Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have been having a problem with my 5 year old sharpie/pit bull mix. for about the past month or so he refuses to go outside to go to the bathroom after 6pm. He won't go inside, he just refuses to go outside when it starts to get dark unless I drag him on a leash...which at 85lbs is no easy task. :) Besides being afraid of the dark, he is now always hiding in our downstairs guest bathroom or behind the living room chairs. He used to hide in the bathroom when it was thunder storming out, but now it's all the time. There was nothing that I can think of - like a loud noise or something that would make him nervous to go out & it's only when it's dark out. During the morning he is fine. I know this is a long post but I am looking for suggestions because it is getting worse & he is getting more neurotic. He's not a puppy so I'm not sure what to do. Thanks for your suggestions! :)

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Maybe something has scared him or hurt him while he was out in the previous months, he may just need some reassurance it is ok outside in the dark.

I guess im not much help though Im also scared of the dark haha

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
he wasnt scared before this has just happened out of the blue? do you remember anything that happened or maybe something that has changed recently ? people living in the home? did you move? add another pet? anything? ID look for a trainer near you who has experience with fear, as fear can change to aggression { fear aggression} id want to nip it in the butt now before it turns to that , message performance kennel she's a trainer on here and may be able to help you more or even recommend a trainer in your area if she knows of any. Sorry I dont have much to offer never dealt with a grown dog with fear like this only pups and that was a socializing fix , this sounds like there is more to it. best of luck though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts