Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my dog is lickin her bum a good bit she dosnt have worms the vet said her anal gland needs cleansing, my question is how do i do that or should i go to a vet and how often does that normally have to be done any answers would be appriciated alot thanks

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
you can have your vet do it, I have always done my own dogs, working at a groomer shop helped a lot, lol, I do my guys once every two months, but I am sure it doesn't need to be doen that much, I just feel theris if they are full I release them if not I leave them alone, lol. Good luck

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I heard it depends on the dog and some it happens naturally and others have issues. do you have to do it? My pup is 2 and has never had it done, I dont think. Do you have to do it? or does your dog have a problem that it isnt released naturally and you ahve to do it every 2 months?

·
Forum Manager
4,908 Posts
i HIGHLY advise that if you have not done it before to have your vet do it.
sometimes you can rupture an anal gland if there too full and wont express.

hope this helps

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
I do my own dogs while they're in the tub, because I also work at a grooming place and have seen it done by our spa techs. I asked them to show me how to do it, and I have a fair success ratio. For what that's worth, LOL.

·
Registered
100 Posts
My dog has this often and PETCO does it.and once they have it they usually need a bath because the smell is bad.so when it happens my dog skids her but on rug or concrete she goes to PETCO bath and anal glands is done for under 40 bucks

·
Registered
100 Posts
They say its different with every dog.my pit is white and I know she has it also when she gets yellow stains on the bum bum.people also say it can get really bad if not drained and lead to surgery.but the smell is so potent that once they have it and you encounter it you will know that its that right away

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
40 bucks to express anal glands, holy cow Geo, my vet only charges 8 bucks, not that much but if I had to pay 40 to do it I am glad I can do it myself, lol

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
ahhh ok, lol, still would rather do it myself, saves me money, lol, but I do understand :D

·
Registered
100 Posts
Not me that smell is horrific.the first time I got this done and asked how much it was and they said eight dollars I told them to do it twice lol well worth it .

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
lmaoooo, the smell is gross for sure but taht is why I do it at bath time, goes away with the bubbles :p

1 - 16 of 16 Posts