Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My baby Thor is about to be 4 months on the 20th, we've had him about a month now. In the 3 weeks of the month that we had him he's gained 7 pounds. He's weighing in now at 29 pounds. I weigh him weekly. When we first got him his previous owners had him and his brother and sisters on Olroy dog food for adults, so when we got him we transitioned him to puppy chow. He's definitely grown taller in the month that we've gotten him, but he doesn't really seem to be filling out in the stomach area. I'm just worried he's too skinny....
Almost 3 months....

Almost 4 months..

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Post a picture. Just because your dog doesn't weigh a certain amount doesn't mean he's skinny. When Cain was a puppy he gain 3 pounds in 3 weeks. He was only 30 lbs by 4 months I think. He weighs about 60-65 now at 1 year old.

Also, when you say puppy chow, are you feeding Purina puppy
Chow? Take a look at the health and nutrition section and the sticky dog food comparison and rating. That thread will help you see some good brands of food and also let you rate your food you're feeding now. If you use a grain free feed, which I highly suggest, it is all life stages so you don't need to worry about feeding the puppy formula.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Post a picture. Just because your dog doesn't weigh a certain amount doesn't mean he's skinny. When Cain was a puppy he gain 3 pounds in 3 weeks. He was only 30 lbs by 4 months I think. He weighs about 60-65 now at 1 year old.

Also, when you say puppy chow, are you feeding Purina puppy
Chow? Take a look at the health and nutrition section and the sticky dog food comparison and rating. That thread will help you see some good brands of food and also let you rate your food you're feeding now. If you use a grain free feed, which I highly suggest, it is all life stages so you don't need to worry about feeding the puppy formula.

Yes, I've been feeding him Purina puppy chow. He has days when he will just eat and eat and eat, and other days when he'll start to slow down. I'm giving him the recommended amount a day. My dad, who has had several Pittys, thinks maybe he's going through a growth spurt and that's why he's all legs right now. I just want to be sure he's on the right track.

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
Purina is not one of the best foods out there and has fillers in it. On the brand we use, it's grain free so I can feed it to my 5 years old, 1 yr old and the 3 ish month puppy. There are a lot of good foods out there that are affordable also. Take a look at the sticky I suggested.

Cain went through a leggy stage when he was a pup. He's kind of going through another one now where he seems to be all legs. Dogs can grow through 2 years old. It's normally up the first year and then fill out the second sometimes third.

·
Premium Member
11,000 Posts
Puppies are usually chubby but get on some better quality kibbles in any case. All dogs are different but your dog doesn't look too skinny IMO

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay thank you all so much. He's the first puppy I've had on my own, so I'm constantly worrying to make sure everything is okay with him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts