Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There will be a lot of changes coming to my family in the near future. I'm going to Korea then once I return, I'll be moving to SoCal or Vegas (still waiting to find out). I'll be putting my house up for rent and will probably rent where ever I go.

I wanted to know if any one has any info or experience with using the CGC with landlords or if its even worth it? I rented before with my black pit Kapone and had to lie about his breed and I really don't want to do that again. In order for me to take the CGC both my dogs have to complete adult lvl1 & 2 before they can do CGC so I want to know if its worth it before I kick out all this cash...about $600 for Cookie & Bear for all the classes.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Why are they having to have $600 in classes to do the CGC?

I don't know if it will help you any more as most people who are not into dogs have no idea what a CGC is so I don't think they will hold it to any value. Your best bet would be finding people that are willing to meet your dog. There are still pit bull friendly people out there.

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The $600 was not just for the CGC it is a package.

It is for Adult lvl 1 class & lvl 2 plus two 60 minute workshops with a personal trainer. This package is $299.95 per dog.

The trainer told me I had to complete the lvl 1 & 2 before she conducts the CGC. Sounds like she was pulling a fast one on me. Thanks for the advice & I will try to get someone that will just do the CGC.

As far as renting I figured having dog insurance and something that certified my dogs as good citizens by pros would kind of show me as a responsible dog owner.

Thanks again for you guys advice

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
The only thing I cant see in getting a CGC is the having to pass a dog aggression part of it..Theres no way! Is there other testing that may now be more efficient or respected, as it has been mentioned the CGC is outdated a bit ??

·
Premium Member
1,900 Posts
The only thing I cant see in getting a CGC is the having to pass a dog aggression part of it..Theres no way! Is there other testing that may now be more efficient or respected, as it has been mentioned the CGC is outdated a bit ??
The CGC is a fine test and not really out dated, but not exactly realistic for a APBT owner. Especially Test 8.

Test 8: Reaction to another dog
This test demonstrates that the dog can behave politely around other dogs. Two handlers and their dogs approach each other from a distance of about 20 feet, stop, shake hands and exchange pleasantries, and continue on for about 10 feet. The dogs should show no more than casual interest in each other. Neither dog should go to the other dog or its handler.

Now as a responsible APBT owner I would NEVER walk up to someone that I didn't know and shake hands with them while walking their dog. Hell, I wouldn't do that with most people and dogs that I know.

There is a better test and one that's geared more towards the ABPT owner and that's the ADBA Safe Dog Program.

Objective: To Evaluate general behavior, steadiness and handlers ability to control dog.

• Test consists of 9 subtests: All nine subtests must be passed to receive pass on test. Each sub
test will be scored as Pass or Fail. Comments from tester may be marked after each subtest as well
as at the end of entire test.

• Encouragement / Correction : Handler may use mild correction, praise and encouragement throughout test. Handler must show control without excessive force and or correction, and maintain calm demeanor during tests.

Behavior Toward Stranger
Sub-Test 1--- Neutral Stranger
A person unfamiliar to the dog calmly approaches the handler, shakes hands, engages in brief conversation with handler and then departs all while ignoring the dog. The dog must remain in sitting position showing only mild interest and curiosity.

Sub-Test 2---Friendly Stranger
Handler will have dog in sitting position, a person unfamiliar to the dog calmly approaches dog and pets dog under chin and moves to body. Dog must remain in sitting position showing only confident, mild curiosity and interest.

Sub-Test 3---Allowing general handling
Handler will have dog in calm standing position. Tester calmly approaches dog and performs general appearance and grooming inspection. Tester will calmly comb or brush dog on neck and body. He will gently inspect feet and nails and examine ears and teeth. Handler may use commands to calm dog during inspection. Dog must remain calm and receptive throughout test.

Handler Control
Sub-Test 4---Walking on lead
Handler will walk dog on loose lead and demonstrate right turn, left turn, and an about turn with at least one stop in between and another at the end. Handler may sit dog at halts. Dogs positioning should leave no doubt that the handler is in control and dog is attentive. The tester may use a pre-plotted course or may direct the handler by giving instructions. Handler may give praise and commands to dog, but no props may be used during test.

Sub-Test 5 ---Sit/Down/Stay on command
Handler starts by giving dog sit command. Dog must respond with little or no prompting. Handler then gives dog down command. Dog must down with little or no resistance. Handler may choose to give stay command from sit or down. Handler will give stay command and walk a minimum of 20 paces from dog, turn and face dog. Handler will return to dog after a minimum 30-second pause. Dog must remain where placed until tester instructs handler to release dog.

Sub-Test 6---Coming when called
Handler will place dog in sit or down-stay and walk 20 paces and turn to face dog. Handler will then call dog to come. Dog must remain where placed until called, then come straight to handler when called. Handler may use encouragement to get dog to come.

Steadiness Thru Distraction
Sub-Test 7---Walking thru a crowd
Handler will walk dog on loose lead through a crowd of at least five people. At least two people in crowd will have distractions such as twirling umbrella, bouncing ball, metal bucket with rocks, noise makers, etc. Handler must pass within 4 feet of all members of crowd. Dog may show interest and curiosity but must remain calm and confident enough to continue to follow handler. Handler must show control of dog without excessive force throughout test.

Sub-Test 8---Reaction to another dog
Handler will walk dog on loose lead past at least two other dogs within a minimum of 5 feet. Distraction dogs may be tethered or held on lead by other handlers. Dog may show interest but must remain calm and controllable. Handler will perform one halt with sit within 10 feet of other dog and dog must remain in sit position for a minimum of I minute.

Sub-Test 9---Supervised Separation
Handler will leave leashed dog with tester and go out of sight for a minimum of 3 minutes. Dog need not remain in sit or down, but must remain calm and controllable and show no agitation towards tester.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
It can benefit you and it also can not benefit you, its going to not only vary dog to dog (as Elvisfink pointed out) but also going to vary landlord to landlord..Plus already existing legislation so while it may help theres too many other factors that can play against you regardless if you have a dog with a CGC or not..

For a landlord that may know a little bit about dogs, meeting the dog with a great first impression plus having a CGC will definitely help however not too many people really know a whole lot about dogs not even going into what titles means and how that works. For that matter, hardly anyone even knows what a proper bulldog looks like.

I, personally wouldn't bother unless you found a great place and it helped getting in. From my experience, carrying pet insurance and good first impressions make more of an impact that anything else.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
There will be a lot of changes coming to my family in the near future. I'm going to Korea then once I return, I'll be moving to SoCal or Vegas (still waiting to find out). I'll be putting my house up for rent and will probably rent where ever I go.

I wanted to know if any one has any info or experience with using the CGC with landlords or if its even worth it? I rented before with my black pit Kapone and had to lie about his breed and I really don't want to do that again. In order for me to take the CGC both my dogs have to complete adult lvl1 & 2 before they can do CGC so I want to know if its worth it before I kick out all this cash...about $600 for Cookie & Bear for all the classes.
You can train your dogs yourself then find a tester off the AKC website to do the test. You do not have to go to fancy classes unless you need help. 600 dollars is a little extreme, shoot send your dogs here and I will keep then for two weeks and charge you half that ;)

It is worth it but also the safe dog test that Doug was talking about is even better or look for places that off the TT done by different organizations it is a better test than just the CGC. If you dog is polite, can sit, down, stay, and walk on leash without pulling you can pass the ADBA safe dog, the TT, and the CGC.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You can take the test by itself, you don't necessarily have to take a class to go with it, either.
The CGC is a fine test and not really out dated, but not exactly realistic for a APBT owner. Especially Test 8.

Steadiness Thru Distraction
Sub-Test 7---Walking thru a crowd
Handler will walk dog on loose lead through a crowd of at least five people. At least two people in crowd will have distractions such as twirling umbrella, bouncing ball, metal bucket with rocks, noise makers, etc. Handler must pass within 4 feet of all members of crowd. Dog may show interest and curiosity but must remain calm and confident enough to continue to follow handler. Handler must show control of dog without excessive force throughout test.

Sub-Test 8---Reaction to another dog
Handler will walk dog on loose lead past at least two other dogs within a minimum of 5 feet. Distraction dogs may be tethered or held on lead by other handlers. Dog may show interest but must remain calm and controllable. Handler will perform one halt with sit within 10 feet of other dog and dog must remain in sit position for a minimum of I minute.
I think 7 & 8 will be an issue. 7 I can work on, Halloween is great practice but my female will probably fail 8. My male is still young so he just wants to play.

I'll see if any people are avaiable in the SF Bay area

1 - 11 of 11 Posts