Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok someone gave some advice and stuff i read was the complete opposite of what they said, now i dont know much about raw so im coming to you. is it ok to feed both raw and kibble if they split up the feeding times. like one day raw one day kibble?

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
Yes it IS perfectly fine to do that! (It's what I do actually) :p

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
Yes it is quite ok to feed both a raw and a kibble diet, but also it has to do with the dog and their digestion. Start small and slowly, and pay attention to your own dog :)

·
Premium Member
1,905 Posts
I have heard that some dogs can have digestive issues because raw and kibble are digested at different speeds. I know a few people that had to pick one or the other as their dog's tummy couldn't settle while on both. That said, I also know many people who successfully feed both! Probably up to the individual dog. I give raw chicken and bone-in beef chunks as treats to my kibble-fed dogs with no problem.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok thanks guy, that cleared up a lot there is so many different things on the internet its hard to know what to believe

·
Banned
189 Posts
I have heard that some dogs can have digestive issues because raw and kibble are digested at different speeds. I know a few people that had to pick one or the other as their dog's tummy couldn't settle while on both. That said, I also know many people who successfully feed both! Probably up to the individual dog. I give raw chicken and bone-in beef chunks as treats to my kibble-fed dogs with no problem.
Same here.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Im sure it varies by dog but there is no benefit to feeding both. Prey and barf raw diets recommend a 24 hour fast before starting them. I know many who do mix but you aren't getting the benefits of feeding raw by feeding supplemental feed. So if it works for your pups belly rock on, but the benefits are lost so it's pretty much a waste of money and giving your dog some good eats :)

Sent from Petguide.com App so please excuses the typos

·
Kelevra
1,733 Posts
For a beginner Raw Feeder, they arent feeding everything they should to allow the vitamins and minerals required as well as the protein vs fat, carb and nutrient levels and general balance of foods. Supplementing a kibble, if the dog can handle it, will allow for growth in the raw feeding while still supplying the dog with the nutrients it needs.
When the raw diet gets to the point where it is beneficial and superior to kibble most will have stopped the kibble by then anyway :)
IMHO

·
Diggin' Deep
5,194 Posts
I find that a mix between raw and kibble (raw fed one day and kibble the next) works well for conditioning. Mine have had zero digestion issues! Otherwise I'd say pick one or the other and then if you pick kibble subsitute 1-2 meals a week with some raw frozen turkey necks, pork necks, meaty ribs, etc. to keep teeth clean.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts