Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About what age can you start to leave your dog in the backyard by itself???

·
Premium Member
5,100 Posts
How long are we talking? I don't like leaving my dog out for prolonged periods. Even adult dogs can be destructive when they are bored.

However my main concern for leaving pits outside is theft. I don't want my dog to be stolen.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
mine can go out alone for a few minutes only when im home , I have a secure yard so doesnt matter at what age although young pups i supervise cause they like to eat things and chew. I never leave mine out when im not home and they never go out with another dog unless im out there watching them.

·
SCRATCHIN
1,104 Posts
I never leave my dogs alone in the back yard.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
carriana

Bout an hour, yea theft is a concern and he already destroyed kids toy back there lol

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
i wouldnt do an hour alone alone , especially if he is a chewer the last thing you want is him to get compacted or eat something toxic. if theft is a concern i wouldnt leave him unattended at all , do you have a high fence? is there a gate someone can open and go in ? i have 1 gate on my yard and we padlock it , just more to make sure someone doesnt open it and leave it unlatched. might want to consider doing that as well.

3,968 Posts
i would never leave any of dogs outside alone! iam way to paranoid bout that crapway too much can happen. especially when it comes to toher people being jerk offs! my dogs get outside for hours a day and i am always right out there with em. i remember as a child, every one and their causins left their dogs out alone. now i can't recall the last time i saw any dog left outside alone. even if on leashes in the yard the owners stay on the porch or something. unless you live in a very secluded area, where another house is quite a walk away and you have a fenced in, yard i wouldnt say its wise to leave your dog out alone.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I never leave mine outside alone. He has gotten so used to me being out there he will sit and wait until I walk out the door with him or he won't go.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have chain spots for all of my dogs and they enjoy being outside for an hour or more sun bathing or watching for animals even sleeping. I see nothing wrong with doing but I do not unless the dog is over 8 months(some people do younger) and the weather isn't blistering cold. Though I would not recommend doing it if you do not have a privacy fence, the CORRECT chain set-up and the correct dog house and I would STILL be leery about leaving them out for more than an hour or so and never while you are away from home unless your yard is completely secure.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So does everyone crate their doggs when they are at work all day? My previous two dogs (wolf hybrid and retriver mix) were outside only dogs and never came in the house. Never had any issues; 6'+ fence around the entire back yard. We just got our first bully and he is crated during the day but want to move him outside while we are at work. Yard is completely secure and private. Is theft that big an issue?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
theft is a big issue here and we wouldnt leave our dogs out while we are away/ all of mine are kenneled either in the house or in the garage kennels when we are gone and usually leave one well mannered dog out to roamthe house free. { has to be one we dont worry about chewing or getting into stuff though.

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Theft and tampering are a huge issue for APBTs. These dogs just attract stupidity, whether they do anything to provoke it or not. I would not leave an APBT alone in a fenced yard for a work shift, especially not in an urban or suburban area. My dogs have always been crated while I am away, and I can say the same thing: no issues. I would someday like to have an indoor/outdoor setup for them, but the situation would have to be perfect before I felt secure leaving them alone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't tether or otherwise leave my dog alone in the back yard. I don't worry about theft. Toby will not allow you in the back yard if he doesn't know you. If you did not come in through the front door don't go near my dog. He is NOT HA, he just dont dig folks that have not been introduced properly introduced.

My neighbor has pits too so I don't leave him in backyard unattended. That and while I have a cinder block fence it is not without weaknesses for escape......so I supervise.

·
English Dogge Yard
3,441 Posts
The answer will greatly vary on where you live, crime and having a proper set up. If you have just a privacy fence i wouldn't leave your dog alone at all.. If they discover a weak link in the fence i can bet you anything you'll come home to the dog out of the property. If they see something they want to go after, they will usually find a way.

Now if you live in a fairly low crime area, fairly undeveloped and have a proper chain set up you can leave them out 24/7 if you wanted to.. Just make sure their kennel area is secure to where they can't get out, chain set up sturdy, not too heavy but not weak and there is also a privacy fence that is also checked every now in then to ensure security..

Though i will say leaving these dogs out now in days is fairly risky, with popularity of "APBTs" (aka mutts papered or papers hung as such) you really can't trust leaving your dog out there any more.. At least not in a highly developed area.

Just use some common sense and you'll figure out the best solution to your question.

·
h2o APBTs
842 Posts
I leave my two neutered dogs outside as long as I'm home, when it's nice. I might run to the local store a couple blocks down and leave them out, but any long than that, and they go inside. We have a privacy-fenced yard with a locked gate, and we're running a hot wire 'round the top and bottom in a month, so they don't get the idea to dig under or jump over. We live in a low-crime area, so theft isn't a problem. Indie, b/c she's pure and intact, does not get left out if I'm not there.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
yeah It depends, you have a secure area with a top and bottom so they cant dig, I could see leaving them in a kennel, but just in a back yard, I say never, you should always be there when your dog is outside.

·
Registered
614 Posts
My dog never goes out alone, around here people will poision a dog if they dont like them and theft is also a problem ,though my dog dosent like strangers so I dont think they could take her but I could be wrong .

·
Registered
816 Posts
you know its funny i would leave my basset hound outside for 5 hours with water and decently protected fence without a thought....now i have the 2 terrors and each day that passes i realize these dogs will not ever be left outside if i am not home.... as far as when im home...sure our backyard is safe....but they will surprise u .

i took this picture of athena digging her way to freedom lol (shes gonna have to dog a lil deeper)

·
End-F0rum-Communism
717 Posts
When im home they are free in my back yard all day. I just make sure to not leave my shoes laying around.

When im not home they go in their kennel. Someone can poison or steal your dog.

At night i leave them out, so they can guard the house, or just be a simple alarm. It sucks when cats roll up lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts