Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got done walking Badger around a local park, and since it is nice out (our weather has just been horrible this Spring), the park was alive with people and a softball game was being played. Well, I mind my own business and just let Badger be a pup, smelling EVERYTHING in sight and acting nuts LOL. Since he's in his cage all day I have to let him see the outside as much as I can, especially on a nice day. OK, on the way out of the park three little girls jump off the swingsets and make a beeline over to us. I'm never afraid that Badger would hurt anyone, but at just under 9 months old, he's still excited easily. Well, I promptly made the decision to stop the girls in their tracks ( I know, all they wanted to do was pet him) and told them that he was a little excited and that maybe some other time they could pet him. They were upset, and I felt bad. Their parents gave me a look as if I just told them that the Easter Bunny was not real and I was some type of jerk! I know d*mn well that if Badger had jumped up on one of the girls and knocked her down, or scratched her I would be apart of the nightly news. I feel bad that as much as I want to socialize Badger, I steered clear of the opportunity. But some things will never mix in my opinion...strange kids and dogs. I know I did the right thing, right?

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
No your not a bad guy. When I took Bogart to pet smart he was really worked up at the end of our visit this lady wanted to approach us with her dog so they could interact. I just don't allow strange dogs to interact with mine I am funny like that. And I simply told the lady he does not do well with other dogs. And she was like Awe they will be ok ... I told her again no. You would think she would appreciate me telling her my dog was DA around strange animals but she persisted to go against my wishes. So I picked Bogart up and put him back in the cart. She gave me the dirtiest look and walked off. But I don't care I know my dog better than anyone and as his owner I deserve that much respect. If badger was worked up to the point he might have jumped on one of kids and hurt them UNINTENTIONALLY he is still a pup so this can happen and they got upset oh well too damn bad.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
nah ya did the right thing, on the rare occassion I walk loki I never let people come up to us he is nuts and although friendly he will jump like you said badger will. I let them run up on my girls I know they can behave with kids. you know your dog and as a parent I never feel bad or angry towards people who turn my kids down, I would rather them be honest if the dog is highly excited and or grouchy its best for them to be turned down. last thing I would want is an injured kid whether its intentional or not on the dogs part.

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
I know exactly how you feel. Something like this happened to me on a walk with Mack Truck. You did the right thing, don't feel bad.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Just as we train our dogs people need to train there kids about the proper way to approach dogs and act around them. From the time my daughter could walk I instilled RESPECT for animals in her. Both towards mine and strangers dogs. I hate when kids run up to my dog and dogs I've had in the past. I had an overly protective cattle dog who had HA mainly towards men but I would never trust him with anyone except me and mine. He was very trained and properly handled by me so nothing ever happened. He totally respected my commands and listened. I had many of kids run up to him and always stopped them in there tracks when approaching. Sometimes the parents would smile and thank me and other times I would get a dirty look but either way my decision and responsibility as an owner always made me feel good for avoiding a situation. I think you did the right thing.........you were being responsible :)

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Totally fine! I always try and socialize my guy too, but I let him take the lead. if people are coming towards us and he stops and looks and tries to go the other way, I steer clear. If he keeps walking and they happen to ask, I usually let them. I hate the ones who charge up and act like they have a right to go to any dog! It also makes me feel bad, but its all for the best, you were right! lol

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ladies, I'm not new to this breed, but I still need to hear some support once in while. I mean the looks in the girls eyes as I, firmly but kindly, said no made me feel like I broke their hearts. The parents looks were even worse, I hate being in that situation you know? I just felt on center stage, and I always want to give the APBT a positive appearance and that I'm not hiding anything. But I want to be cautious as well. At least kids have short memories. I guess I should too:)

·
Original Prankster
13,928 Posts
It's no big deal, :poop: like this happens. In the future your gunna laugh at the looks you get when their kids run up and pet him ;) I had Dosia down at the park and there was a lady pushing a stroller and she had 2 other kids with her. They yelled, "Mommy look at the pretty doggy!!" and came over running. I told Dosia to sit and they came up to pet him. The little girl, probly 3, wrapped her arms around him and gave him a big hug. When the lady noticed he was an APBT, her face went white and she looked like she was gunna pass out. It was so funny. We got Dosia right after our son turned 1 so he knows boundaries with small children and being gentle. I was laughing about her face for hours i think she :poop: her pants :rofl:

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wish I could hug Dosia too:) And if I was God I would give Marley, and ALL the Marleys, a hug and the health they deserve.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just as we train our dogs people need to train there kids about the proper way to approach dogs and act around them. From the time my daughter could walk I instilled RESPECT for animals in her. Both towards mine and strangers dogs.
My parents did the same thing with my sister and I. We were taught to always ask someone if we could pet their dog before walking up to it (never run up to the dog) and to always let the dog sniff your hand first. "Never approach a strange dog, because you never know if it might bite you" is what my mom always said. If a dog owner says that it's not ok for someone to pet their dog, that is a responsible owner, and I give anyone a lot of credit for doing that. If a parent doesn't appreciate a dog owner being honest, I would seriously question their parenting abilities.

·
Premium Member
2,377 Posts
No, mate, you definitely did the right thing here. Like B_N_B and kodiak say, the parents shouldn't let there kids run up to strange dogs. Or people for that matter.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If a parent doesn't appreciate a dog owner being honest, I would seriously question their parenting abilities.
That's what I would think. If I was a mom I would way rather have someone tell my kids it's not a good idea to pet their dog than have someone just tell them its fine and let my kids end up with missing fingers!

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No, mate, you definitely did the right thing here. Like B_N_B and kodiak say, the parents shouldn't let there kids run up to strange dogs. Or people for that matter.
Hey!!! You callin' me strange?:hammer: LOL!! Just jiving:) I appreciate the support.

·
OCD Bullyologist
8,663 Posts
Christian, I totally feel you about the dogs and strange kids! I do the same with Kangol and always have. I just don't want to put him in any situation where he may feel threatened and react. So many people force their dogs to greet other people and children even though the dog may feel some type of way about it and I know how I act when I am forced to be cordial to others. Kangol is awesome with my son and his little friends that he has over to play, but so many other kids in the neighborhood freak out when they see him and act like he is the boogie man and Kangol doesn't like when people are scared of him so I just avoid it all entirely.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What kind of parent lets there kids run up on any strange dog. My 5 year old twins always try to run up to everyones dogs and I have to stop them. Hell, little cute dogs are prone to bit too. You just don't know.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
You did do the right thing, Shorty is really good with meeting new people and little kids doesnt jump at all he just sits there and lets them pet him lol, he has been around a few strange dogs out on walks and has done fine but for the most part we keep to ourselves.

·
Banned
3,357 Posts
You did the right thing. Beia is hyper as all H E double hockey sticks,and has knocked over the majority of the kids in my complex.
Even if they don;t mean any harm,they could harm them on accident. You did what you thought was right,all that matters.

·
Premium Member
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks guys, living alone doesn't always afford me the opportunity to socialize Badger as much as I'd like to, but when I can I prefer to do it under more controlled circumstances. I have absolutely nothing against children for the record:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts