Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I first want to say thank you in advance for reading this I will try to get to the point fast and not draw this out. we have a 1 year 10 month old spayed female. as of lately she has been rather vocal and protective when people she does not know walk past. Like when I take her for a walk at the park she follows all commands and sits down as trained to let people walk by us so they do not feel threatened ( only because of the stigma on the breed did I start this) but when my wife and I both take her for a walk she wants to do nothing but be very vocal growl and bark and want to rush towards the people no matter what command is given until I stand in front of her what could be causing her to act like this when she did not before?
thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
5,356 Posts
First, welcome to GoPitBull twmillsaps. Of course this is only my opinion, my guess is that the dog feels the need to be protective when your wife is walking with you. She (your dog), might be picking up on your wife's emotions of being nervous when your dog is around other people or other dogs and that can be the cause of anxiety for the dog. If your wife is worried about the dog being confrontational the dog will pick it up and feel it has to go into protect mode by growling, barking, pulling towards people or dogs, jumping up etc.
Next time you and your wife go for a walk with the dog have your wife clear her head of concern and not even pay attention to your dog and surroundings, let you do that. Maybe suggest some earbuds and relaxing music so she is just in her own zone. You handle the dog the same as if it was just you walking her. See if after a few try's of doing this the dogs anxiety level drops and she listens to your commands like when you are by yourself.
Best of luck and let us know how things go.

ps. what is your dogs name? She has such a sweet face and a beautiful brindle mask.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thank you for the response her name is Khloe. The funny thing is I’m more nervous about her around other people than my wife is my wife tends to think it’s because of her medical issues she says call we can sense them and is over compensating as far as protection goes please call me and because of those medical issues in her being “weaker than normal” she has had a surgery in her foot that did. It correct the issue we just found out she has tears in tendons on her shoulder and back and nerve damage in her back.I just hate to think we can not take walks all together because of Khloe’s actions but we will give that a try
thank you again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts