Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

This is my dog Brody. I rescued him when he was 3 months old. Since he was a rescue, we don't have any paperwork on his bloodlines or anything like that. I've tried to do some research, and to me it seems like he's an AmStaff, is this correct? Here he is pictured at 10 months old, just over 80 lbs.

I was also wondering how much I should be feeding him now (based on these pictures). Right now he's on Fromm and he eats 3 cups 2x a day. He gets a pretty good amount of exercise, but from what I've seen 6 cups a day seems a little high (he does weigh 80 lbs though).

Thanks for any feedback!

Kevin

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Over 80 lbs and 6 cups a day is way to high. I feed blue buffalo and for a dog 81-100 lbs it states 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 cups a day. You should cut back even though he doesn't look OVER weight. He is a good looking boy.....I would probably go with more bully in him than anything :) Always hard to know without papers. Welcome to GP!

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
he's very handsome... I would only feed once a day... Depending on what you feed as to how much you need to give him.. He doesn't look overweight but 6 cups is way too much for him... Welcome to GP :D

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
I think very large APBT... You should cut back his food and work him a bit, could trim down alot. But he is very cute!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for the feedback. The reason he has been getting 6 cups is because when Brody was ~3 months the vet told me the general rule of thumb for puppies was 1 cup per 10 lbs (then taper back as they get older). Since then I've cut back a little, but he still eats all of his food and he doesn't look overweight to me, so I figured it would be better to overfeed rather than underfeed while he's still growing. The bag of food says he should get 4 cups a day, should I switch right to 4 or work my way down from 6? He spends about 20 minutes a day on the spring pole, and gets walked 1 mile 2x a day (before feeding). We have a 2 acre fenced in yard which he roams for an hour or two on nice days. I also feed him a supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin, is this necessary?

As far as working him, I was under the impression that 10 months was still a little too young to start him. I'd really like to start him on something, but wasn't sure what a dog with his build would be best suited for? He has very high drive for tug and for prey (he's already left a few dead birds as presents). What would be the best way to start turning him into a working dog?

·
Banned
3,721 Posts
I would feed a cup less split in two servings, he looks good he is not overly overweight so I think a cup less is alright. Every dog is different, my 80 pound Bully eats two cups a day with other goodies, while my first dog he was 65 pounds and he had 4.5 cups and he was skinny as a greyhound so every dog is different. Do your own assesment and visual evaluation, what you want to accomplish is to be able to feel his ribs when he is standing. That is how you know he is good shape and he is not over weight. Some people ghetto condition their dogs by starving them and running the heck out of them. You want to make sure your dog has a skinny torso while maintaning good muscle density.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
this goes to show many vets know NOTHING about feeding dogs and other things but I will not highjack this thread ;)

Based from the pictures I would say Amstaff because he lacks length of upper arm and lacks some angulation in the rear and those are common in amstaffs or AST's. Also his size is really to large to be a APBT but I am sure he is a mix of some sort which adds size.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts