Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
:( I am in a bad spot, and i need advice or some opinions and see if anyone has ever gone through this.. We have our boy, hes 3,blue, and fixed. My hubby is in the army and we got orders to hawaii. We can't take him over there because it would be an arm and a leg to get a pet service to fly him. SO i think we are going to have to give him away. I was wondering if anyone knew any shelters or something i can do or take him... My heart is really breaking right now i do not want to do this but we can't afford to fly him there.. so please, any advice or opinions are very appreciated! I also forgot to add he has people issues he has to warm up to you, BUT once he gets to know a person he is their best friend. And he loves them...

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
:( I am in a bad spot, and i need advice or some opinions and see if anyone has ever gone through this.. We have our boy, hes 3,blue, and fixed. My hubby is in the army and we got orders to hawaii. We can't take him over there because it would be an arm and a leg to get a pet service to fly him. SO i think we are going to have to give him away. I was wondering if anyone knew any shelters or something i can do or take him... My heart is really breaking right now i do not want to do this but we can't afford to fly him there.. so please, any advice or opinions are very appreciated!
that is aweful!! i couldnt imagine leaving one of my babies behind!! i wouldnt recommend any shelter for a APBT.. it never ends up good unless they get lucky enough to be adopted.. please try to find him a home before you turn to a shelter!! :(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think the same way!! We have tried asking all of our friends that know him and he knows them and they all say no.. i dont know what to do.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
:( I am in a bad spot, and i need advice or some opinions and see if anyone has ever gone through this.. We have our boy, hes 3,blue, and fixed. My hubby is in the army and we got orders to hawaii. We can't take him over there because it would be an arm and a leg to get a pet service to fly him. SO i think we are going to have to give him away. I was wondering if anyone knew any shelters or something i can do or take him... My heart is really breaking right now i do not want to do this but we can't afford to fly him there.. so please, any advice or opinions are very appreciated!
The Army can't help you and your husband bring your dog with you? Such a shame that these men and women sign up to protect and serve and your animals have to get left behind due to a financial hardship. How much are we talking to bring a dog there and where are you all located? I would suggest you look for a breed specific rescue. Most of them find foster homes and are no kill shelters. That would be your best bet. Would anyone in your family be willing to care for him until you come up with the money to transport him to hawaii?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
he has people issues though.. he would need a strong person who won't back down and be afraid of him..but once he gets past that testing phase he loves the person..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i asked the pet transporting people for and estimate and they said a couple thousand. I dont think the army can help us.. we have looked at all the airlines and they wont fly him because of either his weight or his breed. SO we are screwed. I could look for breed specific shelter but here in tx it seems like its few and far.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
So he is human aggressive? Is that what you mean by issues

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
yes. he is for a little bit. then he warms up and then its all good...i live in san antonio. He's a great dog, but he needs strong person. it usually takes him a few days to get used to people. My father it took 20 mins because he didn't let duke scare him.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
I hate to say euthanize but a pit should not show human aggression at all and is a huge fault for this breed. I don't think finding him a new home is going to do him any good. That is a huge liability and an accident waiting to happen JMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i also think that as well. but putting him down is my LAST resort. I dont know why he has aggression like that. He has been with us his whole life and nothing bad has ever happened to him (that i know of) i think its that he is protective and tries to scare people away and see i he can dominate by scaring them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
yeah depending on what exactly you mean by human aggresive. Growling,barking,bitting,or what? i was thinking of my mom but if he is human aggesive than no way am i giving him to my mom. but i can ask around. how long till you leave?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
he will bark and try and bite but it only last for a few days.It takes a few days for him to warm up to people. I think he would do better with a male.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
If he can't stay with you all then I think realistically speaking euthanizing maybe your only option. You are going to find a very hard time placing a dog like him and you just can't let anybody take him.

Reactions: pitbullmamanatl

·
Registered
73 Posts
If he can't stay with you all then I think realistically speaking euthanizing maybe your only option. You are going to find a very hard time placing a dog like him and you just can't let anybody take him.
agreed, but i will try. i believe someone might be able to rehabilitate him though.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think he can be too... but i am saying, it takes a little while for him go get used to new people..but once he does he will never leave your side.. i have seen it plenty of times..

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
HA is not sound breed type. Does he try to full on bite or is he just nipping? Unwarranted HA should not be tolerated, especially in a pet. There are ways around the flying restrictions you just have to be creative. I talked to American Airlines 2 weeks ago and they told me they will ship 2 70lb American Bullies for 170$ each, each way. If you can't find a way for him to stay with you I don't recommend re-homing him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
he is 103 lbs..lol we have looked at every airline...i dont know any other way around a 103 lb dog...its tough. I HATE this. i wish we had a friend that had tons of land that would be able to take him.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts