Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have "inherited" a two year old unspayed female pitbull. She has repeatedly attacked my older dog. Will spaying her help end the aggression and the attacks. The vet bills are starting to rack up. I have them seperated now, but I don't want to live like this, with gates up all over my house and to have the animals seperated. I would like to be able to have them in the same room or be able to take them on walks together. Right now this just is not an option. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Most likely you wont be able to. Dog aggression {DA} is very common in this breed. Big reason people should research a breed before they bring them in there homes. If you use the search button at the top look up dog aggression and there are many threads that explain it and how to deal with it. Best bet is to get a crate if you dont already and work out a crate rotate system. You can use dog runs, a secure back yard, crates, to seperate them. Do not use seperate bedrooms to seperate by only shutting doors, many dogs have chewed through walls and doors to get out. make sure you have a proper set up to seperate them. At this point when there have already been issues I would NEVER risk them together again , no walking together { last thing you need is for this to happen in public or where you cant seperate them because you have them both on a leash in close quarters together.

·
Good with tools
9,791 Posts
you need a good crate, babygates wont do it. crate and rotate is easy to do and will save your dogs life. the unspayed pitbull is lucky you took her and lucky to be alive so she wont mind being crated. dont let your feelings deter you from being responsible and keeping the dogs secure. once you and the other occupants of the house get used to it, you will be able to live with out fear of the vet bills lol

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
You might eventually get to walk them together, but each has to have their own handler. Even well mannered dogs should not be walked in groups IMO too many off leash dogs that could rush you and too many things to control. Crate and rotate is the way to go. With work and training YOU MAY be able to manage the aggression, but you will never ever be able to leave them alone together, ever. Even if they do end up tolerating each other. Look for a good behaviorist, love both the dogs, keep them safe and separate and save on the vet bills and maybe one of their lives.

Now I will also say that I have known dogs to not like other dogs who are spayed and they are not. I know when I got my boy neutered he was able to focus a lot better when I was training him and working with him. He will still not tolerate any dog coming at us when they are off leash and he is on a leash though, I work with him to listen and do my best to try to avoid the situation entirely. I am NOT saying DA will go away, just that spaying COULD help but its is not a guarantee by any means.

How long have you had the dog? and how long did you wait before trying to introduce them?

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D I think they've covered the question.. lol.. wed luv to see pics of your two!!

·
APBT!
9,592 Posts
As was previously stated, you just need to keep them separate. I'm curious to know, also, how long have you had this new girl, and how long did you wait to try and introduce her to your older dog? Contrary to popular belief, spaying/neutering doesn't change a dog as far as being hyper, and most times doesn't affect the level of aggression coursing through their system. As Ames stated, it MAY help, but it's not guaranteed. It is wise to go ahead and get her spayed anyway, though; especially if you don't have registration papers from a registry and plan on showing her. Dog Aggression can be worked and dealt with, perhaps the best way being just to keep her separate from other dogs. If you don't feel confident you can protect these two dogs from further fights, then you should seek out another option. "Pit bulls" are not meant to have dog friends, though several of us do maintain multi-dog homes and can get our dogs to behave themselves, as desired. This usually comes from being an experienced owner in this breed, and I do not recommend you trying it if you're not experienced with the breed. Best of luck to you and I hope you can get things worked out.

·
Registered
82 Posts
To give you a bit of hope, I have heard of situations where it did help and the owners had no issues after having the female spayed, HOWEVER in those situations they were not pitbulls

I would go with what the others have said, though if you lucky there might be a ray of light :) wish you the best

1 - 7 of 7 Posts