Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it safe to give Gracie Am? She has symptoms of Mastisis and a few puppies have the runs.

She was given a weeks dose for when the vet told me she may have Pyo a few weeks before whelping LOL, but i never used it as I new she didn't have it

·
Registered
11,428 Posts
Drugs That May Or May Not Be Used in Pregnant Dogs

With a few exceptions as noted below, one should avoid using all medications in pregnant and lactating (nursing) dogs. There may be instances in which a medication not recommended for use during pregnancy may need to be used to save the life of the bitch, even though it may potentially harm the fetuses. Always consult with your veterinarian before administering any drug or supplement to a pregnant or nursing dog.
NOTE: This is only a partial listing of drugs that should be avoided in pregnant or nursing dogs. A listing of all such drugs is beyond the scope of this article. If you have concerns regarding a specific drug, type it in the search box above.

Miss APBT It's states on this site medications that can be given to nursing/pregnant dogs that Safety Studies in Dogs Not Available; Consult Your Veterinarian for Amoxicillin. You should call your vet and ask them if it's ok before giving to her.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Sadie! I'll give them a call now :)

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Start hot compressing her breasts now to avoid it getting bad. You can also fill a tub with really warm water and put Epsom salt in it. Have the water level high enough she can stand and be soaking the breasts, do that twice a day and it will help keep things flowing.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start hot compressing her breasts now to avoid it getting bad. You can also fill a tub with really warm water and put Epsom salt in it. Have the water level high enough she can stand and be soaking the breasts, do that twice a day and it will help keep things flowing.
Excellent thanks Lisa, also another question, how do I know she has enough milk her titties aren't that big and the pups are forever hungry, they don't cry in hunger though and they are all growing. I may go buy some goat milk after work to suppliment the smaller ones?

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Weighing the pups everyday helps so you can track if they are gaining weight. I use a digital postal scale I got for about 30 bucks. In the mean time you can supplement with goats milk if you feel they might need more milk. how much are you feeding her and is she drinking water?

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She is getting 3 large feeds a day 1/2 adult 1/2 puppy food. Shes ALWAYS hungry though. And she is drinking quite alot of water. The bigger the pups get the more weight she is loosing.

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
well she is eating and drinking normally then for a lactating bitch. She will get skinny now that she is nursing but that is normal. Your doing everything right and if you want to supplement with goats milk I think that is fine if you have some smaller pups.

·
+ Young buck human puppy
1,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Lisa, No one was lying when they said its hard work raising pups, but im enjoying it, its a great experience.

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
I hope she's better soon. Hang in there!

·
Premium Member
13,373 Posts
Thanks Lisa, No one was lying when they said its hard work raising pups, but im enjoying it, its a great experience.
REALLY! I think people do not understand how hard it is to whelp and raise puppies if something does not go right. Your doing a good job :)

I have a friend who is bottle feeding an entire litter because the bitch got mastitis really bad. I hope your girl does not get to that point keep us updated.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts