Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok , I know nothing about this I see posts where people talking about draining anal glands but have NEVER done this to a dog ever even growing up my parents never had this done to our dogs. who does this? a vet or a groomer or do you do it yourself? And why? and how do you know this needs to be done? is it possible for a dog to never need this done? keep meaning to ask my vet about this but one of those things I forget while im there lol , figured Id post and maybe help someone else like me who has no clue lol { hopefully im not alone}

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
most dogs will do it themselves when they make a BM .. other dogs need some aide ..Daisy needs some help sometimes so i do it rather than take her to the vet for it..

you'll know if it needs to be done if you smell a horrible fishy smell coming from their rear..

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how do you know she needs help? lol probably sound so stupid but I have never heard of this until I came to this site lol

·
yea, i'm that guy
2,445 Posts
when Daisy starts licking her butt and i get a scent of the fishiness i know i have to do it for her.. or put her out back and she'll take care of it..

i have a buddy w/ a Pekingese that had to have surgery twice because his anal glands erupted..

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Sometimes they also drag their butts across the ground as well, trying to express it themselves.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so its not uncommon to never of had to do this then? just thought oh no am I horrible and didnt know this had to be done lol , the vet has never mentioned this ever so didnt even think about it lol . { kinda ewww i think id pay the vet to do it if any of mine needed it lol}

·
ACCOUNT CLOSED
5,701 Posts
Helena's usually release on their own.... I can smell an awful smell where she was sitting... and I have to break out the cleaner. I've never had this problem with any other dogs I've owned. And she doesn't show signs that it needs to be done either.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I have never had it done on any of my dogs either. I also thought the same thing as you when I stared hearing people discuss and talk about it on here, lol. My vet said not to worry, if they need it done, you will KNOW they need it done by the smell like others are saying.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts