Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys. My 6 month old Pitbull who was well socialized from a young age with other dogs and people now gets aggressive whenever I'm walking him on the lead and he sees or hears another dog. My real problem is his aggression turns to me from holding back from his target and he gets pretty violent. How do I deal with this. I'm reluctant to walking him

·
Super Moderator
4,575 Posts
Your best bet is going to be to seek out a professional trainer, preferably one who specializes in bull breeds. Dog aggression is genetic and while it can't be trained out, you can train the dog to leave it and ignore.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi. I agree with the previous advice about working with someone experience with bull breeds. My dog appeared very aggressive on leash but for him it was some pretty severe frustration with leash restraint. Whether you have actual aggression or a problem similar to mine, someone who understands the drives you are dealing with, the range of genetic variation in bull breed dogs and how to harness those is a good bet. I ended up skyping with a guy named Jay Jack out of Portland, Maine even though I am out in Colorado. His company is Next Level Dogs if you want to seek him out.

·
Registered
155 Posts
all the above are good advises. I would only add that when you are walking with him, you should remain calm, cool, not nervous at all, if you fall into those mind states your dog will sense it and it might trigger his behavior. Not only the dog needs training, we do also needs to be trained :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it real aggression or is he wanting to
play with the other dogs or protecting you. I know you need to be safe then sorry but have you considered showing him who’s boss and not let him take advantage of you Pitts are very smart and need a dominant person

1 - 7 of 7 Posts