Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and i rescued a 1.5 - 2 yo. Female Pit this past november, i also have 2 other dogs in the house and the 3 get along very well, the pit and my terrier/ pincher mix are inseparable! Last friday on the 29th of january we took her in to be spayed and strangely starting this past wednesday she has these agressive outbursts before bed time againt the other dog (growling, showing teeth, and lunging wanting to bite) but this behavior does not last long, and in the short time i have had her, i have never had any problems like this up until she was fixed. Is this a normal behavior after being spayed? Has anyone else experianced this? If so is this a long lasting trait? Or does it go away once she has healed and hormones balance themselves back out. Any help on this is greatly apreciated. Thank you

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
Well at 2 they reach maturity. That's when the traits start up. Could be less tolerant due to discomfort, could be hormones balancing out too. Just be watchfull and be aware of the triggers and avoid them. Hopefully it will come to an end. When a new rescue dog is introduced into the home, it takes 4 months for them to come around amd open up according to their own temperament and find their place in the pack. Always keep in mind that it is a pit bull breed and they do tend to be dog aggressive. The general number 1 rule is to never trust these dogs not to fight. It's what the originals were bred for and they really enjoy it.

·
Banned
134 Posts
Last friday on the 29th of january we took her in to be spayed and strangely starting this past wednesday she has these agressive outbursts before bed time againt the other dog (growling, showing teeth, and lunging wanting to bite) but this behavior does not last long, and in the short time i have had her, i have never had any problems like this up until she was fixed. Is this a normal behavior after being spayed? Has anyone else experianced this? If so is this a long lasting trait? Or does it go away once she has healed and hormones balance themselves back out. Any help on this is greatly apreciated. Thank you
Could she be sore and maybe a bit cranky? No, I don't believe it's normal for a dog to be aggressive after a spay, and it's been so short a time after the spay that I wonder if she's just sore and doesn't want the others near her?

Or is she getting jealous of the bed/bedroom? You say the outbursts are around bed time.

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I also think she's probably just feeling uncomfortable and getting cranky, but she's also reaching maturity and this is often the time that that bull breeds may start to display some less than friendly behaviours towards other dogs.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
Well at 2 they reach maturity. That's when the traits start up. Could be less tolerant due to discomfort, could be hormones balancing out too. Just be watchfull and be aware of the triggers and avoid them. Hopefully it will come to an end. When a new rescue dog is introduced into the home, it takes 4 months for them to come around amd open up according to their own temperament and find their place in the pack. Always keep in mind that it is a pit bull breed and they do tend to be dog aggressive. The general number 1 rule is to never trust these dogs not to fight. It's what the originals were bred for and they really enjoy it.
:goodpost:

Always expect a bulldog to fight. Even if they get along now, you should still keep a watchful eye on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts