Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a nother thing about my dog is he is very dog on dog agressive witch i dont care cuz i dont have another dog, but her will sometimes get aggitatted with my kids, and snap at them, but then the most of the time he is playing and is a cuddle bug with them. how do i get him to know that it is bad and not to do it anymore without spanking him, cus i dont hit my dog at all i just got him traind by giving out treats and such, what do i do?

·
Registered
162 Posts
dude i am not an expert and hopefully someone will jump in and give some more proper advise but when he snaps let him that its not ok correct him on the spot and then put him away for bit if you have crate put him there so that he gets that its not ok because even though snapping is not bitting it can turn into that fast, and thats with any dog not only pits. Good luck

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
If he's snapping being mean, put him down. If he's too excited, you may have to school him a bit. How old is he?

·
Registered
88 Posts
dude i am not an expert and hopefully someone will jump in and give some more proper advise but when he snaps let him that its not ok correct him on the spot and then put him away for bit if you have crate put him there so that he gets that its not ok because even though snapping is not bitting it can turn into that fast, and thats with any dog not only pits. Good luck
Ya just to add a little more give your dog your stop command and give the dog a chance to respond if he does it again then put him in the crate

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I personally never use the crate as punishment. I want my dogs to enjoy the crate, not dread it. Dogs are not like people or kids they do not understand "time out".

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Were it mine, that dog would be having a Come to Jesus moment. I would have no qualms about using force to correct it because if I can't correct a human-aggressive behavior, the next stop is the last stop for that dog.

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
a nother thing about my dog is he is very dog on dog agressive witch i dont care cuz i dont have another dog, but her will sometimes get aggitatted with my kids, and snap at them, but then the most of the time he is playing and is a cuddle bug with them. how do i get him to know that it is bad and not to do it anymore without spanking him, cus i dont hit my dog at all i just got him traind by giving out treats and such, what do i do?
if he is snapping at the kids this is not good and when he decides to bite one of them he can really do damage. I would never own a pit bull that snaps, growls or is acting slight bit of aggro towards humans. Please keep in mind that if he bites one of your kids they could press the issue of child endangerment and remove the other kids its not worth it.

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
I understand that this behavior needs to end immidately, but we really don't know if he's truely being aggressive or if he's playing. Either way OP make him stop. Time outs in the crate do not teach the dog a lesson.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
RE: aggression

Snapping and human aggression is never a good thing, especially when children are involved. Pits are dedicated companions who strive to please their owners. They are extremely clever, fun, and energetic. When socialized properly, pits bulls and children can have wonderful lives together, with adult supervision; unsupervised children should never be left with a dog of any breed though. The majority of cases involving pit bulls attacking children stem from irresponsible parents who do not keep an eye on the interaction between dog and child. I am not saying you are irresponsible but NEVER trust your dog's actions, especially if he has been snapping at your children.
Watch your child's behavior as well and know when to intervene. My dog lets my son ride him around like a horse and lay all over him but always under my supervision and I intervene if I think Kangol looks a little annoyed. Fact is children can be super annoying to dogs (of all breeds!). I know my 2-year-old can be, although Kangol doesn't show his aggravation, I don't let it get to that point. Additionally, it would be a good idea to ask your vet what he thinks; he might be able to recommend an aggression therapist if he thinks one is needed.:angel:

·
Banned
1,616 Posts
I understand that this behavior needs to end immidately, but we really don't know if he's truely being aggressive or if he's playing. Either way OP make him stop. Time outs in the crate do not teach the dog a lesson.
Hmm your right the dog could be mouthy guess we wont know really maybe a video of him interacting with the kids.

to the OP is he snapping as in agitated and biting but getting air or is he kinda using them as a chew toy and just being mouthy?

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
There is a point to that. Terra still doesn't always know appropriate behavior with her mouth, and will get hyped up in play and you might catch a stray tooth. But I always make sure she knows what she did and that I aint havin' that nonsense. I still consider them semi-accidental bites because she is not biting with intent to do harm, just being a retard. Still, though, I make sure my dogs understand the serious unpleasantness that will result if I ever feel their teeth on my skin.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I am with indigo if the dog is turning on your kids and nipping at them when he is not playing or saying enough then you may have to put him down. Or find someone else, you dont want your kids gettin hurt now do you?

Think about it if you know the dog is getting mean toward them and one day the dog snaps your child could at worse be dead. Not bashing pitbulls or any type of dog its just a fact of life.

Now if the dog is playing maybe a spray bottle would teach him to stop

one thing you need to teach you kids right NOW it to have them get into a fetal position if your dog is being more or playing to rough. All kids must learn this I beleave. Also to teach them not to yell, scream, or make any noise if they are in the position. Any noise coming from them with egg the dog on even more. If the child doesnt move or make a sound the dog will most likely walk away because (A) they are not bothering him (b)its stopping their prey drive because they arent making any noise (C) well its just like B...its no fun if something is not putting up a struggle....
I believe all kids must learn this before they get near any dog.

Also to show a healthy respect for the kids teach the dog commands like sit and down. Every so offent maybe have the kid give the commands and give the treat to the kid and let the kid give it to the dog.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
my dog is only 11 months i have had him since he was 5 months old and he is realy good when it comes time to play with them, he is not nuterd i dont know if that makes a diffrence or not, i has only done it twice and sence i sent his but outside the last time he hasent done it sence, but other then that he is realy good with my kids, sleeps with them and everything. so i guess just work with him, he is not eggresive tword them at all just those two times. so i guess i will see what i can do. but dose nutering have anything to do with it, if i got him nuterd would that help?

·
Registered
7 Posts
If your dog is nipping/biting ect you CANNOT let that slide. As you know these dogs are extremley powrful and human flesh is rather weak. There is no second chances for faces to grow back. That being said it sounds like your dog is generally well behaved besides a few incidents. As you have had warnings from your dog now you need to make sure you never have the dog and the kids unsupervised at ANY time. Over excitement can have the same results as aggression if unchecked . I really would look into an animal behaviour expert or at least a very experienced trainer to give you an evaluation and to help you on the right path so your family and your dog can live happily together for all their natural lives :)

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
but dose nutering have anything to do with it, if i got him nuterd would that help?
Absolutely! It is something responsible pet owners should do. Your dog will thank you and live a much longer and healthier life.
http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomelesspets/pdf/juvenilespayneuter.pdf
Please read that article at the above link.
Neutering reduces testosterone and reducing that will reduce sexual tension and frustration. I did not have Kangol fixed until he was three because he never showed aggression towards people and he had NEVER humped anyone or anything EVER. Therefore, I figured why do it if he is such a chill dog. THEN... the baby came! Once I quit being so hard headed and listened to my vet and researched, I realized it needed to be done-- he had no use for those things; they got in the way during his tug-o-war action and tree climbing. My vet ALWAYS encouraged me to do so and I wish I had done it much sooner but I am 100% spay/neuter all dogs, unless of course in the hands of a responsible breeder or handler for show purposes. TRUST ME he doesn't need them and you will be glad you did!

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Neutering a dog does not stop aggression. It has other good benefits though. Keep a close eye on him when your kids are playing with him. Every time he snaps at them he should be corrected. It's good he hasn't done it since. If he continues or escaletes the behavior he should be put to sleep.

Also he could be hurt. Did they grab a certain part of his body? If he has never done it before and he just started maybe he is hurt? Take him to the vet for tests. It is important that any physical ailments are corrected with appropriate medication ASAP. That way he won't think every time they play they hurt him. That could be hard to correct later.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Snapping and human aggression is never a good thing, especially when children are involved. Pits are dedicated companions who strive to please their owners. They are extremely clever, fun, and energetic. When socialized properly, pits bulls and children can have wonderful lives together, with adult supervision; unsupervised children should never be left with a dog of any breed though. The majority of cases involving pit bulls attacking children stem from irresponsible parents who do not keep an eye on the interaction between dog and child. I am not saying you are irresponsible but NEVER trust your dog's actions, especially if he has been snapping at your children.
Watch your child's behavior as well and know when to intervene. My dog lets my son ride him around like a horse and lay all over him but always under my supervision and I intervene if I think Kangol looks a little annoyed. Fact is children can be super annoying to dogs (of all breeds!). I know my 2-year-old can be, although Kangol doesn't show his aggravation, I don't let it get to that point. Additionally, it would be a good idea to ask your vet what he thinks; he might be able to recommend an aggression therapist if he thinks one is needed.:angel:
Very good!

·
Registered
798 Posts
my vote still is to teach the kids as well as the dog. If your kids are at a young age teach them not to pull on the dogs ears, and tail. Also the trick I talked about in my post before this one. Where they get into a fetal position and dont make a sound. Also teaching the dog when you say enough playing it means enough.
also NEVER leave your kids and a dog alone... NEVER not even to go to the bath room, or to grab something. Call your dog to you and have him by your side when you are exiting a room. After training your dog to come when you say so, you should only have to say it and walk out and he should follow. Though that does take some training to get that far. It only takes seconds for something to happen and with these being powerful dogs it sometimes does spell trouble. Add onto the fact he has already had show aggresion so you have to be more alert.

Also Neutering doesnt solve all your problems[/COLOR] . Now if your just going to have him as a house pet and are not looking to show or breed then yes neutering could be a good idea. Oh say if a female goes into heat down the road he is going to try everything in his will to get to her.

Indigos dogs stop eating and pase along the fencing and she can hardly get them away from it. God for bid if she ever tought them how to jump high enough they would be gone

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thank you for all of you help then i think i will get him nutered and i am working on his behavior right now, but ya he is a very good dog and i dont leave him unsupervised with my kids ever, i just dont do that. but agin thank you for your help.

·
Registered
146 Posts
i personally wouldnt own a strong adult dog that snapped at my children. Your not gonna like what im saying but i would rehome him with a house with no kids/dogs.

did u fix him at all? that might help the issue and if u ever play to rehome then id DEFFINATELLY fix him before you do (to avoid byb)

P.S. dont let him play with the kids unsupervised!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts