People aren't used to seeing a dog that is the proper weight. A couple more pounds wouldnt be terrible, but if she eats enough for her activity level, I'd ignore the people. I get those comments a lot. My collie was ideal and everyone thought she was too skinny. My staffy is almost to ideal pet condition. He was overweight when we got him, so we've been working on that. He eats 1cup high protein/cal kibble with a soft boiled egg or some raw meat 2x a day. He gets treats and puzzle toys during the day, so that's extra cals he works for.
Your dog looks to be of a smaller build than mine, so she shouldn't be bulky.
I'll include a pic of my Gimlet doing his favorite activity, walking on the treadmill, even though his stripes make it hard to see his condition. As a side note, her nails are super long and look like they're putting a lot of stress on her feet.

Thank you I do cut her nails but I'm so afraid to hurt her so I don't think I go down far enough, it is a work in process. She used to get them done at the groomer buy they have not been open yet.. Your dog is beautiful 😍

·
Registered
55 Posts
Thank you I do cut her nails but I'm so afraid to hurt her so I don't think I go down far enough, it is a work in process. She used to get them done at the groomer buy they have not been open yet.. Your dog is beautiful
Thankyou! I love your dogs ears big ears are so cute. I'm a groomer so her nails look easy to me, but I know it's hard for regular owners. I would recommend to "confetti" her nails if she'll let you. That way you can shave tiny bits off the nail until you get close to the kwik. I got my boy used to the dremel which makes it easier. Should you get her kwik, either keep styptic powder on hand or use cornstarch.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Thankyou! I love your dogs ears big ears are so cute. I'm a groomer so her nails look easy to me, but I know it's hard for regular owners. I would recommend to "confetti" her nails if she'll let you. That way you can shave tiny bits off the nail until you get close to the kwik. I got my boy used to the dremel which makes it easier. Should you get her kwik, either keep styptic powder on hand or use cornstarch.

I agree....i don't see the sense in mutilating a dogs ears...some may find cutting the ears makes the dog look more aggressive and cool but don't expect me to support that silly trend...

Sent from my LG-K520 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
OP, you could get more muscle coverage over the ribs with some flirt pole and spring pole activities. She does not look too skinny, but adding muscle to that area will reduce the comments for you.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Johnoosthuizen- it's not anymore mutilation then circumcising or piercing a baby's ears or spay and neuter for that matter. As long as it's done by a vet.
In the show community in many cases cropping is standard and/or shows better. I have a Shorty Bull, it is in the breed standard to have cropped ears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts