Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this will be my second pit bull that I will be getting. i rescued the first one and she live a good long life. since then i always wanted another but want to raise one from a puppy rather than one that is older. none of the rescues by me have any younger pit bulls so i am looking to purchase one off of a good breeder. i know i dont want a bully type but a purebred pit bull. color or gender doesnt matter to me just a good companion. any suggestion i am happy to listen?

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Well, for starters, what is your work schedule like? You have to take into account how long the dog/pup will be left alone each day/night. How much time you'll have to work with it on training and socialization, what kind of lifestyle you lead, etc. If you can fill us in more, we can help you out more. Also, there's an entire Training section that covers obedience, bite inhibition, kennel training, socialization and other good stuff. I recommend you start by reading those before even getting a dog. Make sure you have the time and willingness to commit to a puppy.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I would suggest getting a dog with papers. Dont support byb lol. And make sure the puppy is screened for defects. Have some money saved so you can get all the shots and make sure the breeder has a good rep. I have seen breeders sell dogs that had parvo. I would also suggest taking the time out and reading some of the other threads, i believe there is one on getting a new puppy.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, for starters, what is your work schedule like? You have to take into account how long the dog/pup will be left alone each day/night. How much time you'll have to work with it on training and socialization, what kind of lifestyle you lead, etc. If you can fill us in more, we can help you out more. Also, there's an entire Training section that covers obedience, bite inhibition, kennel training, socialization and other good stuff. I recommend you start by reading those before even getting a dog. Make sure you have the time and willingness to commit to a puppy.
Sorry about lack of details. I am home all day as I work from home and am single. I had dogs my whole life and a friend of mine trains dogs for a living so he has worked with me before and will do it again. the dog wont be left alone a lot just when i go to the store and run erronds.

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would suggest getting a dog with papers. Dont support byb lol. And make sure the puppy is screened for defects. Have some money saved so you can get all the shots and make sure the breeder has a good rep. I have seen breeders sell dogs that had parvo. I would also suggest taking the time out and reading some of the other threads, i believe there is one on getting a new puppy.
I went over the thread on new puppies as well as some others before joing the forum.
I have a budget of $1k which would include initial vet visit.
what things should I ask the breeder for besides the registered papers

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been searching for breeders online but when i type in american pit bull terrier breeders i get alot of sites that have those huge bullies that look more like a beefed up english bulldog then a pit bull. i am thinking of going to a few shows to hopefully get some information or leads on some good breeders if nothiong else

·
Registered
151 Posts
That would be the best thing to do. The good breeder as like a referral service lol. By word of mouth you will find some really good breeders.

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Depending on the area you live in, you can attend dog shows (conformation, weight pull, agility, obedience, schutzund) and can get in touch with breeders at the shows and work your way in that way.

What are your long range goals for your relationship with the dog? What I mean is, do you want to show or compete in any events, or do you just want a pet? Have you checked local rescues in your area (not to be confused with a humane society or regular shelter)?

Being that you're relatively new to the forum and nobody really knows you, I can't point you to our breeders that are approved on here, but we do have some good folks here.

How long are you willing to wait for a pup? Or is this a must have right now kinda thing?

·
Banned
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Depending on the area you live in, you can attend dog shows (conformation, weight pull, agility, obedience, schutzund) and can get in touch with breeders at the shows and work your way in that way.

What are your long range goals for your relationship with the dog? What I mean is, do you want to show or compete in any events, or do you just want a pet? Have you checked local rescues in your area (not to be confused with a humane society or regular shelter)?

Being that you're relatively new to the forum and nobody really knows you, I can't point you to our breeders that are approved on here, but we do have some good folks here.

How long are you willing to wait for a pup? Or is this a must have right now kinda thing?
im not interested in showings or anything like that just want a loyal dog and what better way to go. i have looked in the local rescues and even farther ones but everyne i looked at had older dogs and none younger than 9 months. no time table on getting a pup really. of course i like one sooner than later but want to make sure the one i get is healthy and has good temperment. i know no matter waht the dog will be dog agressive up to a point but i dont have any other dogs, have a huge fenced in yard and plan on keeping him or her in the house. when i take it out i will still watch and no leave it supervised because i know they can get out of almost anything

·
APBT!
9,589 Posts
Sounds like you're on the right path and mindset of owning this breed. Glad to see there's no immediate demand for the pup, which means you can take your time to find the right one. You know, even reputable breeders produce pets that need good homes as well. I'm hoping a couple of our breeders will come across this and comment. I don't want to put anyone on the spot as of yet, for reasons like I already stated. Best of luck to you in your search for the right pup. And of course, please keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
9,147 Posts
buying a dog with papers doesnt mean they arent a BYB , alot of BYB have papered dogs. And selling a pup that HAD parvo is fine as long as it has been treated and they are over it , Selling a dog WITH parvo is another thing.

to the OP, I would ask to see vet records of there dogs to see if they have been kept up { or proof that they do vaccinations and such , some breeders do there own vet care for the most part} I would ask to see health certificates OFA , PENN hip ect and the scores of everything. Take some time talking with the breeders meet at there place and have them show you around there kennel set up and there dogs. if they dont have anything to hide they will have no problem with that. Also meet the parents of your dog hands on check them out for any major flaws look at the structure , bite , movement { even a novice can pick up if they arent moving right or if something is majorly off } temperment should be very important when picking a pup so checking on the parents temperment is important. if the breeder shows or works there dogs ask for titles or pictures some sort of proof of this. Spending some time with the pups is a good thing as well getting a feel for which one has the personality you like the one that seems to bond with you and dont let anyone rush you if you need to sleep on it then do so. My 1st pup I was rushed { not by the breeder just my lack ofknowledge on what to look at and was in a rush to get a puppy, I lucked out with her thankfully she is a blessing for sure } Also make sure a contract is used and go through it thoroughly with the breeder { usually they provide one stating what they cover health wise ect } check what health defects they cover and what isnt if a breeder isnt willing to back there dogs up to a certain extent then its not a good deal to go into.

·
Registered
151 Posts
buying a dog with papers doesnt mean they arent a BYB , alot of BYB have papered dogs. And selling a pup that HAD parvo is fine as long as it has been treated and they are over it , Selling a dog WITH parvo is another thing.

to the OP, I would ask to see vet records of there dogs to see if they have been kept up { or proof that they do vaccinations and such , some breeders do there own vet care for the most part} I would ask to see health certificates OFA , PENN hip ect and the scores of everything. Take some time talking with the breeders meet at there place and have them show you around there kennel set up and there dogs. if they dont have anything to hide they will have no problem with that. Also meet the parents of your dog hands on check them out for any major flaws look at the structure , bite , movement { even a novice can pick up if they arent moving right or if something is majorly off } temperment should be very important when picking a pup so checking on the parents temperment is important. if the breeder shows or works there dogs ask for titles or pictures some sort of proof of this. Spending some time with the pups is a good thing as well getting a feel for which one has the personality you like the one that seems to bond with you and dont let anyone rush you if you need to sleep on it then do so. My 1st pup I was rushed { not by the breeder just my lack ofknowledge on what to look at and was in a rush to get a puppy, I lucked out with her thankfully she is a blessing for sure } Also make sure a contract is used and go through it thoroughly with the breeder { usually they provide one stating what they cover health wise ect } check what health defects they cover and what isnt if a breeder isnt willing to back there dogs up to a certain extent then its not a good deal to go into.
I know somem papered dogs are byb i meant get a papered a dog and do not support byb totally different. I just wish there wasnt any byb period. Too many pitbulls out there.. espeacially neglected ones. yea i dont know if those dog had parvo before or after but i get it ;)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I know somem papered dogs are byb i meant get a papered a dog and do not support byb totally different. I just wish there wasnt any byb period. Too many pitbulls out there.. espeacially neglected ones.
BYB need to be reported if you ever come across one. Even if you don't have a lot of proof, just suspicion, your local Animal Protection, will be glad you did & will do a follow up :)

Good luck on finding your new puppy :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts