Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE: I now have 2 other Pit mix's and live in NC. I go up a few times to visit my family and we get to see Special. We now understand Special a bit more. She's not Dog Aggressive, she just has a problem with introductions. We've broken the barrier a bit. Every time she meets a new dog we turn her around and let the other dog sniff her crotch first, then we do the same with the other dog, this eliminates the excitement that ends up pissing off the other dog or pissing her off. It has been foolproof and hopefully one day she won't need to do introductions this way.

Thank you to everyone for your advice, good or bad, you still made the effort to post.

My 4+ yr old APBT like the majority of Pits hates other dogs. She's the sweetest dog, but other dogs just don't work with her. I like to walk her but any time she see's another dog she starts pulling, even the choker won't hold her back.
Yesterday we went for a ride in the car and she saw another dog and jumped on my lap[all 60 lbs of her] and started barking out my window at the dog. now i'm getting afraid of taking her out of the house.

I keep hearing things like "don't take her out, just keep her home and give her affection" well she needs exercise as do i, our yard is less than 1/8 acre and most of that is taken up by a trampoline.

i'd like to walk the neighborhood with her problem free for once.
someone recommended using a "leave it" command, and it makes sense.

any other ideas to help us out?

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
try working with a trainer who can show you hands on how to get her attention and keep it. Another option may be to get a tread mill alot of people use that for execise and conditioning and it works great. Otherwise maybe rethink your walk times, I rescheduled a couple of mine for later in the day after dinner , I find less people are out at that time and I can get a more peaceful walk without off leash dogs or other walkers passing by. I use the "watch " command i teach them to focus on me and look at my face , we start using a treat to get there attention and then once we give the command "ok" they can look away. If they look away before the "ok" we do a simple correction get there attention again and redo it. once the ok is given they can look away and get rewarded. eventually you wont need a treat and wont need to raise your hand to your face they will just do it. I find that helps when trying to get past off leash dogs { which we have alot of here} and keep them focused on me rather then the other dog.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
I tried to be hard on my pup, but he did not respond well to prong collars and what not. What he did respond to was cheese. Its a lot of work and a long process, but I can get him to ignore dogs walking by us from about 10 feet away or so. He used to be at the end of his leash sometimes. Not all dogs bother him walking by, some he could care less about. Kinda what Angel said, my trainer had me do is get between the prey and get your dog to focus on you. Work on "look" in your house, when he has it, take him outside and get him to look at you instead of the other dog. You need something good that he wants more than to get at the other dog. In my boys case, its cheese. Nothing else would get his attention so when I leave the house I grab a stick of string cheese and as soon as I notice a cat or dog or whatever, I have him sit, paw, lay down, touch basically anything he knows he will get yummy cheese. He wants to work for me more than getting at the other dog. The key for me was getting him to feel safe and realize he doesn't have to pay attention to those other dogs cause he is getting good stuff when they are around.

Even have a trainer come for one session can really help you see what you could do different.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the only thing that will make the "look" technique part hard is that she's strong and i have to sit on her to keep me from getting dragged away. so unless i can see the dog before her it will be extremely hard.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
the only thing that will make the "look" technique part hard is that she's strong and i have to sit on her to keep me from getting dragged away. so unless i can see the dog before her it will be extremely hard.
yeah you totally have to be more aware than the dog, I spot them way before he does so I can get his attention. Pesky cats always get me though, they hide in the craziest places, and usually under cars so I will be on alert watching and miss the little buggers. This is why cats should only be allowed indoors, lol. That's no good he can drag you off. have you thought about another leash? http://www.bungeepupee.com/ is what I use so if there is a chance I miss something he can't get me off balance, the leash has cushion so my hand isn't pulled. He runs out and BOINGSSSS right back to me like "hey what just happened????"

·
Banned
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the last few days i've been turning her leash into a slip harness so when she runs it tightens up and slows her down and can hopefully keep her on all fours.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
the last few days i've been turning her leash into a slip harness so when she runs it tightens up and slows her down and can hopefully keep her on all fours.
check out those leashes, or walk your dog with a harness and a leash. God forbid you drop one and don't have a good grip, might be better to carry one in each hand? or get one of the ones I sent the link too. It really helped me before I got my boy fixed. Now he is fine, before he was always on the go go go and this leash really helped me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
there is a way you can tie the leash around their waist so when they go to pull, it tightens up around them and they will stop. my friends dog had that problem and wanted to pull and stuff like that the first time she did this the dog stopped after the first time he did it

·
Dare to dance the tide
12,401 Posts
Is there a palce you can go to walk that doesnt have alot of dogs around. If you do then I would go there while you work on the leave command.

To work the command I would find a place like a park( not a dog park) where you can sit with Special and let her look around but you can keep an eye out for dogs. Once you see one you get her to focus on you be it with treats a toy what ever she values. Praise her for keeping her focus on you if she looks at the dog turn her head back towards you holding the prize and if she looks at you even for a split second praise treat when she looks back at the dog a firm NO leave it. It is a lot of work but so worth it in the end.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
along with teaching the "leave it" command, i would recommend getting a prong or pinch collar, having a trainer show you how to properly fit it on your dog, and working with two short leashes, one on the pinch and one on the every day collar. I absolutely love the Herman Springer brand with the quick release, but they can be costly.

Also, if she is dragging you & not listening, it seems to me that you need to work on some reinforcement training with her, starting from the ground up with your very basic commands. At 4+ yrs old, she should be obedience trained, and if she's dragging you to the point you have to sit on her or stand on her lead, she's either not been thoroughly trained or is testing you to see what she can get away with.

I would recommend sending a pm to Lisa (performance kennels) and seeing if she can recommend a good trainer in your area to work with. While it's easy for us to offer recommendations for how we would handle a certain behavior or issue with our dogs, it's still difficult to show you without being able to be hands on so you can see what we're talking about, so a trainer would be a much better option.

Remember, Dog Aggression can't be trained out of your dog, but it can be redirected & controlled with proper and efficient training. By the way, welcome to our yard! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts