Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i think my pitbull is having a allergic reaction to some hartzs flea and tick shampoo because on the top of his back the skin under his fur is crusty and the hair looks like it is longer than on the rest of the body and is dull. anybody know any good medicated shampoos and any thing to help him

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
You probably didn't rinse out all the shampoo good and his skin got irritated . Go for something more natural or mild. You can even use johnson and johnsons baby shampoo. I use the earth bath products on my dog. Welcome :: earthbath® - totally natural pet care I bought the tea tree oil medicated one.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I don't like usin flea shampoos on the dogs unless there's a bad case of fleas in the house. Mine have such sensitive skin. I only use oatmeal shampoo and bathe about once a month. I've had to use baby lotion on my boy after flea shampoo cuz he dried up and flakes so bad... An allergic reaction would be more like redness, blotches, hives, swelling, excessive scratching, etc. Just sounds like too harsh of shampoo on sensitive skin.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Side note- what are you feeding? And do you give fish oil supplements or have food with fresh omegas in it?
:goodpost: good question! Omegas are necessary for a great coat. Flax seed oil or salmon / fish oils. :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Just FYI Hartz is crap! I have seen dogs die from allergic reactions to their products. There are much better product for flea and tick control, spend the extra money to get a good product. If you have not done anything I would bathe her in dawn dish soap only once to pull everything out of the coat. It may dry the coat out a bit but it will pull anything off that is causing the irritation. Next time you bathe your dog use a good oatmeal shampoo but after this do not bathe them for at least 4 weeks. The more you bathe them the more you dry out the coat.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts