Go Pitbull Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, just posting to intro myself.

I've had dogs for years, and have worked for a veterinarian for 25 years. Everybody I work with has rescue pits (I see them referred to here as "petbulls"), and I've just taken in my first one.

I'm not sure if he is a purebred or not...thinking most likely not, as he was found tied to a post in a back parking lot with a 2 foot length of chain and no food or water. We estimated his age to be about 3 months...still has all his evil puppy teeth. I had recently lost my Boxer, and this guy came along at the right time.

He shares my home with my husband, a Lab, and a half French Bulldog half American Eskimo (both of which I rescued form work as young pups).

I've been lurking for a while, and have picked up some really good info here, so I thought I would register and participate.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
welcome to the forum , please share some pics of your fur babys would love to see them :) { all of them not just the pit bull )

·
Registered
17 Posts
Welcome out of lurking! haha I have just posted for 1st time too here in intro's also. Gosh it seems like so many pitbulls and other pitbull types, crosses etc get tied out and abandoned :( glad you rescued one of the many you should post a pic of yr rescue boy and other furry babies if you can :)

·
The Yard Of Many Colors
3,420 Posts
Welcome to GP :D

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Haha, you asked for it!!

This is Charlie, the boxer I lost on New Years Day...he was the best dog, and is kinda the standard I measure all my guys against. I had him for 11 years, and his rescue story is a long one. Short version, he was given up by a byb at 8 weeks old and weighed less than a pound. He was almost dead, and my husband and I managed to save him. We were inseperable, and I was heartbroken when he died. I honestly thought I was going to go crazy from grief.

This is Benny, the 1/2 frenchie, 1/2 eskie...product of a mismate by 2 champions. The breeder responsible for this litter wanted us to euthanize them if they turned out to be mixes (frenchies need c-sections), instead we asked her if we could bottle raise them and place them. I ended up keeping mine. He is way cool.

pups 013 by robzuk5, on Flickr

This is Katie, the Lab. She came to the clinic at 3 weeks old dying of peritonitis. She needed abdominal exploratory surgery (very risky), and the byb couldn't afford it, so he gave her to me so we could give it a try. She had about a 40% chance of surviving the surgery.

005 by robzuk5, on Flickr

And this is Maxx. He's still pretty young, so it'll be intersting to see what he matures into.

013 by robzuk5, on Flickr

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Welcome :) great pack you have there! Frenchie and american eskimo huh? What a combo lol! Hows his temperament? I've met alot of nasty Eskimos in the vet tech and grooming world but also a few sweet ones ;) your lab is a beauty! Great stories and happy endings :) I'd like to see more of Maxx. That pic and him being black I can barely make him out lol! He looks like a doll :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome :) great pack you have there! Frenchie and american eskimo huh? What a combo lol! Hows his temperament? I've met alot of nasty Eskimos in the vet tech and grooming world but also a few sweet ones ;) your lab is a beauty! Great stories and happy endings :) I'd like to see more of Maxx. That pic and him being black I can barely make him out lol! He looks like a doll :)
Bennt has a great temerament...he got moe of the frenchie personality than the hyper eskimo. He also got the frenchie ears too, when he was little those things were like kites!! He's my watch dog of the bunch!

Here's another couple of Maxx...this was his first day in the new home:

012 by robzuk5, on Flickr

Sharing a stick with his big sister:

011 by robzuk5, on Flickr

Here's a good one of his face:

pups 010 by robzuk5, on Flickr

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Awe! He's precious :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks! He's fitting in pretty well...right now he's snoring on the couch beside me...he's been outside for the past few hours playing.

He plays hard, and sleeps harder, lol.

What's your opinion on his mix? I say lab/pit (generic term I know)...my husband says lab/boxer. I don't really care, but I don't see much boxer in him.
I'm thinking that we may be able to tell a little better once he's grown up a bit...right now he's weighing in at 28 lbs, and still has all his puppy teeth, so he's got quite a bit of growing to do.

·
Work them Pet Bulls!
3,940 Posts
Lab/pit is probably a good call on his mix but who knows. He sure is a handsome boy and you definitely will get a better idea as he matures. I've seen a bunch of lab pit crosses that I knew for a fact were accidental litters and they resemble your boy ;)

·
Pits Are For Chicks
16,246 Posts
Good looking group! Welcome to the forum :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Thnx for sharing the the pix - they are all lovely and all suvivors wit yr help :angel: will have to keep us updated on yr lil black guy as he matures too :)

·
Premium Member
4,321 Posts
Cute pictures! Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks everybody, I think they're awesome too!!

Took the pup for a short hike yesterday on my break...he had a blast! He jumped up on a couple of downed trees and walked them like a tightrope, bobbed for leaves in the creek, and tried his best to pull me up the hill.

For such a young dog, he has awesome leash manners most of the time. He heels nicely, and sits when told.

We're still working on bite inhibition (as in "don't remove my fingers while taking the biscuit"), but he seems really smart....he's already learned to high five.

·
Super Moderator
11,000 Posts
Welcome! Such a good mix of pups you have. Very cute. Thanks for sharing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts