·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fredericksburg.com - Animal control is right not to adopt out pits

Animal control is right not to adopt out pits

Date published: 7/13/2011

I thank Spotsylvania Animal Control for protecting pit bulls by not releasing them to the public, even though this is surely the hardest thing for shelter staffers ["Ban Pits? No, Ban Irresponsible Owners," July 5].

"Nice" families rarely visit shelters in search of pit bulls, and pit bulls from unknown backgrounds don't always make good family additions. Pit bulls are the breed of choice for dog fighters and thugs who beat, starve, chain, and otherwise abuse them to make them "mean." These people can and do acquire their victims from animal shelters.

Every day, PETA staffers meet pit bulls who have been trapped for years at the ends of heavy chains or in filthy pens with nothing but bare patches of dirt and plastic barrels for shelter. The dogs are often shaking in fear, full of heartworms, emaciated, and scarred all over from fights. They are often aggressive toward other animals and lash out unpredictably because of how badly frustrated they have become.

Bans on breeding or acquiring new pit bulls (provided that such laws grandfather-in registered, well-cared for, spayed and neutered dogs) protect pit bulls from horrendous suffering by helping to prevent them from ending up in the hands of cruel people.

With so many animals being euthanized for lack of good homes, we shouldn't be breeding more dogs of any kind. Pit bulls are bred for profit, neglected, fought, and abused based exclusively on their breed. People who have pit bulls' best interests at heart can agree that providing protections to and regulating these dogs based on their breed is not only fair, but essential.

Teresa Chagrin

Norfolk

Teresa Chagrin is with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.

·
Registered
546 Posts
My feelings on this are that people/families need to become more educated on the breed so that good families do search for them in the adoption process rather than avoid them. Remember all those pics of Michael Vicks dogs with children as therapy dogs??? I almost think people should be background checked before adopting animals... or else they should send these dogs to some sort of rehabilitation center in an area not full of people who they feel will harm them but want to help the breed...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fredericksburg.com - Animal control is right not to adopt out pits

Date published: 7/13/2011

I thank Spotsylvania Animal Control for protecting pit bulls by not releasing them to the public, even though this is surely the hardest thing for shelter staffers ["Ban Pits? No, Ban Irresponsible Owners," July 5].

"Nice" families rarely visit shelters in search of pit bulls, and pit bulls from unknown backgrounds don't always make good family additions. #1 Pit bulls are the breed of choice for dog fighters and thugs who beat, starve, chain, and otherwise abuse them to make them "mean." These people can and do acquire their victims from animal shelters.

Every day, PETA staffers meet pit bulls who have been trapped for years at the ends of heavy chains or in filthy pens with nothing but bare patches of dirt and plastic barrels for shelter. The dogs are often shaking in fear, full of heartworms, emaciated, and scarred all over from fights. They are often aggressive toward other animals and lash out unpredictably because of how badly frustrated they have become. #2

Bans on breeding or acquiring new pit bulls (provided that such laws grandfather-in registered, well-cared for, spayed and neutered dogs) protect pit bulls from horrendous suffering by helping to prevent them from ending up in the hands of cruel people. #3

With so many animals being euthanized for lack of good homes, we shouldn't be breeding more dogs of any kind. #4Pit bulls are bred for profit, neglected, fought, and abused based exclusively on their breed. People who have pit bulls' best interests at heart can agree that providing protections to and regulating these dogs based on their breed is not only fair, but essential. #5

Teresa Chagrin

Norfolk

Teresa Chagrin is with People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals.
First, someone needs to write the author and give her an education on the real world instead of the propaganda she has been fed by PETA!!

#1 this is the most rude and ignorant statement I have ever seen in print! really??? NICE people do not go to shelters to adopt pit bulls???? but the inference that dog fighters and thugs do? that statment is insulting to the shelter as well - as I am sure they would not knowingly adopt out any dog to a "thug" or for the purpose of dog fighting!

#2 And Peta is part of the problem - they meet these poor abused pit bulls, and are on record as saying they should be euthanized, in fact do euthanize more dogs that they rescue than they rehabilitate and place in new adoptive homes. PETA also has no plan in place nor suggestion to "educate" the general public on how to be a good and responsible dog owner

#2 and NO bans on breeding do nothing to save or protedt any dog from abuse - all breeding bans do is prohibit puppies being born. and once those "grandfather-in registered, well-cared for, spayed and neutered dogs" die - there will be no more pit bulls - and exactly how does breed extinction protect the breed?

#4 AHHHHH now we get to the real message - we should not be breeding ANY dogs - cause of dog overpopulation - Well there may be more pit bulls than there are knowledgeable homes to own them - but that is a discussion for another day - It is my opinion that it is an A/R myth that we have an overpopulation of dogs. To end the killing of animals in animal shelters, the total number of animals requiring adoption from shelters is between 5 million and 6 million. At the same time, there are about 20 million families looking to take in a new dog or cat each year. Pet overpopulation is a total myth. please read the article below
"Pet Overpopulation": Meme, Zeitgeist and Myth - Minneapolis Pets | Examiner.com

#5 NO I do not agree with this - what needs to be regulated and licensed is owners - I for one thinks people need to take a test and pass before being given a dog license - just like you get a license to drive a car, or get a hunting license before being allowed to hunt - its not the dogs or the breeds that are the problem - its the stupid people who will not do the min to put basic obedience training and house manners on their dogs - we need to stop laying the blame for when things go wrong on the poor dogs - we need to hold the OWNERS responsible for what their dogs do and how they act-

Sorry for the rant - but if we want to be able to keep our dogs - then we need to speak up and push back when idiot articles are run in the media - we can't let these lies and myths go unchallenged - I've already sent a letter to the editor and I suggest you all do the same

·
Bitch Noone Wanted
8,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MP - I gave you rep for the above post, I have to completely agree with you on ALL points in your post. great job!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
:goodpost: MP

1 - 5 of 5 Posts