Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have always been home with my dogs but in July I started school only from 8 am -12 pm. When I get back home smoke greats me and of course I don't say hello until all is calm. Here is the problem he will pick up my jacket, shoe, bag, food dish or whatever else Is near by and bring it to me. I have a friend taking him on his morning walks so his routine hasn't changed besides me leaving. But he repeatedly keeps bringing me whatever object. I take my shoe have him go lay down leave the room and he has my shoes bringing it back to me. Anyone else deal with this?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, no chewing just " handing " me all these random items. He has pushed the bathroom door so much that it doesn't latch right now so last week I'm in the bathroom he bust in to hand me a shoe.

Even if he doesn't chew he will pick his food dish up when it's full a dump kibble all over the floor. That is quiet irritating.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
My dog has been corrected hundreds of thousands of times in his nearly 3 year life to not bring slippers or sock to anyone who comes in the house that he is excited to see, we beat his ass for it and he still does it. We have kind of given up, its been 3 years and he like physically cannot help it, even when he knew he was going to get spanked and put in his kennel for doing it, he still did it and still does it. Its horrible lol, he also doesnt chew them either, just brings them to you when you come home.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I figured it was something I might have to accept. We had a bay window battle and it's been nearly two years I just said eff it and took the curtains down. If it doesn't turn into anything else I guess I will live with this like quirk too. When I have him outside in the kennel he carries his igloo house when I go out to let him in the house.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
Yea it might just be one of his quirks.. I know its just something Bear cannot help, no matter how we correct him and replace the item with a toy he still does it..

This is what he does.. (old pic of him being pouty with the slipper when we were ignoring him when he had them to see if that worked lol)

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried ignoring the behavior. That didn't help either I just ended up with a pouty pup too.

I do have to say Bear looks pretty guilty in that picture :)

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
You know the old saying, "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em"? If it's truly a habit you can't break, why not turn it into a training session and make it a useful habit? Start by "marking" when he brings you an item (a happy YES), and work on one item at a time, identifying it (food dish, YES; slipper YES), and then when you actually do want your slippers, you can have him go get them. That is, if you have the time to work with him (which it really only takes a few minutes each day to work with him on this). As for him dumping his food out of his dish... I get the impression you free feed (give him enough food to allow him access throughout the day whenever he wants it). This could be easily solved by putting him on a schedule, so that he's fed either once or twice a day, only as much as he'll actually eat. That would hopefully solve the problem with him dumping his food out of his dish to bring it to you.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
How about putting more balls out for him to play with? Trying to get him to pick up a ball every time someone comes home. My dog needs something in his mouth jut try and find something that is ok to play with. If he doesn't chew the slippers I don't see what the problem is personally who cares if he is carrying them lol Or how about not leaving your slippers around the house where he can get them?

Very very very few reasons, if any at all, would cause me to beat my dogs ass or punish him for my mistakes. I don't put my stuff where he can get it. Dogs are not little humans and you can't expect them to understand punishments the same way a child would understand.

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't free feed him. He started tipping out the food before he started bringing me random items. If I put my shoes in the closet he will bring me the couch pillow and it's impossible to put everything he is able to lift up out of his reach. I never beat my dog I do redirection. He has plenty of his things around but he grabs my stuff to give me.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I don't free feed him. He started tipping out the food before he started bringing me random items. If I put my shoes in the closet he will bring me the couch pillow and it's impossible to put everything he is able to lift up out of his reach. I never beat my dog I do redirection. He has plenty of his things around but he grabs my stuff to give me.
Start trading him with the toy he likes the most. Maybe he likes how it smells like you? Or was it the last thing you have touched?

Sent from Petguide.com App

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
I tried trading lol didnt work..

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I tried that too it was a no go. When I tell him to release it he does. That is why I said it was more annoying then anything lol. Like you said can't beat em, join em. I just never ran into a dog that did it before. But he gets his walks and his morning romp in the yard. He eats good sleeps good and healthy as a small horse. Could be worse behavior

·
Registered
74 Posts
Nope, no chewing just " handing " me all these random items. He has pushed the bathroom door so much that it doesn't latch right now so last week I'm in the bathroom he bust in to hand me a shoe.

Even if he doesn't chew he will pick his food dish up when it's full a dump kibble all over the floor. That is quiet irritating.
:rofl: Couldn't help but laugh. Sorry about your problem but that is freaking awesome. I wish my guy did that it would be so much easier getting ready for work in the morning.

·
Registered
901 Posts
I too don't see a real issue with it. You could come home to chewed up furniture. Have you tried placing a leash by the door or hang it outside a closet and teach him to get it when you arrive so you can take him for a walk when you arrive home. I think he is just letting you know he is glad to see you and offering you a gift.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts