Go Pitbull Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Josey has been on Cephalexin for a skin infection on her paws - think it may be an infected bee sting. I have been successful giving the big capsules after her meal with a little rice and the capsule hidden in some cheese. She has been tolerating it pretty well for 6 days, but have noticed a little mucus in her poop today.
Any suggestions to help her continue taking it without tummy upsets? I seem to remember something about a little yogurt helping.
I tried giving it to her in a piece of hot dog tonight, (thinking the cheese could be the problem) but that was a disaster, so went back to the cheese.
Funny how quickly they learn things. The vet said to give with food so the 1st night I put the cheese pill on her food. She threw up that night and the vet said feed her wait about 15 min and then give the pill. She is slow to eat her food in the morning, so I've been breaking up a cookie in it to get her to eat. Then 15 minutes later the rice and cheese ball pill.
Now I see that she is expecting the cookie in her regular food and sits there when done waiting for the rice and cheese. As soon as I'm done giving the pills this routine will stop but for now I'm humoring her.
Any advice will be appreciated. Between the med routine and soaking her paws in Epson Salt twice a day she is one spoiled little girl.

·
Proud CGC Parent
1,782 Posts
Yogurt has good, natural probiotics in it that can help re-adjust the bacteria in her gut to a healthy balance. You can give her some plain yogurt on top of her food if you'd like.

Pumpkin is good too, to firm up stool.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.