Go Pitbull Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 166 Posts

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now before everyone gets up set I understand that most dogs have some level of da but while reading a book by colby they talked about some of the old game dogs being fine with other dogs and not even getting to excited in the box until the work had to be done and afterwards the dog would be just fine with other dogs again. Something about it wasnt until they were squared(sp) off in the box that they would turn on. Since most agree that da has nothing to do with gameness I was wondering if any bloodlines were like this today cause I would like to look into them or learn more about those bloddlines. any help would be nice

·
Premium Member
379 Posts
If you raise a gamebred dog from a pup, and take him to puppy training classes and teach him to socialize with other dogs from the beginning, you can do it with any line. I wouldn't trust them alone with another dog, because all it takes is a spark. An example, my two gamebred dogs are fine for 2 years. They're looking out my front window and a rabbit is sitting right there. Shaking and whining at the bunny and one bumps the other. Game on.

·
Banned
835 Posts
the best analogy i can give would be along the lines of
wanting a slow greyhound, a trail hound without vocal cords
or a nose-less bloodhound.
when selecting a breed of dog one must consider their options
very carefully. the game bred pit bull is not for the novice dog
owner, and i would strongly advise going another route until
you've acquired the necessary skills to properly contain and
responsibly own said animal.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
one you need to read my post yes the title may have been wrong since I meant less-da and my post was about colby discribing pit dogs that were not very da until in the pit not I do not plan on getting another dog till later since I have my young dog already
And a better example would be of wanting something like a boxer will to fight may even like to but not trying to attack eveything . In the book he said newer dogmen thought a dog that was da was game but he didnt agree and that it wasnt always like this so my question was if any breeders tried to follow this line of thought.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you raise a gamebred dog from a pup, and take him to puppy training classes and teach him to socialize with other dogs from the beginning, you can do it with any line.
Thanks this is the type of info I was wonder about. now after the rabbit did the dogs get along after that

·
Registered
116 Posts
All gamebred bulldogs have a level of DA to them. Some go insane at the site of another dog while others will tolerate other dogs while not in a [] as long as they do not try to challenge them. Not sure about specific lines throwing specifically situationally aggressive bulldogs but Gambler's Virgil was great with other dogs and animals while not in the [] and heard that that was passed into his offspring

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All gamebred bulldogs have a level of DA to them. Some go insane at the site of another dog while others will tolerate other dogs while not in a [] as long as they do not try to challenge them. Not sure about specific lines throwing specifically situationally aggressive bulldogs but Gambler's Virgil was great with other dogs and animals while not in the [] and heard that that was passed into his offspring
So it would be something that a person would have to track and learn about the individual dogs and then hope for the best.

·
Registered
600 Posts
To answer your title question, there is no such line.

There have been plenty of pit dogs that were "calm" around other dogs but not "da".

A dog that will not start a fight but will finish one, or needs only a little encouragment is still a da dog if it wasnt a da dog it wouldnt do anything, this would make it a "cold" dog.

A cold dog is a cold dog, but like there are degrees of gameness, the are degrees of how cold a dog can be[colds cold if you ask me but these days alot of people define it differently].

What you are asking about is realy if there are any lines that are not as "fight crazy" ie lunging and screaming at the site of another dog, whinning and getting all riled up simply because it can see another canine there.
And again with this there is no such line. It realy all down to the individual dog.
The best chance is to go to a show and find someone who has nothing but show dogs in their peds for a few gens, in only a few gens gamness is nearly completely lost and the da level does seem to go down, there are a bunch of people down here who have bought dogs with gamedogs after the fourth gen and they act like a standard lab , andhave regular "play dates" with their dogs. I have had one cold dog in my care and it was a pleasure to have around quite a difference to the others, ive seen a couple non "fight crazy" dogs and they were hard to look after as they can trick you into not being as vigilant , one slip of your mind and its on still.

At least with a fight crazy dog you know what its agenda is all the time.

Some old dog me wouldnt evr tolerate a fight crazy dog and saw it as a sign of being a rank cur.

·
Banned
835 Posts
"Some old dog me wouldnt evr tolerate a fight crazy dog and saw it as a sign of being a rank cur."

tell that to CHINAMAN OR BULLYSON. :snap:

·
Banned
835 Posts
roger that...but i guess a fight crazy dog is better than a cold
mess. lol at least the wiring is right.

i never heard about "the generals" snack...lol
let me guess... ouchies!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Well yeah apparently he took a chunk out of an opponent during a match and swallowed it skin and all before taking another hold!
He also tryed to eat a bitch they were going to put him over, started off ok and when they came back he was trying to eat her alive, crazy mofo to not be put off by the heat.

Ive heard about an idiot taking a dog in heat to a match and she was in the back tray area next to a male for the entire drive to the match which was eight hours, by the time the male got his turn he was that stuck on the want to mount he got his rear handed to him and the fella ended up going home with one less dog.
The idiot friend nearly lost his dog when everyone else there found out why said dog wasnt "right" in the box.

So they nearly went home with no dogs.

·
Banned
835 Posts
the dog in heat scenario should have been common sense to
not ever letting a match dog be with-in any distance of a female in heat
during a keep...not to mention riding shotgun to the show with one. lol

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
At least with a fight crazy dog you know what its agenda is all the time.

Some old dog me wouldnt evr tolerate a fight crazy dog and saw it as a sign of being a rank cur.
well while ready the colby book i read something like this and it got me curious if any one tried to focus on this type of dog
thanks for your comments

·
Silver VIP Member
2,261 Posts
Santa's Gr Ch Mongoose
Santa's Gr Ch Mongoose
Bred by Rushin Kennels, Mongoose or "Goose" as he is commonly called won his first three for the Havana Boys. Havana Chico ran into some problems and had to sell him, which is when we acquired him and finished him off for his Grand Championship.

It is hard to describe Goose’s "Pit Manor". You would put him in the box and he seemed to know that he was going to win. While the other dog looked angry and anxious, Goose always seemed calm and determined. Once the ref. announced "Release", he would trot at a medium pace and meet the dog in the center. It was once they met Goose showed his true splendor. Goose was the kind of a dog that fought from his heart straight to his mouth, not the other way around like a lot of hardmouthed dogs do. He would walk into ten hits just to get his one, and when he did the other dog would look up at you, his eyes seeming to say, "Why couldn’t I have been born a Poodle?" He never shook real hard or bit sporadically. He would just grab a leg and sink his teeth into it until it broke, then he’d move to another leg. After that, if the other dog was willing or able to scratch, he would hit the chest. This would accomplish putting the dog out of his misery most times, except for the case when the other dog had enough juice left in him to jump the wall.

Goose was not only tremendous in the box, but he was good around people too. He always seemed to be relaxed, not barking much either. He’d sit and let birds bathe in his water bowl, and roll on his back to let puppies nip at his chest and his feet. And as soon as you showed him the mill, he would jump right on and practically condition himself, hardly stopping to take a deep breath. You couldn’t ask for a better dog, he was an "Ace", and anyone who has seen him go will agree, I’m sure.

Goose is currently under the watchful eye of a close friend, Mr. Bill. Bill’s medical knowledge has made it possible for Goose to still be with us. I am glad to say, Goose is alive and well because of it. Grand Champion Goose now waits to be bred, and have his offspring make him a Register of Merit. Of the dogs he has already put on the ground there are several winners. Hemlock’s Badger 1xw in 1 hr. 14 min., Havana Chico’s Goose Jr. 1xw in 3hrs!!!, and Mr. Bill’s Ms. Goose 2xw.

Yours in sport,

Santa & The Heartbreak Kid

Jersey Boy’s Maniac 23 minutes 32

Cuban Cowboy’s Bullet 14 minutes 34

Brown Shoes’ Champ 25 minutes 33.5

Upstate Kennels’ Nate 1 hr. 14 minutes 35

Frank P’s Benny 28 minutes 35.5

Gr Ch Mongoose's Online Pedigree
SANTA'S MONGOOSE

·
Fat-Dogs-R-Us
8,760 Posts
A dog that will not start a fight but will finish one, or needs only a little encouragment is still a da dog if it wasnt a da dog it wouldnt do anything, this would make it a "cold" dog.
I'm sorry, but i really disagree with this statement.

Just because your dog fights back or finishes a dog does not make it DA. It happens often that a dog will turn on in the right situations, but it doesn't classify a dog as DA in my book.

A cold dog is a cold dog and IMO it doesn't fall into the comparison chart for me.

It realy all down to the individual dog.
This statement is what I will stand behind.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Some dogs need a "bump" to get started, after that they are DA from that point on if they start up. So Junkyard is correct.

1 - 20 of 166 Posts