Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening, I am a new pitbull owner his name is Blu, I have a 5 month blue nose pitbull, he is been having skin allergies since he was 2 months, he chews on his paws and scratch like crazy and has small bumps like pimples all over his body .We took him to the vet did mites skin scrapping. Antibiotics, antifungal shampoo and nothing, I change his food I don't know how many times (Blue buffalo chicken, wellness core blue bag (fish),evo fish,
Natural balance lid lamb and rice,instinct limited ingredient fish, now canidae lid fish,) he did well on canidae it make his hair grow back still chew on his paws and scratch less but after about 3 weeks of eating canidae food, his paws got really red he has more bumps under his belly is been very sad about the dog we spend so much money
On vets. Maybe somebody could help me out and point to right direction to help my pup blu.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Have you tried Acana's fish formula? Are you giving any immune boosters like Bovine Colostrum? What are you bathing him in? And do you wipe his feet and belly when he comes in from outside?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No I have not try Acana since is expensive and hard to find it local..I never try any inmute booster and he gets a bath with Davis Benzoyl Peroxide Shampoo since vet told us to use but it did nothing now I use Fresh 'n Clean Oatmeal 'n Baking Soda Shampoo but the same.

·
Super Moderator
5,313 Posts
It's expensive but you could ask your vet for a script of Apoquel (16mg tablets). Start off with two a day for immediate relief and then see if you can get by with one a day. That's what I use for my boy along with herbal supplements, paw washing, fish oil etc.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream food.
Duoxo shampoo or Zymox.
Don't bathe in oatmeal. It's a grain.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Am trying Acana wild atlantic now is been two days. I ask vet last time about Apoquel and he said my dog needs to be at least a year he is now 8 months..I have use Before Davis Maximum (4%) Chlorhexidine Shampoo and Davis Miconazole Shampoo and nothing help maybe cause of the food i was giving him last time. But Hopefully this food helps him. Any more suggestions if anybody had this same issue.. he just seen to chew on his paws to the point he almost has no hair and the paws are very red like is irritated.

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
You can give Benadryl for immediate itch relief. 1mg per pound but might be worth a call to the vet for his/her ok. Benadryl is safe for dogs and can provide some immediate relief.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You can give Benadryl for immediate itch relief. 1mg per pound but might be worth a call to the vet for his/her ok. Benadryl is safe for dogs and can provide some immediate relief.
I just got a call from Chewy.com saying they stop selling Acana. I was giving my blue that for the last year or so. Don't know what to give her next. She has allergies. Any suggestions?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,273 Posts
Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream - another fish based protein grain-free. Cheaper in price but still a decent food

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would my 8 month blue nose take Apoquel for his very bad itchiness or is there something else I could try since vet keep doing skin scrapes keeps coming back negative..

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
Would my 8 month blue nose take Apoquel for his very bad itchiness or is there something else I could try since vet keep doing skin scrapes keeps coming back negative..
If you've just changed kibble, you need to give it some time. You can try benedryl to help with the itching, coconut oil used topically helps as well. Duoxo or zymox shampoos can help too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How long do I need try Acana to know is not working on my dog.. he is been on Acana wild atlantic for 3 weeks now and seems to still chew on his paws and almost no hair on then is been very frustrated for me and my 8 month blue nose pitbull. I have try all kinds of foods, hopefully I will find something to cure his bad itchiness and hair lost.

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
30 days will see the old foods leave his system. Then you should start seeing some relief. You should also be using a 50/50 apple cider vinegar with the mother/water mix to wipe your pup down every time he comes in from outside. Bathe in Duoxo or Zymox shampoo every couple of weeks. ACV and bovine colostrum should help build up his immune system as well if you start adding it to his food. Local bee pollen when added slowly over time can also help build the immune system as well.
Unfortunately given the poor breeding practices and breeding for a recessive color, allergies are pretty common in blue dogs.
I had to switch to a raw diet for my dog. He does well on it, but still has environmental allergies. So there will never be 100% relief. You just have to find the regiment that helps the most.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'm struggling with the same problems with both of my pits. The only thing that works for them is Apoquel but it's over $200 for a month supply plus grain free acana food and I'm at almost $400 a month for 2 pits to have somewhat ok skin.

I took them off the apoquel due to a pay cut at work and I have been trying so many holistic practices and nothing seems to work. I feel awful I feel like a bad parent

Please does anyone have any advice for me? I try children's benedryl to relieve the itchiness but nothing seems to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,586 Posts
See above advice. Also, get a cone on that dog to stop the scratching and licking. Make sure your flea meds are up to date. You can use coconut oil as a topical. Then once the wounds are scabbed over you can use the 50/50 mixture to wipe your dog down when they come inside.
Are you feeding the fish based acana? If not, that's the one you need. What kind of detergent do you use? Try switching to dreft or any other hypoallergenic brand.
You can use adult benedryl. 1mg per lb.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My dog has the same exact issues, I've tried numerous different dogfoods, hundreds of dollars in vet bills, and they just kept giving her steroids. I looked up holistic remedies in hopes of a cheaper/healthier remedy. I saw on one site that giving the dog a water rinse 1-3 days helps remove the allergens from the coat, as well as wiping their feet every time they come inside. I have done this with my dog, as well as adding Fish oil to her food, and her allergies have not completely gone away, but they have significantly reduced. Having a 60lb pitbull and giving them a rinse in the tub every other day is a chore, but its cheaper than hundreds of dollars in vet bills. You don't want to use soap every time you rinse them because it can strip their natural oils in their coat. However I still use hypoallergenic, non oatmeal dog shampoo, every week or so as needed. Some weeks she gets really dirty/smelly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts